The Leftovers - Season 1 - US Pace (spoilers)

Comments

• RooksRooks Posts: 9,098
    Forum Member
    MrSuper wrote: »
    I hate to say this for those that are coming to this show thinking that it's something else and expecting there to be sci-fi, action, thrills and spills but BIB genuinely is the whole premise of the show. It really is about the 'leftovers' and how they carry on with their lives. If you want answers then it won't be there, this isn't that kind of show. It's all about drama and tragedy and conflict and relationships and this series is exactly that. This is HBO. Everyone knows their pedigree.

Ah so this is Lindeloff's reaction to getting lambasted for his answers to the mysteries in Lost. He's got a show where he doesn't even have to try and answer the core mystery of the show :D

I've got to say this isn't a show for me. I laboured through the pilot but I would normally give a show another couple of episodes to find its feet. However, the suggestion is that the pilot is representive of the series as a whole so I'll give it a miss.
  • StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I quite enjoyed it but it could certainly go either way.

I did like the Police Chief & his family as characters - there is an unusual dynamic there which may be predominantly 'survivor guilt' or may be something else.. Th ecults are interesting in different ways. Love Patterson Joseph. Chris Eccleston is always watchable.

For me it's certainly worth giving it a chance. But after reading very polarized views on other shows like Penny Dreadful I can readily accept that one man's atmospheric is another's boring!
  • jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    very interesting this one, pretty sombre WITHOUT the sad piano music, and it feels like a multinational story, but the focus on that one town .....

of course the mystery might not be "the lost" ..... but why the garvey's split ..... could be really interesting if either kevin OR jill separate from each other, as if when kevin get's laurie back!

but first we have to worry about kevin not being drowned :D

i didn't watched TREME, but this feels like that
  • Yo Omars CominYo Omars Comin Posts: 1,571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's absolutely nothing like Treme.
  • MoreTearsMoreTears Posts: 7,025
    Forum Member
    It's absolutely nothing like Treme.

Of course it is. An exploration of ordinary people trying to pick up the pieces of their ordinary lives after a big, terrible event changed their world (Hurricane Katrina in the case of Treme).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You'll be saying Broadchurch is like Twin Peaks next.
    Forum Member
    You'll be saying Broadchurch is like Twin Peaks next.

In your first post you used the words "absolutely nothing like." That goes way beyond denying one thing is LIKE another. There are obvious similarities between Broadchurch and Twin Peaks, to go along with the differences. In both shows a murder has taken place in a small ton full of secrets, and a lawman who is an outsider comes to town to lead the investigation into the murder.
  • zwixxxzwixxx Posts: 10,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shows that spend umpteen series leading up to a revelation/solution/explanation only to shaft the viewers with something crappy/sucky, well those series pss me off. But this one, with the why not being important, the focus being on those affected and the different ways in which they deal, well I can get right behind that type of a series :)

(maybe Lindolof's next project (whenever that might be) can be a Groundhog Day that effects the whole world - and not just one or two people that's been done over-n-n-over.)

btw: going by the pilot I was reminded of the Defying Gravity show - with the journey being more important that the destination thing :)
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well that's me out.

Can't stand another long scene of 'talk' that means nothing or seeing a bunch of pathetic people do even more pathetic things.

No wonder these lot were left over. The after life is better off without them.

And yes we get it, the people in white don't talk but they communicate by writing. Just talk FGS. rolleyes.

And NO long drawn out scenes don't a good drama make, especially just because it is on HBO.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've read from a few different people that episode 3 is where this show really excels and carries on from there so I'll give it another watch. But, yeah, my views are very similar to the above post.

The only word I can really use to describe it is boring.
  • MaccaMacca Posts: 18,534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    HBO have made some great shows over the years but I fear this ain't one of them.
    I'll give it another couple of episodes to see if it picks up but I'm not hopeful.
    BTW, where did all the snow come from in ep2? Last week they were all in shirt sleeves.
    Forum Member
    Maccadanny wrote: »
    HBO have made some great shows over the years but I fear this ain't one of them.
    I'll give it another couple of episodes to see if it picks up but I'm not hopeful.
    BTW, where did all the snow come from in ep2? Last week they were all in shirt sleeves.

The pilot was filmed in summer 2013. HBO didn't decide to pick up the pilot for a full season until September, at which point writing commenced on new episodes. By the time they started filming episode 2, it was winter. This is the sort of thing that happens in an era when not all American TV is made in Southern California like it used to be.
  • MaccaMacca Posts: 18,534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MoreTears wrote: »
    The pilot was filmed in summer 2013. HBO didn't decide to pick up the pilot for a full season until September, at which point writing commenced on new episodes. By the time they started filming episode 2, it was winter. This is the sort of thing that happens in an era when not all American TV is made in Southern California like it used to be.
    Thanks, that explains it.
  • jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    still interesting, branching off in it's own directions, and like how it's going the small story route rather an all encompassing big end of season one!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I enjoyed episode 2.

