Anyone else find the way Michelle talks about gay people cringeworthy?

Comments

• VeriVeri Posts: 96,996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Boyard wrote: »
    Diary room yesterday: "I connect well with Kavana, not just because of the gay thing" (You're not gay, love) "I like Callum, even though I'm not used to straight men"

I find the way she's made herself spokesperson for the gay community and divides gays/straights as if they're different breeds a little crass. People are people! Everyone is different! As a gay man she's the type of woman I run away from. I feel like those kind of women only want to be friends with me cause I'm gay, not cause they like me as a person. Especially if they say stuff like "I've always wanted a gay friend! We can go shopping together!" I have friends, not **** hags. I saw her refer to herself in an interview as "a gay man's best friend" She probably also thinks she's "a gay man trapped in a woman's body" rolleyes

But shortly after your post says "People are people! Everyone is different!", it starts talking of a "type of woman", "those kind of women", and "**** hags". What's happened to everyone being different?

I think that, as is often the case, the truth is somewhere in the middle. Everyone is different in some way or another, but there are also similarities. But similarities shouldn't be turned into stereotypes which obscure important differences and can easily become vehicles of prejudice.

(I do not, btw, agree with the view that stereotypes are always based on a core of truth. Perhaps some are; but many, at least, are not. But even if there is a core of truth, stereotyping treats it as something more.)
    pompeybird wrote: »
    Exactly what i thought. I neither like or dislike her but this whole Gay thing is becoming boring.
    People are PEOPLE not labels !!!
    Gay should not be an issue but she seems hell bent on bringing it into the limelight every chance she gets.

What do you think of the label "**** hag" which has been used by more than one post in this thread to stereotype Michelle?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 381
    Forum Member
    Veri wrote: »
    But shortly after your post says "People are people! Everyone is different!", it starts talking of a "type of woman", "those kind of women", and "**** hags". What's happened to everyone being different?

I think that, as is often the case, the truth is somewhere in the middle. Everyone is different in some way or another, but there are also similarities. But similarities shouldn't be turned into stereotypes which obscure important differences and can easily become vehicles of prejudice.

(I do not, btw, agree with the view that stereotypes are always based on a core of truth. Perhaps some are; but many, at least, are not. But even if there is a core of truth, stereotyping treats it as something more.)

What do you think of the label "**** hag" which has been used of Michelle by more than one post in this thread?
    I think its wrong.
  • Nearly NewNearly New Posts: 1,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What do you think of the label "**** hag" which has been used by more than one post in this thread to stereotype Michelle?

A stereotype she seems keen to perpetuate for herself to line her pockets and purse with those pink pounds.

She's the most insincere person in the house.
  • paralaxparalax Posts: 12,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She does go on, but she is passionate, it comes from the heart, rather than being patronising.
  • anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    P!nk is also a spokesperson for the "gay community" (i dont know why it should be called that as they are the same as anyone else) but in my opinion she comes across the right way ..... In other words dont go shouting about it singling people out because of their sexuality but encourage people they are no different and to be proud of who you are. Michelle could learn a thing or two from her.
    Its not about how loud or often you shout something its more about the actions that go with it.

Maybe Pink genuinely cares about people?
  • Penny CrayonPenny Crayon Posts: 36,158
    Forum Member
    anne_666 wrote: »
    I would assume she's married to a straight man and has not spent her life surrounded by gay men apart from him. Just more of her rubbish really. Her patronising, stereotyping and know it all attitude towards gay men is quite shocking. She is the one identifying other people by their sexuality. It's insulting and does not belong in current time.. She makes money from her crap about LBGT people, that's about it for me. I don't listen to her any longer. She's the exact opposite of practically everything she has to repeatedly tell us she is. Her hypocrisy and lack of back bone is off putting, to say the least.

I often read a post and think WOW - I wish I'd written that and then when I look who's posted it - more often than not it's you;-)

100% agree with that^^
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 381
    Forum Member
    Maybe Pink genuinely cares about people?
    Absolutely. Im a HUGE fan of the women and everything she stands for. That sort of thing she handles with dignity and sensitivity (when its needed). I could never imagine her shouting about "her gay community" the way Michelle does. :)
  • youngthing12youngthing12 Posts: 707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Michelle is all for herself and the the other two
    Witches in the coven 😱
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Michelle is all for herself and the the other two
    Witches in the coven 😱

Language such as "witches" and "coven" is misogynist in a way akin to stereotyping. :(
  • SeymourSeymour Posts: 8,248
    Forum Member
    P!nk is also a spokesperson for the "gay community" (i dont know why it should be called that as they are the same as anyone else) but in my opinion she comes across the right way ..... In other words dont go shouting about it singling people out because of their sexuality but encourage people they are no different and to be proud of who you are. Michelle could learn a thing or two from her.
    Its not about how loud or often you shout something its more about the actions that go with it.

I agree ! The more Michelle shout the less I listen, imo she found a way to make money....She just don't do it for me.
  • wildparkwildpark Posts: 1,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "100% agree with that"

I often read a post and think WOW - What a lot of crap and then when I look who's posted it - more often than not it's you;-)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I often read a post and think WOW - I wish I'd written that and then when I look who's posted it - more often than not it's you;-)

100% agree with that^^

Thank you love. Mutual appreciation society anyone? Same here. There are a handful of FM's who's posts I have to read, whether I agree or not. You are one of them. :D
    Forum Member
    Language such as "witches" and "coven" is misogynist in a way akin to stereotyping. :(

I suppose it is but ................it's a forum - a bit of artistry and colourful language makes it far more interesting - I like the more imaginative descriptions and discussions. It's all part of the fun - even if I disagree with some of the opinions.

It'd be bloody boring if we just stuck to 'bland' language.

