On now folks
  • alcockellalcockell Posts: 25,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone?
  • CentaurionCentaurion Posts: 2,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sound of a bandwagon being jumped on methinks.
    BBC4 knows the over 50s pop loving demographic is easily pleased.
  • cantoscantos Posts: 7,368
    Forum Member
    Watching it now.

I was lucky enough to see her in concert in 1979
  • Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,493
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This was the perfect opportunity to dig out 'Wuthering Heights' from the Yew Treed DLT TOTP, but no we get the 'debut performance' yet again!
  • SupratadSupratad Posts: 10,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She's sooooo lovely.
    I can't wait till September.

I've just finished a very good biog on her, so none of the talking heads stuff was new but it was just nice to see so much footage of her again.
  • alcockellalcockell Posts: 25,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *reaches for air fretless bass*
  • Torch81Torch81 Posts: 15,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This 'at the BBC' thing is so far full of utterly compelling and brilliant performances, very little of any which I've any recollection of having seen before.

I never really 'got' Kate Bush at the time, she just seemed odd and weird and I think it just all went over my head. Nowadays though and watching this I see a totally extraordinary and unique talent. She's blooming amazing.
  • Torch81Torch81 Posts: 15,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Supratad wrote: »
    She's sooooo lovely.
    I can't wait till September.

I've just finished a very good biog on her
    , so none of the talking heads stuff was new but it was just nice to see so much footage of her again.

What was that if you don't mind me asking? I read a lot of music biography's and think reading one on her might be interesting.
  • 0...00...0 Posts: 21,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That was utterly brilliant! Thank you BBC!
  • widgerwidger Posts: 722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Loved the Kate Bush documentary and some of the performances were wonderful especially Man with the Child in his Eyes and Babooshka.
    She reminds me of David Bowie, very theatrical performances and a very, very talented songwriter.
  • China GirlChina Girl Posts: 2,755
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The most amazing female performer there has ever been.
  • maycontainnutsmaycontainnuts Posts: 1,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    love BBC4
  • Jon RossJon Ross Posts: 3,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    widger wrote: »
    She reminds me of David Bowie, very theatrical performances and a very, very talented songwriter.

Nowhere near Bowie in terms of worldwide sales though. I'd say Peter Gabriel is a better comparison if you'd be comparing her to a male artist, but the whole point about Kate Bush is that she did what she did as a woman and that was the most innovative thing at the time.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Centaurion wrote: »

Perhaps bandwagoneering regarding the current Bushmania, but the BBC has said they are going to be doing a lot more music documentaries. One is coming up about Genesis on BBC2 and that could hardly be called a bandwagon.
  • MaccaMacca Posts: 18,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just watching Kate at the BBC, utterly brilliant. The man with the child in his eyes is a mesmerising song
  • JamieHTJamieHT Posts: 12,205
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love her music but I was watching with someone who doesn't. They readily admit how unique she is though.
  • JT2060JT2060 Posts: 5,370
    Forum Member
    widger wrote: »

Bowie was taught by and toured with the mime artist Lindsey Kemp. He taught Bush too.
  • Misty08Misty08 Posts: 1,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Which bandwagon? Clearly it was to tie in with her live shows, if you can call that a bandwagon. Well, I loved it.. Do you say "methinks" in real life?
  • shandersshanders Posts: 5,907
    Forum Member
    I could've done without Steve Coogan and the section on bad impressions/Comic Relief malarkey and Tricky as a talking head but otherwise a pretty decent documentary.
  • Jenny_SawyerJenny_Sawyer Posts: 12,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I absolutely love Wuthering Heights.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Misty08 wrote: »
    Which bandwagon? Clearly it was to tie in with her live shows, if you can call that a bandwagon. Well, I loved it.. Do you say "methinks" in real life?

I think he was just being smart. People like the old music because it tends to be a lot better - and he's wrong to suggest you have to be over 50 to think that. I'm nowhere near 50 and I think the music of the past was a lot better.

I wouldn't call myself a Kate Bush fan because there's too much of her stuff I don't like - but when she was good she was VERY good.
  • fizzycatfizzycat Posts: 6,120
    Forum Member

If we were easily pleased, we'd be happy to listen to the garbage churned out today and there'd be no need for retrospective pop programmes :p
  • KennyTKennyT Posts: 20,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I absolutely love Wuthering Heights.
    When I heard The Man with the Child in his Eyes, I went out and spent my hard earned money on The Kick Inside and thought it was rubbish, with WH and TMWTCIHE the only listenable tracks. But having spent the money, I persevered, with the aforementioned tracks as the "rocks" that I clung to in what I still thought was a stormy sea of unlistenable wailing. Slowly, though, after about the 10th listen, I came to appreciate all of it and it became one of my favourite albums.

I thoroughly enjoyed this doc, and the Kate@BBC that followed it.

K
  • TellystarTellystar Posts: 12,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Will this be repeated