"Pleb" gate Andrew Mitchell

CherryRoseCherryRose Posts: 13,196
Forum Member
✭✭
If he did call them a "pleb" should we actually care?

What happened to the two female police officers was an absolute tragedy, I am finding it hard to understand how and why the media is using the pleb gate to talk about the two.

These two were ladies were not killed because of lack of respect to the police they were killed in an attack of a total lack of respect/thought for human life.

You watch police shows on TV where officers call "alleged" criminals worse than plebs.

Where yes we should repsect the police but respect is something that is earned and is a two way thing.

The police dont speak in terms Mrs/Sir/Madam/Mr usually it "oi"

All the media attention over the word pleb is ridiculous.

If our taxes pay for an investigation I am going to scream!

Comments

• phylo_roadkingphylo_roadking Posts: 21,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If someone opens another redundant thread on this I'LL scream!
  • benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it not enough there were 4 threads in politics and 2 in GD on this subject.?
  • spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    well ...... i tend to believe the cops. ok sometimes they put the wrong peple behind bars, but they do tend to listen to what people say and write it down in those books for official purposes .......
  • Jason100Jason100 Posts: 17,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pleb.
  • phylo_roadkingphylo_roadking Posts: 21,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    well ...... i tend to believe the cops.

And NOW it appears there was a group of visitors just outside the gate who heard the exchange...and were shocked by Mitchell's behaviour...
  • Serenity79Serenity79 Posts: 1,981
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'Gategate' would have been SUCH a funnier name :(
  • confuddledconfuddled Posts: 3,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So he lost his rag and used a few choice words, it's a bit of a non- story, a bit like Kate being caught with her baps out!
    It seems being offended has turned into a national sport!
  • Early BirdEarly Bird Posts: 2,147
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    while this silly story is on the front page -- other more important stories are not!!!!

one of them being the cover-up of the Hillsborough tragedy.....

Who on here hasn't said something to a person in 'authority' when they've been a 'jobs-worth' - and I bet most of you have used profanity too!!!
    This is definitely a non-story and someone in 'authority' is keeping it in the press while they are not!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be fair, I'd think nothing of it if he'd simply sworn at the police officer and had a bit of a rant.

However, the fact that he used the word 'pleb' makes me wonder if that's just what they think of all ordinary working class people. It simply showed me that, in his head, he is superior and I think that's the shocking part.
  • bookaddictbookaddict Posts: 2,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be fair, I'd think nothing of it if he'd simply sworn at the police officer and had a bit of a rant.

However, the fact that he used the word 'pleb' makes me wonder if that's just what they think of all ordinary working class people. It simply showed me that, in his head, he is superior and I think that's the shocking part.

It's not a one off either - he is known for such behaviour, and that pathetic excuse for an apology did him no favours.

There are far more important stories which should make the headlines which this matter is making, but I don't think it's excusable for a man in Mitchell's position to behave that way.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bookaddict wrote: »
    It's not a one off either - he is known for such behaviour, and that pathetic excuse for an apology did him no favours.

There are far more important stories which should make the headlines which this matter is making, but I don't think it's excusable for a man in Mitchell's position to behave that way.

Agree

also people saying criminals call the police much worse, so what?

This guy is in a professional position of authority, he helps make decisions on what the rest of us can and can not do (and i assume gets his salary from us).... hardly comparable to your general Jezz Kyle Guest. Personally I expect better from him and I would have thought the Conservative party expected better.

If I had behaved like this whilst on professional business and brought such negative headlines to my company I would have been long gone.

He thinks he is untouchable and obviously by the way his party have dealt with it, they really are untouchable.

You have a complaint about an officer, make a formal one.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 104
    Forum Member
    I think the main issue now is that he will not admit he called the officer a pleb. He denies he said anything like that and in doing so is basically calling the officer a liar.
    Yes, the actual incident is trivial but if he had just admitted he lost his temper and called them a pleb, it would be over now.
    But he has shown what a lying weasel he really is by denying it.