Samsung 40 inch v Sony 40 inch

Comments

• Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,465
    Forum Member
    smallclone wrote: »
    cheers. any reason? Reliability?

Quite the opposite, Sony (and Panasonic) have a reputation for high reliability, and Samsung have a reputation for fairly poor reliability. Samsung use cheaper parts, and lower quality construction (but sell their sets at a profit!).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've always thought that Sony's picture quality looks too artificial when compared to a Samsung.
    Forum Member
    I've always thought that Sony's picture quality looks too artificial when compared to a Samsung.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion :D
  • call100call100 Posts: 7,278
    Forum Member
    Quite the opposite, Sony (and Panasonic) have a reputation for high reliability, and Samsung have a reputation for fairly poor reliability. Samsung use cheaper parts, and lower quality construction (but sell their sets at a profit!).

In the past.......:rolleyes::p
  • BOOTHY2905BOOTHY2905 Posts: 1,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    call100 wrote: »

Afraid ill have to agree with Nigel,on this one. Had Samsung TVs for years because they were cheap as chips. Bought a Panasonic vt50b because I wanted a high end TV and because most mags voted it TV of the year. I see lots of houses and nearly everyone has a Samsung. Dead pixels and knackerd remote sensors are very very common place. I'll never buy a Samsung TV again as I've had my eyes opened by a quality manufacturer
    Forum Member
    BOOTHY2905 wrote: »
    Afraid ill have to agree with Nigel,on this one. Had Samsung TVs for years because they were cheap as chips. Bought a Panasonic vt50b because I wanted a high end TV and because most mags voted it TV of the year. I see lots of houses and nearly everyone has a Samsung. Dead pixels and knackerd remote sensors are very very common place. I'll never buy a Samsung TV again as I've had my eyes opened by a quality manufacturer

No dead pixels or knackered remote sensors or any other fault experienced here.....So I wouldn't say it was common place.
    Bothers me not what people choose to buy. I just don't think that the bad press is justified these days. :)
  • David WaineDavid Waine Posts: 3,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The two sets that the original poster mentioned are both towards the entry level of their respective ranges. Therefore they will not contain the more expensive, higher grade components to be found further up the range. That does not necessarily mean, however, that they will perform badly or be unreliable - or that they will perform brilliantly either.

Obviously, the further up the range you go, the better the results are likely to be, but there comes a point where a very minor improvement in quality is accompanied by a major hike in price. That is called the Law of Diminishing Returns.

The problem with asking for advice on a forum such as this is that you are inviting people to give their opinions. An opinion, by its very nature, is subjective. Whether it reflects the truth of the situation is often a matter of interpretation. Some people's opinions are out of date, some are biased, some are plain wrong - but you have little way of knowing which is which. That is why I recommend trying the sets out for yourself. Only you can decide which suits your taste the best.
    Forum Member

Not at all, still current as well - Panasonic and Sony are streets ahead of Samsung in quality of construction and service.
    Forum Member
    Not at all, still current as well - Panasonic and Sony are streets ahead of Samsung in quality of construction and service.

:D:D.....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No dead pixels or knackered remote sensors or any other fault experienced here.....So I wouldn't say it was common place.
    Bothers me not what people choose to buy. I just don't think that the bad press is justified these days. :)

I presume you only have a couple of TVs so on that basis you have just compared mine and Nigel's experience to a few sets. Just because your tv works doesn't mean the other millions been sold do.
    My last Samsung had no optical sound output and the source feather touch button didn't work. The one before had a line of dead pixels after 13 months and that's just myself. In work I've seen hundreds of different TV faults on mid make sets like samsungs. So on that basis ill go off my own experiences ok pal.
  • roddydogsroddydogs Posts: 10,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I always though of Sony as being a "Premium" buy, but about a year ago I needed a 40" for the second room, & purchased a Sony KDL-40CX52x, mainly because it had £100 off & 5 yr Gtee, & "you cant go wrong with a Sony" big mistake, PC is "Average", but other things are awful, Settings are a nightmare of Menus & Sub menus & why on earth do Sony think that if you press "Info" you want a big black blob at the TOP of the screen ?, why black?? the R/C is also poor, why cant they do what all the others do & put for example "Sttl" for subtitle instead of a symbol that is not immediately recognisable, & text why not just put "text" instead of trying to remember which symbol is correct. Yes I do know its Sonys budget line, but expected more.
    Forum Member
    I presume you only have a couple of TVs so on that basis you have just compared mine and Nigel's experience to a few sets. Just because your tv works doesn't mean the other millions been sold do.
    My last Samsung had no optical sound output and the source feather touch button didn't work. The one before had a line of dead pixels after 13 months and that's just myself. In work I've seen hundreds of different TV faults on mid make sets like samsungs. So on that basis ill go off my own experiences ok pal.
    Presume away...
    Firstly, I'm not your 'pal' and judging by your attitude you never would be!!
    Secondly of 14 Samsung sets in the Family and friend circle at last count and no problems with any of them.
    Excuse me if I don't believe you and Nigel account for all the millions of other sets working perfectly well in homes around the world.
    So, my opinion and experience is as valid as anyone else's. As would yours be, if your were a bit more polite....:rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    roddydogs wrote: »
    I always though of Sony as being a "Premium" buy, but about a year ago I needed a 40" for the second room, & purchased a Sony KDL-40CX52x, mainly because it had £100 off & 5 yr Gtee, & "you cant go wrong with a Sony" big mistake, PC is "Average", but other things are awful, Settings are a nightmare of Menus & Sub menus & why on earth do Sony think that if you press "Info" you want a big black blob at the TOP of the screen ?, why black?? the R/C is also poor, why cant they do what all the others do & put for example "Sttl" for subtitle instead of a symbol that is not immediately recognisable, & text why not just put "text" instead of trying to remember which symbol is correct. Yes I do know its Sonys budget line, but expected more.