I am interested by all the story lines, especially the woman whose whole family disappeared. I like the questionable sanity of the Police Chief and the ambiguity of the dog shooting man - until daughter asked who he was letting us know she saw him so he is (presumably) real. Liked the interactions with the father - are they suggestion schizophrenia? This normally manifests at a much earlier age so could be 'rapture' related. Or could be a psychotic break. I like the contrast between the cults. Joseph Patterson does scary psycho very well:o And I love the interactions between the 'left overs' of that cult after the police raid. The smoking cult I'm not so keen with the symbolic tree chopping - but that might improve as we get to know them.

Overall, has the potential to become a 'must watch' for me.
  • silentNatesilentNate Posts: 84,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Episode three features Chris Eccleston doing the best acting I've seen for years! :o :cool:

A 'must see' show for me even if it gets cancelled early :blush:
  • Inky BinkyInky Binky Posts: 2,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    silentNate wrote: »
    Episode three features Chris Eccleston doing the best acting I've seen for years! :o :cool:

A 'must see' show for me even if it gets cancelled early :blush:

It won't get cancelled "early". It's on a premium channel (HBO) so they will air the entire season no matter how poor the ratings are. But whether it will be back next year is still up in the air.
  • silentNatesilentNate Posts: 84,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Inky Binky wrote: »
    It won't get cancelled "early". It's on a premium channel (HBO) so they will air the entire season no matter how poor the ratings are. But whether it will be back next year is still up in the air.

Given the 'coming up' segment at the end of the last episode...
    Will there be anyone left for season two?? :o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wow - Chris Eccleston delivering a master class :D

REALLY enjoyed that one - this is how you do exposition and not become boring. How you build tension and drama. How you bring out the best in an actor.

Think I'm properly hooked now.

Makes up for The Last Ship being a complete bag o' shite.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Did anyone else notice the English flag flying over the church?

It is a bit worrying that people who seem to have sinned have disappeared too. Does this mean it wasn't the Rapture or does this mean there is a question about who was good or not?

The show works on the assumption it was the Rapture, but could it have been aliens or something similar?

I also like the title of the episode 'Two Boats and a Helicopter', it is one of my favorite 'jokes' about religion.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did anyone else notice the English flag flying over the church?

I put it down to either St George (it was the St George Cross) or a tip of the hat to Chris being English.
    It is a bit worrying that people who seem to have sinned have disappeared too. Does this mean it wasn't the Rapture or does this mean there is a question about who was good or not?

The show works on the assumption it was the Rapture, but could it have been aliens or something similar?

I don't think it matters what caused the disappearances of the 2%. What matters is what people believe caused the disappearance of the 2%. And there is going to be many theories - including the Rapture..
    I also like the title of the episode 'Two Boats and a Helicopter', it is one of my favorite 'jokes' about religion.

Don't know that joke :blush:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Don't know that joke :blush:

A religious man is on top of a roof during a great flood. A man comes by in a boat and says "get in, get in!" The religous man replies, " no I have faith in God, he will grant me a miracle."

Later the water is up to his waist and another boat comes by and the guy tells him to get in again. He responds that he has faith in god and god will give him a miracle. With the water at about chest high, another boat comes to rescue him, but he turns down the offer again cause "God will grant him a miracle."

With the water at chin high, a helicopter throws down a ladder and they tell him to get in, mumbling with the water in his mouth, he again turns down the request for help for the faith of God. He arrives at the gates of heaven with broken faith and says to Peter, I thought God would grand me a miracle and I have been let down." St. Peter chuckles and responds, "I don't know what you're complaining about, we sent you three boats and a helicopter."
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A religious man is on top of a roof during a great flood. A man comes by in a boat and says "get in, get in!" The religous man replies, " no I have faith in God, he will grant me a miracle."

Later the water is up to his waist and another boat comes by and the guy tells him to get in again. He responds that he has faith in god and god will give him a miracle. With the water at about chest high, another boat comes to rescue him, but he turns down the offer again cause "God will grant him a miracle."

With the water at chin high, a helicopter throws down a ladder and they tell him to get in, mumbling with the water in his mouth, he again turns down the request for help for the faith of God. He arrives at the gates of heaven with broken faith and says to Peter, I thought God would grand me a miracle and I have been let down." St. Peter chuckles and responds, "I don't know what you're complaining about, we sent you three boats and a helicopter."

Lol :D

Edit: and very appropriate to the episode.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Lol :D

Edit: and very appropriate to the episode.

I wasn't sure if the 3 pigeons were for the number 3 red or the number of times to bet.

Then I was worried he would get robbed especially when he stayed in the car for so long. Glad he got the money back.

A good episode at last.

Oh no the irony of the people in white buying the church. :eek:
  • AsmoAsmo Posts: 15,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I think the point is that the only event it seems to have any similarity to is the rapture, but it doesn't conform to expectations of that either - so there's the irony of some religious types (Eccelston's pastor) finding themselves having to deny an apparently miraculous event, and scientific types having no answers probably now harbouring a fear of the unknown, having failed to find anything to pin a theory on.

The questionnaire that the woman whose entire family vanished was putting to other families of 'departed' (episode 2), appeared to be part of a study to determine if there was anything that connected the victims, be it moral failings or 'lifestyle choices' or whatever. Looks like the powers that be are trying to determine themselves, if this could have a 'non-scientific' explanation too!