Farscape from the beginning on Pick TV 21st April

13»

Comments

• enna_genna_g Posts: 2,035
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved Farscape and watched every episode first time round - it just got better and better. Just found out it is on Pick and picked up from series 2 and have put on series record. There are one or two duff episodes but all in all a brilliant series and all the characters are great. It is funny sad and completely mad in parts.
  • GibsonGirlGibsonGirl Posts: 1,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You must love Pilot, then:D

You're damned straight I do! :)

However, after listening to some of his voice demos, I am somewhat puzzled as to why they altered his voice for Pilot.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    swingaleg wrote: »
    I don't think Rygel had actually done anything......he'd got himself a weapon (the syringe, presumably with an anaesthetic) and was telling Chianna that because it's now come down to self preservation he's going to stab one of the Crichtons and chuck him in the bubble to save everyone else, mainly himself !

he was saying that he was going to do it, not that he had done it

My blu-rays arrived today and I had another look at that scene. While Rygel hadn't done anything, there was a quick cut to him in which he called Chiana a "bony-arsed little bitch". It was that which got cut. I just knew that something wasn't right with that scene.

Anyway, no more hacked to bits episodes for me. :D
  • swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    GibsonGirl wrote: »
    My blu-rays arrived today and I had another look at that scene. While Rygel hadn't done anything, there was a quick cut to him in which he called Chiana a "bony-arsed little bitch". It was that which got cut. I just knew that something wasn't right with that scene.

Anyway, no more hacked to bits episodes for me. :D

they really do cut out swear words........a lot tonight in the episode where Crichton thinks he's back on earth (again !)......I lip read one cut as 'pissed' in the US sense of 'angry'

:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    they really do cut out swear words........a lot tonight in the episode where Crichton thinks he's back on earth (again !)......I lip read one cut as 'pissed' in the US sense of 'angry'

:D

I watched Won't Get Fooled Again this morning and can only imagine that quite a few scenes were snipped, cut and censored.

I am pretty sure the scene in which John's friend was seen with slashed wrists (complete with blood squirting onto the camera) and the one that saw the Scarran meet his demise would have been cut too.

There were also several uses of 'bitch' and (like you said) 'pissed'.

I bet Pick had a field day with this one! :D

I am also wondering why Home on the Remains was rated 18. Yes it did have a couple of quite gory scenes, but it wasn't an all out gore fest. It didn't have any harsh language or full frontal nudity either. To me a 15 certificate would have sufficed.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    That was a bit strange in tonight's episode..........Stark just turns up on Moya and they treat him as though he's been there all the time..........
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That was a bit strange in tonight's episode..........Stark just turns up on Moya and they treat him as though he's been there all the time..........

When Zhaan first saw him she was pleasantly surprised to see him. He told her that he'd come aboard when she was meditating. He would also say later on that he boarded Moya to tell D'Argo that he knew where his son was.

Pick censored The Locket for language a couple of times, but that was about it.

I also hope the episode won (or at the very least got nominated) for a best make-up award. The aged make-up on Claudia Black was excellent and most convincing. Browder's make-up wasn't as good, but it should have won something for the transformation of Aeryn.

Back to Won't Get Fooled Again. The scenes that I thought would be cut were cut. When John dispatches the Scarran the headless corpse could be seen falling to the ground and that was missing in Pick's version. The wrist slash scene wasn't included either. Pick also omitted the one with Aeryn, Chiana, Zhaan and even Rygel teasing and coming onto Crichton. It was a shame as it was one of the funniest scenes in the episode. Especially having Rygel dressed in leather and whipping John for all the times he had called him Sparky, Fluffy and Buckwheat. :)

Here is the scene for those of you that haven't seen the episode uncut.

Enjoy! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for that I remember it now!

I am a bit puzzled as I recently watched Scratch and Sniff and I don't remember it at all. Did the BBC show it originally or perhaps I was away at the time. A strange sort of episode - possibly put there for a bit of light relief.
  • DeccomajorDeccomajor Posts: 462
    Forum Member
    enna_g wrote: »
    Thanks for that I remember it now!

I am a bit puzzled as I recently watched Scratch and Sniff and I don't remember it at all. Did the BBC show it originally or perhaps I was away at the time. A strange sort of episode - possibly put there for a bit of light relief.

Yes Scratch and Sniff was originally shown on the BBC, as you say a very strange episode but there had been a few so called light relief episodes in Farscape.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks I must have missed it first time round.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Series 3 finished yesterday on Pick.........on to series 4 tonight
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep, roll on season 4, 30 minutes and counting.

I love how pick rerun these awesome sci if series :)
  • simongvs70simongvs70 Posts: 2,192
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pick has only got about half way through Season 4 of Farscape, yet True Entertainment is screening The Peacekeeper Wars this evening from 5PM until 9.
    Given both how pick has censored the main series & the only genre show T/E has screened is Highway to Heaven, there is a good chance the mini-series will be also have been "edited". I realise the two channels have nothing to do with another, but my pedantry and the fact that True have got a reputation for showing worthy programmes compelled me to point it out.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I wonder if Pick will show Peacekeeper Wars when series 4 finishes ?

