Options

The Pro Cycling Thread (Part 2)

Comments

• Options
    Party AnimalParty Animal Posts: 1,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    swingaleg wrote: »
    Quite a few years ago David Duffield ( ES commentator) when he was setting the scene would say that there were 8000 people travelling with the Tour.........so basically it is a small town travelling along the route and decamping every night........

probably more than 8000 now ..........

I would not care to hazard a guess how many involved.. on local TV here last night they were thanking the 12000 volunteers who will help marshall the event

the security is tight on the Local Hotels with fans last night converging on them snapping with mobile phones etc at two of the Hotels the police were called to shift them all
    today some one really famous must be showing up at Harewood as the Local tv is saying they cannot name the person for security reasons which is odd consideing that tomorrow 3 Royals are arriving yet the person today coming cannot be named
    all very odd
  • Options
    deivu74deivu74 Posts: 3,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe it's the French president himself!
  • Options
    grassmarketgrassmarket Posts: 33,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    deivu74 wrote: »
    Maybe it's the French president himself!

They usually turn up for at least one of the French stages, sure enough.
  • Options
    Department_SDepartment_S Posts: 4,924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Michael Bling Matthews has sadly had to retire from the Tour following an earlier training ride crash.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Michael Bling Matthews has sadly had to retire from the Tour following an earlier training ride crash.

Typical. I jinxed him yesterday by saying I was going to support him. Oh well. Geraint Thomas is my hot choice now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Can riders still be replaced at this stage? Not quite sure.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can riders still be replaced at this stage? Not quite sure.

They must be as OGE have already confirmed Christian Meier as his replacement.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They must be as OGE have already confirmed Christian Meier as his replacement.

There's hope for Wiggo yet!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's hope for Wiggo yet!

LMAO. I'm sticking pins in my Chris Froome voodoo doll as I type.
  • Options
    Department_SDepartment_S Posts: 4,924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't. Chris is the only cyclist that can challenge Bertie. I don't want to see a Spanish procession.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Following on from the earlier thread about the VIP visiting it turned out to be David Cameron
    rather odd how 3 Royals are advertised as being there yet the PM is top secret
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saw the Europecar cycling team training today on a road 1 mile from my house... pretty surreal driving around with the Worlds top riders training everywhere nearby
    cant really believe all this is going on in my home town
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Didn't realise David Millar was so big........:o

He looks to be a foot taller than Chris Boardman and Gary Imlach......
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Off we go on ITV - they haven't thought through the presenter's podium, David Millar is towering over Chris Boardman and Gary Imlach.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    swingaleg wrote: »
    Didn't realise David Millar was so big........:o

He looks to be a foot taller than Chris Boardman and Gary Imlach......

Yeah, I was shocked. He's about 6'3".
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, I was shocked. He's about 6'3".

no wonder he was a 'rouleur' and not a mountain goat !
  • Options
    divingbboydivingbboy Posts: 14,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gutted that David Millar isn't racing, though I'm glad he'll be commentating. Certainly a very thoughtful and intelligent bloke. Not afraid to go off piste in his comments, either.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    There's a long 'roll out' with Leeds being such a big city.........the flag won't drop until Harewood House which will be around mid-day
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's a lull between 11.40 and noon where they have to stop and get off their bikes apparently - for the opening ceremony at Harewood.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've been to Harrogate a few times for conferences and the finish line today isn't far from the conference centre. The road kicks up quite a bit shortly before the final sprint, so I'd expect that to play a role insofar as positioning is concerned.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    There's a lull between 11.40 and noon where they have to stop and get off their bikes apparently - for the opening ceremony at Harewood.

I think that will just be the roll out through Leeds with the flag at Harewood House

I don't think they'll get off the bikes.......they never do on any other stage.......
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I agree it would be highly unusual for them to get off their bikes but I'm just going by what the book says. :)

11.10 Unofficial start of the 101st Tour de France
    11.40 Official starting ceremony of the 101st Tour de France ahead Harewood House
    12.00 Official start of the first stage
  • Options
    Mrs TeapotMrs Teapot Posts: 124,896
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    And we're off
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think you're right...........effectively they appear to have 2 roll outs........one to get outside the city, then another at Harewood House

I wonder how many people watching for the first time will think 'blimey, this is boring..........they're crawling along' !
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Contador already attacking............