Monty Python Live : One Down, Five To Go on Gold

Comments

• LittleGirlOf7LittleGirlOf7 Posts: 9,344
    Forum Member
    Could you, and anyone else who watched this at the cinema, tell my if the show was censored in anyway. Also, was it 12A or 15 rated? as there seems to be some confusion about this.

It was 15 and uncensored.
  • banbury_oddballbanbury_oddball Posts: 1,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The reason the cinemas had it un-censored is that they took a live feed from either 0.8w, 5w and 24.5w on satellite. This method is used for other live screenings (I.e. Music concerts etc) for cinemas etc and as someone earlier mentioned, due to bad weather there could be drop outs.

The feeds carried by satellite did not have any censorship and the delayed screening on Gold ensured they had plenty of time to bleep them,and I understand they missed a couple out.

So in theory, the broadcast on Gold tomorrow should be bleep free as they would have got the feed from other satellites last night. Oh, and those feeds were in HD. I'd presume from this, if they wanted UKtv could show on Dave in the near future...
  • Misty08Misty08 Posts: 1,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep , most definitely uncensored. Don't know what certificate, but there were some very young looking kids there. Also some quite elderly people. Not the traditional audience for songs about genitalia! :)
  • Shady_Pines1Shady_Pines1 Posts: 1,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just watched it on TiVo. Eric Idle was just magnificent, the others not so much. Cleese and Jones looked lost/bored some of the time, even Palin looked out of his depth and Gilliam was like a Mad Uncle at a Wedding. I enjoyed the musical numbers but thought the sketches were really laboured. It must have been a terrific experience to see it live though, regardless, as they're the comedy equivalent of Pink Floyd to me.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I gave up halfway through; I loved the old sketches though. I'll have it another bash tomorrow without all the punch lines bleeped out.
  • allafixallafix Posts: 20,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Misty08 wrote: »
    Yep , most definitely uncensored. Don't know what certificate, but there were some very young looking kids there. Also some quite elderly people. Not the traditional audience for songs about genitalia! :)

Strangely enough old people and young children have genitalia too. I know this might seem odd to some. Old people would (mostly) remember what they used to do with their genitalia and children find theirs and the various "rude" names for them highly amusing. Sounds like an ideal audience for the song. ;-):D

I don't know if Gold broadcast the two new verses but they weren't in the least offensive IMO. Unless referring to female genitalia is deemed offensive of course.

This kind of "just in case" censorship (just i case we get complaints) is like going back to the days before the 1960s when the BBC had long lists of words which could not be broadcast. Post 1960s this seemed laughable (and was laughed at frequently). Now we've gone back to a time where the most sensitive person in the audience is catered for.
  • Misty08Misty08 Posts: 1,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    allafix wrote: »
    Strangely enough old people and young children have genitalia too. I know this might seem odd to some. Old people would (mostly) remember what they used to do with their genitalia and children find theirs and the various "rude" names for them highly amusing. Sounds like an ideal audience for the song. ;-):D

I don't know if Gold broadcast the two new verses but they weren't in the least offensive IMO. Unless referring to female genitalia is deemed offensive of course.

This kind of "just in case" censorship (just i case we get complaints) is like going back to the days before the 1960s when the BBC had long lists of words which could not be broadcast. Post 1960s this seemed laughable (and was laughed at frequently). Now we've gone back to a time where the most sensitive person in the audience is catered for.
    Yeah, thanks for being patronising. I'm well aware of that - and that the Pythons are getting on a bit themselves. I said traditional audience. This forum is full of people moaning that their little darlings are being exposed to bad language- and I have read elsewhere that some older people in a cinema audience were looking a bit uncomfortable during The Penis Song. It was not a traditional family show, let me put it that way.
    Forum Member
    Were Monty Python ever for a traditional audience?

What is a traditional audience?

What is the right kind of humour?

Why was that penguin on the television set?
  • eugenespeedeugenespeed Posts: 66,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Why was that penguin on the television set?