Or does the fact that it was on another channel tonight mean that Pick won't have the rights ?

TBH I'm getting a bit bored with it......though I'll watch it through to the end

It does appear to be fizzling out now..........perhaps the cancellation wasn't such a huge shock after all
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder if Pick will show Peacekeeper Wars when series 4 finishes ?

Or does the fact that it was on another channel tonight mean that Pick won't have the rights ?

TBH I'm getting a bit bored with it......though I'll watch it through to the end

It does appear to be fizzling out now..........perhaps the cancellation wasn't such a huge shock after all

Season four took a considerable down turn in quality in my opinion. They killed Crais at the end of the third season (very big mistake in my books as I am now a huge fan of the sublime Lani Tupu), got rid of Tammy Macintosh (who I think is a better actress than Raelee Hill) and I was never particularly keen on Noranti and I didn't really take to her second time round.

It's a shame as the show had been a sheer pleasure to watch and to be honest I have not completed season four on blu-ray. I might watch the rest of the season sometime, but it just isn't the same without Crais and all the other things that made it an amazing series.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    My main problem in season 4 is that they appear to have run out of plot and half the episodes are set in virtual worlds or dreamscapes.........seems to be a sure sign that they've run out of ideas to keep the plot going

Anyway.......only 2 more episodes to go and Peacekeeper Wars is on YouTube so I'll watch it through to the end
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I finished a complete run through of this last week.

Watched the series via Netflix, and got the Peacekeeper Wars DVD from Amazon.

I think I'd only ever seen season 1 before.

*Loved* it, but there seemed to be continuity issues here and there, where things seemed to have been forgotten about or things happened without explanation (like Stark appearing from nowhere, as mentioned above).

One thing that stuck out at me was regarding Grayza near the end of season 4... when the girls rescued her, it was later stated (or assumed) that she was a bioloid, yet this was completely forgotten about by the next episode.

Also, Grayza's peace summit with the Emperor came out of nowhere, as did John's knowledge of it.
  • Linda_DeanLinda_Dean Posts: 748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was great to see Farscape on TV again, it's my favourite TV show, and the show that opened my eyes to Sci-fi. But rewatching it again, I agree it seemed to fizzle out a little bit part way through season 4 (it was none the less for it, overall). I think the fizzle out had something to do with them learning of the cancellation as they were filming.

But watching that last episode it really struck me how much I am going to miss it! I really wish they would make another season of FS, or go head with the often talked about movie or webisodes. Pick don't even seem to be showing The PeaceKeeper Wars.

Ah, Farscape, you were one of a kind, please come back.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just loved watching it all over again and can't believe they are not finishing with the Peacekeeper Wars. Perhaps they will show it at a later date but there was no mention of it.
  • DeschanelDeschanel Posts: 8,740
    Forum Member
    GibsonGirl wrote: »
    Season four took a considerable down turn in quality in my opinion. They killed Crais at the end of the third season (very big mistake in my books as I am now a huge fan of the sublime Lani Tupu), got rid of Tammy Macintosh (who I think is a better actress than Raelee Hill) and I was never particularly keen on Noranti and I didn't really take to her second time round.
    They never got rid of Tammy Macintosh. She booked a recurring role on All Saints, so she had to leave. I always thought they should have put her on contract, that way she wouldn't have been free to audition for other projects. Jool left a bit of a hole in the cast when she left, and Sikozu wasn't the same. I liked Sikozu, but I would have preferred Jool to stay, as she was only just coming into her own - that, and they never did explain the ancestral link between her race and Humans.

I love(d) Farscape; I think it was one of the best sci-fi shows ever created.

But, season 4 was a drop in quality. They approached the first half of season 4 from completely the wrong direction, especially allowing Crichton Kicks to be the season première which, for new viewers would have been a confusing mess. They only introduced Sikozu to act as a guide for new viewers. I was also disappointed that they cut all of the Braca/Grayza/Scorpius scenes due to overrunning, as they were an important part of the story, and really they could have made room.

Probably the worst thing they did was assume that season 5 was a dead cert just b/c it was agreed upon in the contract; splitting the story arc over two seasons is the reason why a lot of things in season 4 was left hanging, as they were meant to be picked up again in season 5.

I never warmed to Noranti, either. She was supposed to be a Zhaan replacement, but didn't work, IMO. The only time I liked her was in the last 4 episodes of season 4. I feel Crais exited at the right time. Where could they have taken him after this? Talyn was becoming a liability, and was kinda dragging things down due to his repeated paranoid psycho behaviour.
    My main problem in season 4 is that they appear to have run out of plot and half the episodes are set in virtual worlds or dreamscapes.........seems to be a sure sign that they've run out of ideas to keep the plot going
    I liked the virtual reality/game episode that saw Zhaan return for a cameo appearance. That one was written by Ben Browder, and was very creative, IMO. My favourite episode is Terra Firma - and that's from season 4, so not all bad. I think they just wandered off the path a bit, trying to hook casual viewers by going back to an episodic structure, only to realize in the second half of season 4 that one of Farscape's strengths is the serialised storytelling.
    Matt D wrote: »
    *Loved* it, but there seemed to be continuity issues here and there, where things seemed to have been forgotten about or things happened without explanation (like Stark appearing from nowhere, as mentioned above).

