Anybody tried using a Tens Machine?

Black VelvetBlack Velvet Posts: 702
Forum Member
✭✭
My elderly mother was given a tens machine from the pain clinic at hospital to try.
She is nearly ninety and suffers from osteroarthritis. Her nerves in her back have worn and she takes tablets for the pain.
When she saw the phisio this week a tens machine was mentioned. They gave her an assessment and decided to try the tens machine for a few weeks. Because she could reach round her back they didn't see a problem with her using it.
When she got home she tried to use but she did not know how to. They hadn't even shown her.
Has anybody here ever tried using a tens machine and anybody if they did see any improvement in their condition?

Comments

• RandomSallyRandomSally Posts: 7,071
    Forum Member
    I did for both births I had and though others swore by them it made no difference for me.
  • icic Posts: 903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I used one for a back injury and had no relief from it whatsoever .
  • phepiaphepia Posts: 1,475
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I use a tens machine everyday as a top up to pain relief.
    I have bicep tendonitis and osteo arthritis in shoulders and some days the pain releif just doesn't do it for me, and the machine just helps that bit more.

I suggest she hire/loan one and try it. For me personally it helps
  • el1aineel1aine Posts: 381
    Forum Member
    yes I have one for a back condition. It does ease the pain a bit so I feel it is worth using, but unfortunately it is not a once and for all cure for me.
    Did they not provide a booklet which explains how to use the machine? There are two pads attached to a wire, (with the unit switched off) plug the wire in to channel 1, once the pads are plugged in to the main unit (with the machine switched off) the pads have to be slightly moistened and then placed on the back near to where the pain is worse, as an example at the back of the shoulders each side. Then switch on, press the program button to choose A, then press channel one button up until the pulse is felt. If she wasn't told which program to use try each one on a low setting. HTH
  • Black VelvetBlack Velvet Posts: 702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There was a booklet and she read and read it over and over but still struggled to understand it. She found the pads big and my daughter said she would try and get smaller ones if that is possible?
    She has an appointment in nine weeks time and they said that if she likes the tens machine she would pay for it if not it gets sent back to the manufacturer.
    She phoned up her doctors to ask if a practice nurse could come out and show her how to use it but she said she or any of the other nurses were not trained in how to use it. My daughter phoned the district nurse who had came out to see my mother a few times in the past and she told her the same as the nurses at my mus practice that she was not trained in how to use a tens machine. I am taking it that it is something to do with health and safety?
    Anyway she phoned the hospital as the nurse that she had seen told her to phone if she had any problems. She got a nurse that said they were too busy to give out any intstructions and that the other nurse should not have told her she could phone. But then she said for my mother to phone back dead on 8.30am Tuesday morning.
    It was a pain clinic my mother attended and she thought they would show her how to use it.
    When she got her assessment the tens machine they thought she should try and if that didn't work then accupuncture would be next on the list.
  • horwichallstarshorwichallstars Posts: 16,514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I used one when I was in labour... it was ok, I was never sure if it relieved the pain or distracted me ! I didn't use any other pain relief so maybe it did work.

The one I used, you put the pads on you back, then the handset let you choose 1-9 (1 for the lowest stregth and 9 for the highest). I didn't find any kids of sensation until I went to about a 3. You could then decide how often you wanted it to pulse though, and that's about it.

I got the dial to a 9 when I was in labour
  • MartinPickeringMartinPickering Posts: 3,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Instructions: http://kinetikmedical.com/uploads/pdf/instructions/Kinetik_Tens_UK_IB(7355)V4.pdf

Care Guide: http://www.drugs.com/cg/how-to-use-a-tens-unit.html

Your mother must have a helper to fit the electrodes and set it up. When I had one, my wife had to help. There's no way I could stick the electrodes on correctly by myself.
  • sadmuppetsadmuppet Posts: 8,222
    Forum Member
    I used one in labour, but having not been in labour before (or after!), I don't know whether it was of any benefit!!!

I do know that it bloody hurt when my helpful OH turned it up to maximum rather than turning it off when it was all over!!!! :eek:
  • Pandora 9Pandora 9 Posts: 2,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used a tens machine during my sons birth and find it very effective. I didn't want any drugs because I am allergic to pethidine and I like to be in control of my senses. It worked very well for me and I had a straight forward birth. The midwife said I needed a couple of small stitches and then decided that because I had a high pain threshold she wouldn't numb the area ... I nearly hit the roof and found that more painful than giving birth.:mad:
  • Lou KellyLou Kelly Posts: 2,778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to use one when I had arthritis. It helped a bit on top of other pain relief.

I've no need for it now.
  • Mumof3Mumof3 Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used one in labour, and then subsequently for a few months when spinal disc problems caused excrutiating back spasms. If she can get someone to demonstrate the various settings (intensity and frequency) then it could be an invaluable piece of kit for her: immediate effect, flexibility of settings, complete autonomy and zero medication. It's really worth persisting to see that the kit can be demonstrated to her.
  • cahcah Posts: 24,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've used one for a back condition mainly my shoulder blades,and while they help by blocking pain signals to the brain ,they don't improve your condition ,as soon as you switch it off the pain is still there .It just helps that little bit when your Meds are not being very effective ,or have worn off way before it's time for your next dose

Depending where the pain is ,your Mum may need help in applying the patches if the area she needs them is in a hard to reach place and to make sure they're stuck on properly

I'm very surprised she wasn't given a booklet explaining how to use it as you have to be careful you don't put the Pads directly onto the spine itself

If your Mum finds it works then i advise you research prices as it was far cheaper for me to purchase one from LLoyds the Chemist than from the hospital clinic itself
  • Vast_GirthVast_Girth Posts: 9,793
    Forum Member
    I've had a bad back on and off for years. I bought a tens machine and the first time i used it was amazing. I had been in pain for weeks and felt better within 30 mins of putting it on. Within a couple of days the pain had completely gone.

However subsequent uses have not been as successful. It's still helped, but not nearly as much as the first time.