The fault in our stars

CrazyLoopCrazyLoop Posts: 31,148
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I thought I would make a thread for this, I did a quick search to see if one had been made but couldn't see anything.

Has anyone else been to see this yet? I went last week and apart from having to miss the beginning, I really enjoyed it :D

Comments

• Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    Isn't it just Beverley Hills 90210 with added cancer? :p

Seriously though, I did have a look at this, even though teen weepies aren't really my thing. Almost all the serious British critics have given it a kicking and the 80% rating on Rotten Tomatoes is due entirely to American reviewers. Perhaps they have more of a liking for sentimental stuff than us cynical Brits?

Robbie Collin always tries to see the good in every film (bless him) and says that the central performances are actually quite good but scenes like the making out in the Ann Frank museum are massively ill-judged - perhaps they should have nipped off to Belsen to get to second base? :p
  • twingletwingle Posts: 19,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Off to see it tonight, half way thro the book and know it won't be a patch on it
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,328
    Forum Member
    A best-selling book....young love...cancer...suffering etc. Blimey, there's some heavyweight box-ticking going on here.

Is there a 'life message' and some sad piano at the end by any chance?
  • Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    A best-selling book....young love...cancer...suffering etc. Blimey, there's some heavyweight box-ticking going on here.

Is there a 'life message' and some sad piano at the end by any chance?

Look on the bright side - there seems very little chance of a sequel or any franchise business...:p
  • VioletSummersVioletSummers Posts: 1,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved the book but the film just emphasised the unrealistic dialogue between the lead characters. I am only slightly older than the characters but I don't know anybody who talks in so many riddles and metaphors.

Ansel, metaphors aside, makes the perfect Gus though!
  • GiraffeGirlGiraffeGirl Posts: 13,619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I enjoyed it for what it was - a sweet enough little story. Really liked the lead actors, thought they did very well.

The hysterical sobbing in the cinema was something to experience too! I mean, I've cried at films (didn't at this one) but never in a way where I'm choking.
  • abigail1234abigail1234 Posts: 1,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was urged to see this with and by my 22-year old son who had read the book (twice) and the author's podcasts. I really enjoyed it: loved the dry, acerbic wit and the way this was definitely not another cancer story.