Options

Vitamin B12 and B6. Can they make you feel dizzy?

Black VelvetBlack Velvet Posts: 702
Forum Member
✭✭
On Monday I bought in Superdrugs a bottle of B12 Vitamins and a bottle of B6. I thought it might do me some good. I'm not usually one for taking vitamins tablets as I eat I think a balanced diet.
Today I went dizzy and thought I was going to pass out. It may have been the heat in the shop but I didn't find it that warm.I got hold of the edge of one of the book tables and much to my relief I gained my composure. But I felt a bit giddy a few times after that but have been okay since I have been home. No I'm not pregnant as at my age If I were I would baffle medical science:D the last time I had my blood pressure taken it was normal and I had had a sandwich and a cup of tea previous to the dizzy turn.
I'm wondering as I can't think of anything else that could have caused it other than I have taken these tablets for four days now.
My daughter thought it could be a bug but I am feeling okay now.

Comments

• Options
    SherbetLemonSherbetLemon Posts: 4,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know about B6, but B12 supplements are fairly pointless as the body can only absorb a small amount of it, and passes the rest out naturally. People who are genuinely low on B12 are given injections for this reason. So no, you won't have absorbed enough B12 to cause side effects.

Get yourself checked out at your GP, where they can determine if there is something causing your dizziness.
  • Options
    bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't know about B6, but B12 supplements are fairly pointless as the body can only absorb a small amount of it, and passes the rest out naturally. People who are genuinely low on B12 are given injections for this reason.

B12 supplements are not pointless, they are essential for vegans but can often be good for non vegans as well because being low is not uncommon. B12 injections are given but recent research shows that mega oral doses can be just as effective even among those lacking intrinsic factor. Mega doses are given because as you say only a small amount is absorbed so you have to take more than you would need.

It's very very unlikely to have anything to do with the pills, much more likely to be a bug or something else.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,497
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Interesting thread. I started taking vitamin b6 about 3 weeks ago, I was prescribed them by my doctor to try and balance out my hormones (and moods lol). I cannot get up of the chair I am sitting on without taking a fuzzy dizzy turn, some are worse than others, mostly it passes within a second and I regain my sight, but I also have turns where I feel like the blood is rushing to my head, I feel like I am taking a hot flush and I can't see and have to steady myself by hanging onto something until it passes (normally about 30 seconds, but feels longer). I never even considered the B6, I thought it was because I lost alot of weight recently due to illness. I might talk to doctor about it though.

Anyone else had experience of dizziness with B6 vitamins?
  • Options
    Black VelvetBlack Velvet Posts: 702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I phoned up my doctor's and one of the nurses I know spoke to me. she had asked my doctor if these vitamins could cause me to feel dizzy and lightheaded. My doctor said she thought it unlikely and more likely that my blood sugar level had dropped.
    But no getting away with it. If you put into your search engine asking if these vitamins had any side effects certainly the B12 can cause a rash make you itchy and cause you to feel dizzy. I have felt a bit itchy but no rash.
  • Options
    DarthchaffinchDarthchaffinch Posts: 7,558
    Forum Member
    I phoned up my doctor's and one of the nurses I know spoke to me. she had asked my doctor if these vitamins could cause me to feel dizzy and lightheaded. My doctor said she thought it unlikely and more likely that my blood sugar level had dropped.
    But no getting away with it. If you put into your search engine asking if these vitamins had any side effects certainly the B12 can cause a rash make you itchy and cause you to feel dizzy. I have felt a bit itchy but no rash.

every single drug on the market has probably has these side effects associated with them at one point or another (to a minor degree usually).
  • Options
    humdrummerhumdrummer Posts: 4,487
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't get too hung up on it being the vitamins because there are a multitude of reasons why you might feel dizzy from pregnancy to low blood pressure to an inner ear infection - to 'list is endless'.

See how you go and if it persists see your doctor. If you are certain it's the vits just stop taking them.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,145
    Forum Member
    it could be a niacin reaction, which AKAIK is something do with one of the vitamin b's. It makes your skin flush and prickle like an allergic reaction, you get dizzy and feel pretty crap for a bit.

I got one taking some sh*tty diet pills when I was young. I thought I was dying. It was horrid. I was told to stay away from niacin and too much vitamin b something (but it was so long ago I can't remember which one!)
  • Options
    SherbetLemonSherbetLemon Posts: 4,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bobcar wrote: »
    B12 supplements are not pointless, they are essential for vegans but can often be good for non vegans as well because being low is not uncommon. B12 injections are given but recent research shows that mega oral doses can be just as effective even among those lacking intrinsic factor. Mega doses are given because as you say only a small amount is absorbed so you have to take more than you would need.
    The OP was taking B12 in the hope it might "do some good", not because she is low in B12 or is a vegan. That, to me, is pointless.

When my sister was given B12 injections last year, she did not lack intrinsic factor, and her B12 reading was only slightly lower than normal. Yet still both her GP and two nurses administering the injections each advised against supplements because the doses/absorption rates are so low.

I would be interested to read any online evidence you have - from a scientific or medical source of course - that backs up your comment that "recent research shows that mega oral doses can be just as effective" [as B12 injections].