You mean you're complaining about the use of internationally agreed symbols on the remotes?, as the vast majority of sets do, and have for many years.

Sony remotes are excellent, reliable, easy to use, and cheap to buy replacements when the dog chews it.
    Forum Member
    Secondly of 14 Samsung sets in the Family and friend circle at last count and no problems with any of them.

Only 14 sets is a tiny sample size, in the trade where sample sizes are vastly larger we see differently.

But I would say, no matter how small the sample size, if YOU'VE found them reliable, then I'm all for brand loyalty and sticking with a brand you're happy with.

Going back MANY years we had a customer with a Ferguson colour set (probably a 30o0 or something?), it went 'wrong' after 14 years, and was basically worn out (CRT low emission). So the customer came in to buy a new TV, and bought a Sony - because they are 'reliable' :eek: I thought that was a horrible example of a total lack of loyalty.
    Forum Member
    Only 14 sets is a tiny sample size, in the trade where sample sizes are vastly larger we see differently.

But I would say, no matter how small the sample size, if YOU'VE found them reliable, then I'm all for brand loyalty and sticking with a brand you're happy with.

Going back MANY years we had a customer with a Ferguson colour set (probably a 30o0 or something?), it went 'wrong' after 14 years, and was basically worn out (CRT low emission). So the customer came in to buy a new TV, and bought a Sony - because they are 'reliable' :eek: I thought that was a horrible example of a total lack of loyalty.

Exactly my point Nigel...........As you know...;):)

Only 14 years? That is a reliability issue right there...:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Presume away...
    Firstly, I'm not your 'pal' and judging by your attitude you never would be!!
    Excuse me if I don't believe you and Nigel account for all the millions of other sets working perfectly well in homes around the world.
    So, my opinion and experience is as valid as anyone else's. As would yours be, if your were a bit more polite....:rolleyes:

Put ya handbag down PAL!! :D

A whole 14 set's hey. wow!! Bet I've seen over 70 different TV's just this last couple of week's. never mind in the 10 year's I've been doing what I do. So again. I'll go off my own experiences thanks. Like yourself I was a Samsung fan and bought just that until I had a few bad experiences of my own, and saw the obvious reliability issues coming through while I was working. at the end of the day I can guarantee I have more experience and input from colleagues etc than you have regarding what hot and what's not.
    Forum Member
    Put ya handbag down PAL!! :D

A whole 14 set's hey. wow!! Bet I've seen over 70 different TV's just this last couple of week's. never mind in the 10 year's I've been doing what I do. So again. I'll go off my own experiences thanks. Like yourself I was a Samsung fan and bought just that until I had a few bad experiences of my own, and saw the obvious reliability issues coming through while I was working. at the end of the day I can guarantee I have more experience and input from colleagues etc than you have regarding what hot and what's not.

Not really interested in anything you have to say on the subject. Your manners leave a lot to be desired. You are only showing yourself up. Shame really, you may have had something useful to say. We'll probably never know now....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not really interested in anything you have to say on the subject. Your manners leave a lot to be desired. You are only showing yourself up. Shame really, you may have had something useful to say. We'll probably never know now....

Just because you don't agree with something doesn't mean it carries less weight than your own opinions.
    And my manners are fine luv.
    Forum Member
    Just because you don't agree with something doesn't mean it carries less weight than your own opinions.
    And my manners are fine luv.

Ah! thereby is the problem...You don't read the posts very well...
    Your manners are probably fine when confined to your own environment....
  • roddydogsroddydogs Posts: 10,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You mean you're complaining about the use of internationally agreed symbols on the remotes?, as the vast majority of sets do, and have for many years.

Sony remotes are excellent, reliable, easy to use, and cheap to buy replacements when the dog chews it.

Panny have both the symbol & the words, & its far easier to negotiate the menus, & their "Info" dosent appear at the top (& not in black, either)
    Forum Member
    roddydogs wrote: »
    Panny have both the symbol & the words, & its far easier to negotiate the menus, & their "Info" dosent appear at the top (& not in black, either)

Ease of menu negotiation is purely down to what you're used to, personally I find Panasonic menus (and remote controls) hard to use.

Incidentally I have had two Panasonics, a VCR (which has long since been scrapped) and a DVD/HDD recorder (which is no longer used and in the attic).

As far as Sony menus go, I can't say I'm impressed with the newer menus.
  • Pepperoni ManPepperoni Man Posts: 7,798
    Forum Member
    So on that basis ill go off my own experiences ok pal.

Lol - why do people have to get so aggressive over an opinion about who makes the best TV set ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lol - why do people have to get so aggressive over an opinion about who makes the best TV set ?

How is that aggressive?
    I plainly stated that his 14 TV set experience is far out weighed by my own. But because he has parted cash for a brand he will automatically defend that decision.
  • Pepperoni ManPepperoni Man Posts: 7,798
    Forum Member
    How is that aggressive?
    I plainly stated that his 14 TV set experience is far out weighed by my own. But because he has parted cash for a brand he will automatically defend that decision.

You seriously don't know?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whatever. I think maybe your taking the tone of my writing to new level's. Not aggressive at all mate.