Options

Viewing photos on Humax HDR - it skips some

2Bdecided2Bdecided Posts: 4,416
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I've copied some photos over onto the HDR.

It won't show some of them. It just skips through the filenames without changing the photo on screen until it gets to one it likes.

The bizarre thing is I can't figure out why it likes some but not others. It's not down to the camera they came from, or the orientation (landscape/portrait), or whether they were edited, or the filesize, or the number of pixels - because at least some photos from each possible combination of those work, while others from those same combinations don't.

It's something else that means it will never display some photos, but always happily display others.

Anyone got any ideas what else it could be?

Anyone had this problem?

Cheers,
David.

Comments

• Options
    REPASSACREPASSAC Posts: 2,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seen the same - what worked for me is running them via an editor (don't remember which, one of the basic Microsoft ones I guess) Just open it and then save it.
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,520
    Forum Member
    TV's and PVR's aren't computers, they usually have severe restrictions about what will and won't play.

Sometimes it's picture size, sometimes it's file size, sometimes it's just an incompatible JPEG format (all JPEG's aren't the same).

I went through a flash drive a few years ago for a customer, as he complained some pictures wouldn't play on his TV - the offending ones were all from a specific camera (Nikon I think?), and were absolutely HUGE.

Easiest thing to try is converting all of them to a 'sensible' size, no point in anything larger than 1920x1080 for displaying on a TV.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 158
    Forum Member
    2Bdecided wrote: »
    I've copied some photos over onto the HDR.
    It won't show some of them. It just skips through the filenames without changing the photo on screen until it gets to one it likes.
    The bizarre thing is I can't figure out why it likes some but not others. It's not down to the camera they came from, or the orientation (landscape/portrait), or whether they were edited, or the filesize, or the number of pixels - because at least some photos from each possible combination of those work, while others from those same combinations don't.
    It's something else that means it will never display some photos, but always happily display others.
    Anyone got any ideas what else it could be?
    Anyone had this problem?
    Cheers,
    David.
    Same on the 1000S. This is an example of trying to do everything not very well syndrome that seems to infect Humax PVRs.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can try 1920x1080 but it's a pain having to convert them all. I quite liked having the full size ones on the HDR as an extra backup.

Many of the "huge" (12Mpixel= 4272x2848) ones display just fine.

I'll try loading+saving, though some of the ones I've re-saved don't display (but some do!).

Cheers,
    David.
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,520
    Forum Member
    2Bdecided wrote: »
    I can try 1920x1080 but it's a pain having to convert them all. I quite liked having the full size ones on the HDR as an extra backup.

Many of the "huge" (12Mpixel= 4272x2848) ones display just fine.

I'll try loading+saving, though some of the ones I've re-saved don't display (but some do!).

Cheers,
    David.

Some photo packages allow you to do bulk conversions, which would make it easy.
  • Options
    grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some photo packages allow you to do bulk conversions, which would make it easy.

If only it was that simple. 1920 x 1080 is 16:9, photographs aren't usually 16:9. To do it properly you have to crop the part of the picture you want manually (unless the bits you want to see are always in the same location) to a 16:9 aspect ratio. Having done this you can run a macro to resize. This will give you no black borders on the screen. If you attempt to resize photographs to 1920 x 1080 you will distort the image or will have to choose a size to resample to which leaves black borders on the screen

This of course ignores the problem of portrait format.

Example my Panasonic TZ40 takes images of 4986 x 3672 pixels.

Using Photoshop and a 16:9 constrained crop gives an image of 4896 x 2754. It's hard to pick up the whole horizontal image with the crop tool hence the loss of a few edge pixels.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't have the patience to manually crop them - in many cases I wouldn't want to (though often cropping 3x2 to 16x9 doesn't look so bad). Easiest would be 1080 high by whatever wide to maintain the correct aspect ratio.

Now I've thought to check, cPicture does it. I already have that (which is a good job, because I can't find an XP compatible download on their website any more). The batch resize with maximum dimensions and file size should be perfect.

Cheers,
    David.
  • Options
    mwardymwardy Posts: 1,925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For info, the freeware, XP compatible version of cPicture (which I'd never heard of but looks interesting) is available at Major Geeks:

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/cpicture_le.html
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks. I think that's the version I'm using. When first installed it's full featured, but you had to pay to retain some of those features (not ones I used) after 30 days.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just to report back: using cPicture LE to resize everything to dimensions that fit within 1920x1080 has solved the problem, and made the HDR less sluggish when browsing through photos.

This even helped with photos that were already smaller than that, so I think the suggestion to just open and re-save them may have been equally valid.

It's a shame this is needed, and it makes a mockery of the idea of having the photos on the Humax as a backup, but hey ho.

Found another gotcha last night: The mp3 playback isn't gapless (which I knew - but it's a real pain when listening to a dance mix album!), and it doesn't like mp3s with ID3v2 tags in them - if an ID3v2.3 tag is present, it makes the Humax skip the very start of the track, cutting off the opening note or chord or whatever. Removing the tags solves this problem.

Bang goes the idea of using the same mp3s in the Humax as in my mp3 player. I'll need a separate set, or an easy way of stripping the tags while transferring them.

Cheers,
    David.