It's a place to let our hair down and rant a bit isn't it - it's not a solicitors office/web site.
    Forum Member
    wildpark wrote: »
    "100% agree with that"

I often read a post and think WOW - What a lot of crap and then when I look who's posted it - more often than not it's you;-)

Get away with your flattery - you'll have me blushing :blush:
  • japarajapara Posts: 1,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Exactly this.

I was thinking...imagine if that was a straight male in there 'representing' the 'female community', saying he didn't speak to other men and criticising the women for letting down other women. He'd be laughed out of town.

Or a white person acting as spokesperson or guardian for black people. It would seem preposterous and really patronising.

It's a tricky one cos I respect her passion, loyalty and empathy. And any minority group experiencing discrimination should have champions of every colour, creed, gender, etc to reach a wider audience. Martin Luther King and the civil rights movement had a lot of important white support. The feminist movement had male support. But they cant be more than that. They cant be the main voice cos they just don't have the same 'rights of ownership' if they don't (and never will) walk in the other person's shoes.

Brilliant post
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Get away with your flattery - you'll have me blushing :blush:

I thought it was aimed at me:cry:.....boo hoo, heartbroken here :cry::cry::cry:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suppose it is but ................it's a forum - a bit of artistry and colourful language makes it far more interesting - I like the more imaginative descriptions and discussions. It's all part of the fun - even if I disagree with some of the opinions.

It'd be bloody boring if we just stuck to 'bland' language.

It's a place to let our hair down and rant a bit isn't it - it's not a solicitors office/web site.

Language doesn't have to be bland, or to lack colour or imagination, in order to avoid misogynist stereotypes. Indeed, language like "witches" and "coven" is anything but imaginative, and it distorts rather than clarifies what's happening.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Drag acts can be incredibly indirectly misogynistic so Michelle herself seems perfectly happy to peddle stereotypes of women and gay men in equal measure.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,081
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    [QUOTE=anne_666;76618261]I would assume she's married to a straight man and has not spent her life surrounded by gay men apart from him. Just more of her rubbish really. Her patronising, stereotyping and know it all attitude towards gay men is quite shocking. She is the one identifying other people by their sexuality. It's insulting and does not belong in current time.. She makes money from her crap about LBGT people, that's about it for me. I don't listen to her any longer. She's the exact opposite of practically everything she has to repeatedly tell us she is. Her hypocrisy and lack of back bone is off putting, to say the least.[/QUOTE]

Although i agree with the most things you stated but Michelle was heavily involved in the ballroom scene which is 99.9% gay.

I admire that she has so much love for the gay community and vice versa but she's needs to stop acting like she's Harvey Milk.
  • DoggyphantDoggyphant Posts: 150
    Forum Member
    To put things into context: the US is behind the UK in terms of gay rights.

Homosexual acts were decriminalised in England & Wales in 1967, in Scotland in 1981 and in Northern Ireland in 1982. In the US it wasn't until 2003 that the US Supreme Court made homosexuality legal in every state.

In the US ten years ago George W Bush had been sworn in for a second term as President. A key part of that strategy was to put same-sex marriage referenda on the ballots of as many states as possible to get a high turnout from the majority that at the time opposed gay marriage. In contrast at the same time in the UK Civil Partnerships were being introduced to recognize gay relationships.

Majority approval of same sex marriage in the US only passed 50% in 2011 (on a side note approval of marriage between blacks and whites in the US only passed 50% in 1997 :o) and you still won't find many Republicans who support gay marriage even though the courts have now legalised it in the majority of US States.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,182
    Forum Member
    Love her in RuPaul's dragrace, but I find the constant reference and hyperbole about the LGBT community a little cringe-worthy now. As a people, we don't need a spokesperson, and no one elected Michelle to represent anyone but herself. Calm down love, you don't have to make every situation a political rally on gay rights and gay freedom. For someone who supposedly studied the British culture, she sure got this one wrong, as I think most people are turned off by her LGBT rants and hyperbole to the point where they won't want her to win now. Such a shame as I had high hopes for her.
  • wildparkwildpark Posts: 1,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was aimed at me:cry:.....boo hoo, heartbroken here :cry::cry::cry:

No, No, it was directed at Penny Crayon. She got THAT right :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sootysoo wrote: »
    Love her in RuPaul's dragrace, but I find the constant reference and hyperbole about the LGBT community a little cringe-worthy now. As a people, we don't need a spokesperson, and no one elected Michelle to represent anyone but herself. Calm down love, you don't have to make every situation a political rally on gay rights and gay freedom. For someone who supposedly studied the British culture, she sure got this one wrong, as I think most people are turned off by her LGBT rants and hyperbole to the point where they won't want her to win now. Such a shame as I had high hopes for her.

Exactly how I feel. She may love the UK (or is that another tactic?) but she clearly doesn't understand us.
  • rowing8rowing8 Posts: 210
    Forum Member
    Boyard wrote: »
    Diary room yesterday: "I connect well with Kavana, not just because of the gay thing" (You're not gay, love) "I like Callum, even though I'm not used to straight men"

I find the way she's made herself spokesperson for the gay community and divides gays/straights as if they're different breeds a little crass. People are people! Everyone is different! As a gay man she's the type of woman I run away from. I feel like those kind of women only want to be friends with me cause I'm gay, not cause they like me as a person. Especially if they say stuff like "I've always wanted a gay friend! We can go shopping together!" I have friends, not **** hags. I saw her refer to herself in an interview as "a gay man's best friend" She probably also thinks she's "a gay man trapped in a woman's body" rolleyes
    Wow ! Very well said. I wish the lady in question could read this. She does talk about Gays as if they are from a far off planet and that she is the only one with understanding and compassion.
  • broadshoulderbroadshoulder Posts: 18,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh look hundreds of straight people object to what she says

She can say what she likes