Took single antibiotic dose 30 hours ago - ok to drink alchohol now?

Jamandell (d69)Jamandell (d69) Posts: 3,041
Forum Member
✭✭✭
The questions in the title really! It's my last night at Uni before easter tonight so was wondering if it's now ok to drink a bit. Thanks!

Comments

• ForestChavForestChav Posts: 35,127
    Forum Member
    The answer's on the piece of paper which came with the antibiotics.
  • RevengaRevenga Posts: 11,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would do it anyway, but that's not necessarily the advice you should be taking. Read the leaflet or google the name of the antibiotic. :)

(and have a good night if you go out!)
    Forum Member
    Revenga wrote: »
    I would do it anyway, but that's not necessarily the advice you should be taking. Read the leaflet or google the name of the antibiotic. :)

(and have a good night if you go out!)

I choose painkillers based on whether or not I can drink after/whilst taking them!

If the leaflet doesn't say no alcohol chances are you should be fine if you don't drink too much - it was 30 hours ago.

You could make yourself pretty ill if you did actually drink on certain things, though.
  • Deb ArkleDeb Arkle Posts: 12,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you're on Metronidazole (also called Flagyl) it will make you violently sick. Other antibiotics' effectiveness can be affected by alcohol, but not as drastically as that one.
  • DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    im sure you will be ok if you have finished the full course of anitbiotics.
  • Jamandell (d69)Jamandell (d69) Posts: 3,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ForestChav wrote: »
    The answer's on the piece of paper which came with the antibiotics.

It said do not take alcohol while on course, but didn't say how long after dosage you could drink.
    Forum Member
    OK, what antibiotic is it, what's the dosage and what are the instructions from your pharmacist/GP?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,478
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Which antibiotic is it? The only one I wouldn't drink with is the metronidazole. I tried that and was so sick.
  • ErrodielErrodiel Posts: 4,479
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ring NHS Direct - one of the meds advisers can check for you. Generally there's no problem with alcohol and antibiotics (other than metronidazole, as above) but it's worth checking properly. 0845 46 47 ;)
  • susie-4964susie-4964 Posts: 23,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you took ONE dose only, 30 hours ago, I'd be gobsmacked if there was a significant amount of the antibiotic left in your system - most of them half a half-life of around 8-12 hours. However, just to be absolutely safe, I'll give you the same advice as I used to give breastfeeding mothers - leave it for 48 hours, then carry on as usual. This advice is given on the basis that you're a healthy individual with no liver or kidney problems. I would say consult a doctor, but they generally ask me!
  • ErrodielErrodiel Posts: 4,479
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    susie-4964 wrote: »
    If you took ONE dose only, 30 hours ago, I'd be gobsmacked if there was a significant amount of the antibiotic left in your system - most of them half a half-life of around 8-12 hours. However, just to be absolutely safe, I'll give you the same advice as I used to give breastfeeding mothers - leave it for 48 hours, then carry on as usual. This advice is given on the basis that you're a healthy individual with no liver or kidney problems. I would say consult a doctor, but they generally ask me!

We're told to say "5 half lives" - on the basis that that means total elimination. But we have to play super-duper safe! :D
  • Charcole911Charcole911 Posts: 6,353
    Forum Member
    For some reason I read the thread title as taken antibiotic overdose 30 hours ago lol
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,803
    Forum Member
    May as well, probably going to make yourself sick anyway from the excess alcohol. :D