Options

Views On Manchester

Master OzzyMaster Ozzy Posts: 18,937
Forum Member
✭✭
What are peoples views on Manchester? I live in London, but recently went to Manchester for the first time and have been a couple of times now. I really, really like it. In some ways it's a lot like London, but everything is closer and nearer which is nice as if you're on a nigh out for example, you don't have to walk miles to the next bar/club etc. Can anyone recommend anywhere to go/anything to see/do in Manchester? What are your views on it?

Comments

• Options
    Mrs BBVMrs BBV Posts: 3,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Love it......my only regret about my divorce was moving away. I went to University in Manchester in the days of the Hacienda, Dry and Boardwalk. Clubbed my way through the late 80's and early '90. Graduated, employed, career, bought a house and married all within a 20 minute drive of Deansgate and loved it soo much.

I would go back in a heartbeat but my hubby has his daughter and elderly parents to take into consideration. :(
  • Options
    Joey_JJoey_J Posts: 5,146
    Forum Member
    It's a decent City Manchester, been a dozen times or so, only thing against it is that place called.....hmmm let me think....oh yeh, Old Trafford :D but in all seriousness I like the place
  • Options
    Mrs BBVMrs BBV Posts: 3,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I love the shops so that's always a nice day out. I like the theatres especially the Royal Exchange which is a bit quirky. Love going to Rusholme for a decent curry. Lots of really good restaurants in the city now and ten minutes in the car towards Bolton, Bury, Rochdale, is beautiful countryside. Plus the football. Some really good hotels in the city as well. I really like The Lowry. Then there is the art galleries. And the Central Library is fab!

And as you say it's all fairly much within walking distance or at most a very short taxi journey ride.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,234
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've lived there a lot. It's okay if you like a medium sized, (I suppose), not very historical city, but that's all. Lots of shallow cold and rushed people, like in cities everywhere.
    I don't care about the best places to eat out, and I don't like nightlife or theatres so it was nothing special to me.

At least London has a lot more history.
  • Options
    GAZ237GAZ237 Posts: 863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It rains constantly.
  • Options
    kingdavekingdave Posts: 1,445
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dolls wrote: »
    I've lived there a lot. It's okay if you like a medium sized, (I suppose), not very historical city, but that's all. Lots of shallow cold and rushed people, like in cities everywhere.
    I don't care about the best places to eat out, and I don't like nightlife or theatres so it was nothing special to me.

Yeah, Manchester has no history at all.... :rolleyes:
  • Options
    thefairydandythefairydandy Posts: 3,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What are peoples views on Manchester? I live in London, but recently went to Manchester for the first time and have been a couple of times now. I really, really like it. In some ways it's a lot like London, but everything is closer and nearer which is nice as if you're on a nigh out for example, you don't have to walk miles to the next bar/club etc. Can anyone recommend anywhere to go/anything to see/do in Manchester? What are your views on it?

Try telling that to my sister. Whenever I visit, we sit in one bar, and then for some reason the next one we go to is always a 15min walk away (whilst walking past dozens of other bars).
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,274
    Forum Member
    It's too expensive! If you want a really good quit cover and sheet set it can cost a hell of a lot!
  • Options
    Lisa.JLisa.J Posts: 1,919
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Given my location im possibly a little biased but I love Manchester.

I work in Spinningfields and that's excellent for a night out,especially over summer where all the outdoor bars are open (they are still open now but probably not much sun left to take advantage of them!) but open all year is The Oast House, Alchemist, Southern 11, Neighbourhood etc all within 5 minutes of each other, all really nice bars that serve food too. Its also great near Xmas, usually have an Ice Rink and pop up food/drink outlets etc

MOSI is always worth a visit and the football museum is a must for any football fans too.
  • Options
    jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,572
    Forum Member
    Mrs BBV wrote: »
    Well I love the shops so that's always a nice day out. I like the theatres especially the Royal Exchange which is a bit quirky. Love going to Rusholme for a decent curry. Lots of really good restaurants in the city now and ten minutes in the car towards Bolton, Bury, Rochdale, is beautiful countryside. Plus the football. Some really good hotels in the city as well. I really like The Lowry. Then there is the art galleries. And the Central Library is fab!

And as you say it's all fairly much within walking distance or at most a very short taxi journey ride.
    I also like the Royal Exchange and the Lowry - though that's in Salford of course! Love the trams and the free city centre shuttle buses. Shame the Central Library is closed at the mo though for massive renovations, as is the Cathedral.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I lived very close to Manchester for most of my life and, like most big cities, I can take it or leave it.

It's great to visit for the nightlife, theatres, shopping, museums etc - but the hustle + bustle and volume of people and the traffic drives me nuts.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 154
    Forum Member

No history? hmmm think you have walked around with your eyes closed, try a couple of the museums and you might learn something, or just open your eyes and look at all the amazing buildings.
  • Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    Horrible. Wrecked, like almost every other city centre, by the Victorians and Post-War town planners.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    No history? hmmm think you have walked around with your eyes closed, try a couple of the museums and you might learn something, or just open your eyes and look at all the amazing buildings.

Such as? Nearly everything dates to the 19th and 20th centuries, which is sad for a settlement that dates back to the 1st century AD.
  • Options
    Green ThingGreen Thing Posts: 1,885
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

eh...:confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member

True. Even the hideous parts of the City rebuilt after the World War Two have miraculously retained the medieval street plan in many areas.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,888
    Forum Member
    I like it! Been there a few times for the football.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    I love it. Went to uni here, moved to London and stayed for 8 years before finally coming back up North last year.

Dont miss London in the slightest. Manchester has everything you need!!
  • Options
    Green ThingGreen Thing Posts: 1,885
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yesandno wrote: »
    I love it. Went to uni here, moved to London and stayed for 8 years before finally coming back up North last year.

Dont miss London in the slightest. Manchester has everything you need!!

Apart from a beach
  • Options
    LandisLandis Posts: 14,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Manchester?
    A great place to live and work. In fact....I would say possibly the best* place to live and work in the UK - and I am not from Manchester.

* Based on:
    Commute times
    Property prices/Disposable income.
  • Options
    hunter23hunter23 Posts: 3,097
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    looked pretty grim from what i seen.
  • Options
    RegTheHedgeRegTheHedge Posts: 2,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a bit of a dump tbh

Preferred Liverpool - way friendlier
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,234
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Such as? Nearly everything dates to the 19th and 20th centuries, which is sad for a settlement that dates back to the 1st century AD.

yep, that's what I meant.

I meant literally it's not *very* historical. Yes it has long history as a settlement, and yes there are some very ancient buildings, but there's not much there which dates pre 19th century in comparison with say, York or Lincoln.

Now York - with it's medieval quarter - is a city I could really appreciate and grow fond of!

Manchester's not bad, it really isn't at all, but it's just a pretty typical city from the point of view of someone who doesn't particularly like cities usually, (so I probably should have maybe not said anything).
  • Options
    JustmadeitJustmadeit Posts: 7,512
    Forum Member
    The towncentre 7 miles up the road from me, i actually prefer it to london. The weather is pretty appaling for large parts of the year though , very grey which can be extremly depressing on a cold december/jan/feb/march day, though this summer has been great, plenty of sunny days and clear skies for a change !!