It came from next door, tut! :D
  • eugenespeedeugenespeed Posts: 66,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Could you, and anyone else who watched this at the cinema, tell my if the show was censored in anyway. Also, was it 12A or 15 rated? as there seems to be some confusion about this.
    It was 15 and uncensored.

Not that I am disagreeing with LittleGirl, but I'm sure the Gateshead cinema said 12a, however, it didn't appear censored at all.

Isn't it awfully nice to have a bottom.
  • amelia99amelia99 Posts: 5,626
    Forum Member
    Satnavvy wrote: »
    I was actually in the audience last night, not far back from the stage, and I do share some of your misgivings. The filmed excerpts were hilarious, especially Marx warming up as a substitute in the football match:D Cleese lacks power in his voice now and I thought they wasted the Pope and Michelangelo sketch which in it's original form (Amnesty's first ever comedy benefit) was done with Cleese and Jonathan Lynn - Cleese's outrage by the end of that sketch is legendary.

Terry Jones was clearly reading most of his lines, but is still loveable and Palin could have been sharper on his accent especially in the Spanish Inquisition sketch. Idle is a real trouper.

But I enjoyed it all, was so glad I was there and felt quite emotional when they said their farewells at the end.

Python was always special to me and always will be, so perhaps not the most unbiased review!

I love Monty Python too Satnavvy. I remember first watching it with my Dad and not understanding why he was laughing so much. Then when I was a bit older and it was repeated I just got it and have loved the humour ever since. I guess seeing those sketches I remember so well being performed by those guys in their prime being repeated now with the them in their 70s just didn't seem quite the same. And yes I was a wee bit teary at the end. Brought back so many memories. And yes the biggest laugh out loud I had in the whole show was watching Karl Marx warming up on the touchline.
    Forum Member

That's merely where from...not why for.
    Not that I am disagreeing with LittleGirl, but I'm sure the Gateshead cinema said 12a, however, it didn't appear censored at all.

Isn't it awfully nice to have a bottom.

Just checked my ticket. Screen 15...seat 15. In tiny letters at the top...12A.

You can see what I did there.

Ooh...

*explodes*
  • squacksquack Posts: 839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Penguins don't live next door, they live in Antarctica. ;-)
  • Steve9214Steve9214 Posts: 8,404
    Forum Member
    Hawking's Galaxy song for Christmas Number 1.

Internet campaign against X-factor again !!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Steve9214 wrote: »
    Hawking's Galaxy song for Christmas Number 1.

Internet campaign against X-factor again !!!

Got to admit that was the best part for me, I can't stand Brian Cox so to see him get run over I found hilarious.
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    Meant to say that the Stephen Hawking knocking Brian Cox for six sketch, was my favourite bit. Brilliant!
  • Hyram FyramHyram Fyram Posts: 3,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They spoilt it by cutting to a close-up too early.
  • JurassicMarkJurassicMark Posts: 12,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    that was put up well over a month or two ago,it was only rated on the 15th of this month,and it says As Live as the type of media,if its a DVD release it says Video,same with the tickets they put on them usually 12A or 12A As Live as they have to have something to put on them when they first start selling them(which is also the reason why that at Cineworld's the screening wasn't Allocated Seating as it started selling before the rule change came in)

as you can see here Odeon had the correct rating on their screenings

It seems from the replies so far that it was rated 12A for cinema showing. Not sure why your Odeon link is a 15 rating. The only possible explanation I can think of is that the BBFC gave cinema chains some discretion with the rating as it was a live show.
    The reason the cinemas had it un-censored is that they took a live feed from either 0.8w, 5w and 24.5w on satellite. This method is used for other live screenings (I.e. Music concerts etc) for cinemas etc and as someone earlier mentioned, due to bad weather there could be drop outs.

The feeds carried by satellite did not have any censorship and the delayed screening on Gold ensured they had plenty of time to bleep them,and I understand they missed a couple out.

So in theory, the broadcast on Gold tomorrow should be bleep free as they would have got the feed from other satellites last night. Oh, and those feeds were in HD. I'd presume from this, if they wanted UKtv could show on Dave in the near future...

