Sky Living: Strange skipping problem

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,367
Forum Member
✭✭
For weeks now, episodes of Bones, Grey's Anatomy and Criminal Minds have had this strange problem. There's at least one occurrence during most episodes when it skips forward, probably about half a second. The picture doesn't break up or anything - it's literally like there's a fraction of a second missing completely, both picture and sound.

I'm watching these episodes on Sky+, but it doesn't happen with anything else I've recorded. The common factor is that all of these programmes are broadcast on Sky Living. As I said, it isn't like when weather or a poor signal affects the picture or sound quality.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi,

I've noticed this issue on Sky 1 and Sky Atlantic, it's been happening for months. There was a thread about it a while ago and IIRC Sky were looking into it, but the issue still persists. One thing I'm not sure of though is if this occurs only on recordings, or if it's also present on the live broadcast. I don't tend to watch much TV 'live', so I've only noticed this on recordings.

I don't watch anything on Sky Living, but I suspect this is the same issue.
  • lozloz Posts: 4,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have you done a planner rebuild? That seems to clear these kinds of glitches in my experience.

Even though you are not watching a recording, if you have the live rewind buffer switched on you might find that it helps to rebuild.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 349
    Forum Member
    For weeks now, episodes of Bones, Grey's Anatomy and Criminal Minds have had this strange problem. There's at least one occurrence during most episodes when it skips forward, probably about half a second. The picture doesn't break up or anything - it's literally like there's a fraction of a second missing completely, both picture and sound.

I'm watching these episodes on Sky+, but it doesn't happen with anything else I've recorded. The common factor is that all of these programmes are broadcast on Sky Living. As I said, it isn't like when weather or a poor signal affects the picture or sound quality.

Has anyone else noticed this?

It is nothing to do with the signal or your equipment but solely down to poor quality broadcasts from Sky, which they have admitted. (affecting Sky branded entertainment channels). This has now been going on since March (since we begun subscribing) and Sky seem powerless to be able to solve it. It has driven us nuts and almost made us cancel our subscription.

PLEASE submit a report on the Sky Help Forum via this link: http://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Sky-HD-Picture-Sound/Digital-Artefacts-Picture-Jumping-and-Sound-Drop-Out-Sky/td-p/159863

I suspect that many many others have experienced this problem and wasted their time and money on getting engineers to come out and according to reports from subscribers, are ignorant and clueless about the issue.

I have e-mailed the Sky Executive Team about this issue who got all snotty when I mentioned compensation (they say the have briefed Customer Services now but I take that with a pinch of salt) and say they will only consider it and make a 'business decision' when the issue has been resolved! But god knows when this will be.
  • lozloz Posts: 4,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Johnyad wrote: »
    It is nothing to do with the signal or your equipment but solely down to poor quality broadcasts from Sky, which they have admitted. (affecting Sky branded entertainment channels). This has now been going on since March (since we begun subscribing) and Sky seem powerless to be able to solve it. It has driven us nuts and almost made us cancel our subscription.

PLEASE submit a report on the Sky Help Forum via this link: http://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Sky-HD-Picture-Sound/Digital-Artefacts-Picture-Jumping-and-Sound-Drop-Out-Sky/td-p/159863

I suspect that many many others have experienced this problem and wasted their time and money on getting engineers to come out and according to reports from subscribers, are ignorant and clueless about the issue.

I have e-mailed the Sky Executive Team about this issue who got all snotty when I mentioned compensation (they say the have briefed Customer Services now but I take that with a pinch of salt) and say they will only consider it and make a 'business decision' when the issue has been resolved! But god knows when this will be.

That's interesting as I wasn't aware of the problem.
    I watch Sky Atlantic - I watched the Borgias for example that several people seem to have complained about - and have never been aware of the problem. Same on Sky One which I watch a lot of.

Mods should move this thread to Sky
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 349
    Forum Member
    loz wrote: »
    That's interesting as I wasn't aware of the problem.
    I watch Sky Atlantic - I watched the Borgias for example that several people seem to have complained about - and have never been aware of the problem. Same on Sky One which I watch a lot of.

Mods should move this thread to Sky

And I believe that's the main difficulty Sky have experienced in trying to solve the problem, in that it has not and does not affect everybody. And a request to the mods, please could you keep this thread in this forum as more people are likely to read it? Fair enough if you have to move it.