One thing that stuck out at me was regarding Grayza near the end of season 4... when the girls rescued her, it was later stated (or assumed) that she was a bioloid, yet this was completely forgotten about by the next episode.

Also, Grayza's peace summit with the Emperor came out of nowhere, as did John's knowledge of it.
    A lot of the times the viewers were left to fill in the blanks - and some of them were quite large blanks, like Stark randomly reappearing on Moya, or the time when Crichton blew up the Command Carrier, and Moya had been released off screen without any on-screen explanation (the last time we saw Pilot, he was out of it, and Moya had a load of Peacekeepers on board).

I don't think Grayza was ever a bioloid. That scene's dialogue was confusing. I think Ahkna was going to replicate Grayza and plant a bioloid amongst the Peacekeepers, but when Grayza escaped, she never got the chance to do it. Instead, Aeryn was replicated into a bioloid when she was captured. What doesn't make sense is how Aeryn ended up in Jenek's custody on the way to Katratzi, when he wasn't with Ahkna on the planet?
  • Linda_DeanLinda_Dean Posts: 748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Deschanel wrote: »

I love(d) Farscape; I think it was one of the best sci-fi shows ever created.

Agreed, but I would add it was one of the best shows ever, regardless of genre.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Linda_Dean wrote: »
    Pick don't even seem to be showing The PeaceKeeper Wars.

I've just watched it today on Youtube in 2 x 90 minute episodes

Well........I've enjoyed the run of Farscape on Pick as I'd never watched it before......it was certainly a roller coaster ride........:D

I think I might have got a bit bored with it at points but I suspect that might just be related to watching an episode every evening, probably exaggerates any perceived faults

The way it worked out I watched every episode of B5 on Watch......then about 2 days after that finished Farscape started on Pick.........I think I need a break !.......:o
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A lot of the times the viewers were left to fill in the blanks - and some of them were quite large blanks, like Stark randomly reappearing on Moya, or the time when Crichton blew up the Command Carrier, and Moya had been released off screen without any on-screen explanation (the last time we saw Pilot, he was out of it, and Moya had a load of Peacekeepers on board).

I don't think Grayza was ever a bioloid. That scene's dialogue was confusing. I think Ahkna was going to replicate Grayza and plant a bioloid amongst the Peacekeepers, but when Grayza escaped, she never got the chance to do it. Instead, Aeryn was replicated into a bioloid when she was captured. What doesn't make sense is how Aeryn ended up in Jenek's custody on the way to Katratzi, when he wasn't with Ahkna on the planet?

The finale with the Emperor and the summit makes it clear that Grayza wasn't a bioloid, as the Emperor berates Ahkna for her foolish and failed plan to kidnap Grazya.

But the dialogue in the preceding episode really confuses things. At the very least, the characters clearly thought that Grayza had been duplicated. Plus Ahkna had custody of Grayza for longer than Aeryn before Aeryn was duplicated, so why one and not the other?

And the finale's summit with the Emperor comes from nowhere, as does John's knowledge of it.

It works, but it requires the viewer to make assumptions, as you mentioned for other things.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They never got rid of Tammy Macintosh. She booked a recurring role on All Saints, so she had to leave. I always thought they should have put her on contract, that way she wouldn't have been free to audition for other projects. Jool left a bit of a hole in the cast when she left, and Sikozu wasn't the same. I liked Sikozu, but I would have preferred Jool to stay, as she was only just coming into her own - that, and they never did explain the ancestral link between her race and Humans.

I feel Crais exited at the right time. Where could they have taken him after this? Talyn was becoming a liability, and was kinda dragging things down due to his repeated paranoid psycho behaviour.

You said you thought that Jool left just as she was coming into her own. I think the same could be said of Crais. He had just become more trustworthy and was establishing a life away from the Peacekeepers. There was also talk of performing a procedure on Talyn to make him 'safe'. To me there was plenty more that could have been done with the characters. Lani Tupu himself thought that Crais left too early and he would have liked to have stayed on. He has also expressed an interest in returning in a new Farscape project and would like to do more sci-fi. I do feel sorry for him as he clearly relished playing Crais.

It is also a shame that the wonderful Jonathan Hardy is no longer with us as he would most definitely have resurrected Rygel. He spoke with great passion for the show and his character. It was funny hearing an interview with him in which he said he would have given as good as he got (if he had been on set that is) when Ben Browder was ad-libbing insults to throw at Rygel. If there is to be a new Farscape then I hope they write Rygel out of it as no other actor could replace Hardy.
  • JCRJCR Posts: 24,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    donna255 wrote: »
    Yes Farscape was first shown at 6pm on BBC2. After that Syfi repeated years later around the same time and then 11 am on Sunday mornings.

If its classed as 18 then its always been show edited on UK TV.

Now Lexx was always shown late at night and was certified 18.

Farscape season 2 episode 7- Home on the Remains- has an 18 rating that was issued in 2001, but would still be it's rating today. Several other episodes are 15.

It isn't being shown uncut pre watershed.