Wasn't really expecting it to be censored at the cinema (patrons would have demanded refunds if it was), just wanted this confirmed by those who attended.

As it seems to be a 12A at the cinema, children under the age of 12 are allowed in with an adult. If parents make the choice to take their young children to watch this then surely they can also do this in the home. This would have probably got an 18 rating when I was young, so the BBFC have moved with the times in some ways. The TV watershed has been around for ages and seems to have changed very little, despite all the possibilities facilitated by advances in technology. It would be easy to get TV's to pin protect adult content broadcast at any time, so parents can protect their children's delicate ears from the very language they hear every time they go out into the real world.

Sorry for the rant, but I had to turn it off as the constant bleeping made it unwatchable, and so cannot offer my opinion of their performance. I will watch the uncensored version on Tuesday, but it's not going to be the same as watching it live.
  • LYNN(E)LYNN(E) Posts: 1,586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I liked the reference to Graham Chapman in the Dead Parrot sketch when they said it had gone to meet Dr Chapman - nice touch :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This thread is fast-becoming some kind of parody of aimless pedantry. Well done!
  • Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,493
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The repeat tomorrow is timed 900pm to 1145pm.

Should that be everything including what got cut off at the end for PVR users?
  • GARETH197901GARETH197901 Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It seems from the replies so far that it was rated 12A for cinema showing. Not sure why your Odeon link is a 15 rating. The only possible explanation I can think of is that the BBFC gave cinema chains some discretion with the rating as it was a live show.

Wasn't really expecting it to be censored at the cinema (patrons would have demanded refunds if it was), just wanted this confirmed by those who attended.

As it seems to be a 12A at the cinema, children under the age of 12 are allowed in with an adult. If parents make the choice to take their young children to watch this then surely they can also do this in the home. This would have probably got an 18 rating when I was young, so the BBFC have moved with the times in some ways. The TV watershed has been around for ages and seems to have changed very little, despite all the possibilities facilitated by advances in technology. It would be easy to get TV's to pin protect adult content broadcast at any time, so parents can protect their children's delicate ears from the very language they hear every time they go out into the real world.

Sorry for the rant, but I had to turn it off as the constant bleeping made it unwatchable, and so cannot offer my opinion of their performance. I will watch the uncensored version on Tuesday, but it's not going to be the same as watching it live.

just spoke to the manager of Cineworld Bolton and it seems we are both right,the screening last night was rated as a 12A but any future screenings/encore screenings will be rated 15 due to the content,it was down to the early bookings before rating and apparently its happened before in the case of the NT Live screening of "Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time"

thats the reason why the ODEON website has a 15 as they are encore screenings
  • Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LYNN(E) wrote: »
    I liked the reference to Graham Chapman in the Dead Parrot sketch when they said it had gone to meet Dr Chapman - nice touch :)

that was just an adlib
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'Just'??
  • StaffsyeomanStaffsyeoman Posts: 613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Saw it at the Empire in Hemel Hempstead. Yes, there were sound drop outs there too, but seemingly at different times (none during the Paul Dacre rant). Glad to see it on the whole, even my other half - who professes not to like Python, and was only with us as a friend of hers had got us all tickets - chuckled in places. If you stayed to the end, Tim Brooke-Taylor was thanked in the credits for The Four Yorkshiremen.

But some jokes were ruined; probably because Terry Jones had trouble holding a line even if it had been in a carrier bag. e.g. "Bloody Catholics! Every time they 'ave sex they 'ave to 'ave baby" "But we've had sex twice dear.." Compared with "But we've got two children dear" in the original. Yes, I know many had to be adapted to allow scene/costume change, but "Spanish Inquisition" got mangled, and conflating "Dead Parrot" and "Cheese Shop" just left me confused. I also thought there was too much later stuff - "Contractual Obligation Album" and "Meaning of Life" and Idle's songs. The sub-Spamalot dance routines jarred as well.

Strangely, perhaps the biggest laugh of the night in our cinema was for Gilliam's "Dancing Teeth" animation.