Options

Famous actors who you've never seen in any film

Dr. LinusDr. Linus Posts: 6,445
Forum Member
Which famous actors/actresses have you never seen in any film and have somehow passed you by? The more famous the better!

My biggest one is probably Sean Penn, and until very recently, Daniel Day-Lewis. Purely because none of their films particularly appeal to me, although I guess I'd lie to see Milk and Lincoln.

Who are your biggest absentees?

Comments

• Options
    Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
    Forum Member
    I've never seen anything with Ryan Gosling in it (though he's apparently a decent
    actor).
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I don't recall seeing Katherine Hepburn or Clark Gable films.
  • Options
    dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    James Dean
  • Options
    Forum Member
    dearmrman wrote: »
    James Dean

To be fair, you have to actively seek him out really. Only two films which aren't often on telly.
  • Options
    DandemDandem Posts: 13,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Until recently, I hadn't seen anything with Phillip Seymour Hoffman in.

But since I watched The Hunger Games: Catching Fire a couple of months ago, I guess I'll go with the other Hoffman - Dustin.
  • Options
    necromancer20necromancer20 Posts: 2,548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most of the major Hollywood 'Golden Age' stars like Clark Gable, Marilyn Monroe, Frank Sinatra, Elizabeth Taylor, John Wayne, Spencer Tracey, Audrey Hepburn. Charlie Chaplin, Buster Keaton, Laurence Olivier, Steve McQueen are other big names too from that era.
    Also haven't seen the films of Charles Bronson,. Recently I've yet to catch up with Melissa McCarthy, Seth Rogen and Tyler Perry.

Yep just lost some credibility, I truly am a child of the 90s :)

EDIT: Just realised I have seen a Chuck Norris film, he was in The Expendables 2. Also realised I haven't seen any Bruce Lee movies.
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Greta Garbo.
    Charles Chaplin.
    Buster Keaton.
    W. C. Fields.
    Wallace Beery.
    Theda Bara.

I've seen bits of their films, but I don't think I've seen any in its entirety. Family said I've seen a few Garbo films as a kid, but I don't remember at all.
  • Options
    IJoinedInMayIJoinedInMay Posts: 26,323
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sharon Stone, although I'm not sure whether Basic Instinct is her only big film or not.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sharon Stone, although I'm not sure whether Basic Instinct is her only big film or not.

Total Recall
  • Options
    mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dr. Linus wrote: »
    To be fair, you have to actively seek him out really. Only two films which aren't often on telly.

I think that should be three - 'Rebel Without a Cause', 'East of Eden' and 'Giant'. All brilliant.
  • Options
    BastardBeaverBastardBeaver Posts: 11,903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was going to say Dustin Hoffman but then remembered he was in Hook!

Hmmm... I can't think right now. Audrey Hepburn perhaps.
  • Options
    Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • Options
    bbclassicsbbclassics Posts: 7,806
    Forum Member
    Marlon Brando

Elizabeth Taylor
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Most of the major Hollywood 'Golden Age' stars like Clark Gable, Marilyn Monroe, Frank Sinatra, Elizabeth Taylor, John Wayne, Spencer Tracey, Audrey Hepburn. Charlie Chaplin, Buster Keaton, Laurence Olivier, Steve McQueen are other big names too from that era.
    I'm starting to wonder now. Have I seen whole movies with some of those names or just clips?
    Olivier? Don't know. But I did record Becket the other day.
    Monroe?
    Sinatra? I was going to watch Oceans 11 but I don't think I got round to it.
    Hepburn? Possibly when I was a kid watching with the family.
    Taylor? Can't recall anything.
  • Options
    RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The three main actors of the Twilight movies are famous, but I've never seen any films they've been in.
  • Options
    Danger CloseDanger Close Posts: 3,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Woody Allen
    James Dean
    Marilyn Monroe
  • Options
    RoseAnneRoseAnne Posts: 3,203
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The two Ryans. Gosling and the other one!

A lot of the new stars such as Melissa McCarthy. Channing Tatum. I watched the MTV movie awards this year and didn't know most of the stars in it!
    (I am fifty something though,. :). )
  • Options
    Walter NeffWalter Neff Posts: 9,201
    Forum Member
    Also haven't seen the films of Charles Bronson,. Recently I've yet to catch up with Melissa McCarthy, Seth Rogen and Tyler Perry.

Yep just lost some credibility, I truly am a child of the 90s :)

EDIT: Just realised I have seen a Chuck Norris film, he was in The Expendables 2. Also realised I haven't seen any Bruce Lee movies.

I don't know any of these new names, and can't say that I want to. I am happily stuck in the 1940's, 50's and '60's, and have enough Classic films on tape and disc to last me for the rest of my life. :)
  • Options
    CreamteaCreamtea Posts: 14,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've never seen anything with Ryan Gosling in it (though he's apparently a decent
    actor).

I saw one film on TV with him and Michelle Williams about an unhappy couple. It was so unmemorable and tedious I've completely forgotten the title.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I also haven't seen a lot of newer actors in anything. I've never seen Melissa McCarthy, Bradley Cooper, Christoph Waltz, Jessica Chastain, or Ryan Gosling in anything.

As for the old classics, I've never seen Clark Gable or Greta Garbo act.

I should mention, to be fair, that there are a lot of actors who I've only seen in one film.
  • Options
    Amanda_RaymondAmanda_Raymond Posts: 2,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Possibly Peter Sellers although I have seen the film about his life
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    I'm starting to wonder now. Have I seen whole movies with some of those names or just clips?
    Olivier? Don't know. But I did record Becket the other day.
    Monroe?
    Sinatra? I was going to watch Oceans 11 but I don't think I got round to it.
    Hepburn? Possibly when I was a kid watching with the family.
    Taylor? Can't recall anything.

I've seen bits and pieces of these actors work on television/youtube but none of their films from start to finish.
    I don't know any of these new names, and can't say that I want to. I am happily stuck in the 1940's, 50's and '60's, and have enough Classic films on tape and disc to last me for the rest of my life. :)

Oh crap, I hope that didn't make me come off as a snob lol! I always try to see older films when I can. I just have to find time for them whilst keeping up the stuff that's currently coming out in the cinemas. When I said I was a child of the 90s I meant that I grew up in the 90s so naturally I'm going to be more familiar with films/actors of my generation rather than previous eras :D
  • Options
    Ancient IDTVAncient IDTV Posts: 10,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I haven't seen any Eddie Murphy movies yet, even though I have Beverly Hills Cop in a DVD boxset I bought years ago.
  • Options
    Walter NeffWalter Neff Posts: 9,201
    Forum Member
    I've seen bits and pieces of these actors work on television/youtube but none of their films from start to finish.

Oh crap, I hope that didn't make me come off as a snob lol! I always try to see older films when I can. I just have to find time for them whilst keeping up the stuff that's currently coming out in the cinemas. When I said I was a child of the 90s I meant that I grew up in the 90s so naturally I'm going to be more familiar with films/actors of my generation rather than previous eras :D

No more than I am a snob for not bothering to even look at modern films. ;-)

It is only natural that we prefer the stars and films of our childhood and youth. I can hardly expect younger people to be interested in films that I saw more than sixty years ago, although I am often pleasantly surprised that some are very knowledgeable about the film and stars of The Golden Age. :)
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,876
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Is Chris Pine famous enough?