Thailand or Maylasia? - 3 day Break

TangoTango Posts: 526
Forum Member
✭✭
Still have not decided where to go for a short break whilst in HK

I am interested in tourist attractions and hotels like premier inn standard

Can anyone recommend a place to visit and areas to stay?

KL or Bangkok or Phuket

Thanks

Comments

• dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hotel prices in those Countries tend to be a lot cheaper than Hong Kong, so for your money you will probably get a better standard of accommodation than a Premier Inn.

Depends how hectic you want it, I haven't been to any of those places, but I would imagine as cities go KL would be less hectic, which you might want after HK...if you want beach then go to Phuket.

Alternative ideas besides those listed maybe:

Borneo
    Bali
    Vietnam
  • wenchwench Posts: 8,928
    Forum Member
    After visiting Hong Kong you will probably want a beach or rural break unless you particularly love hectic cities!

I would recommend Thailand BUT not Phuket which is like the Blackpool of Thailand. Go to Hui Hin or pi pi island.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So many options! Bangkok is much more fun (and cheaper) than KL and is ideal for a 3 night break but it depends on whether you want somewhere to party or relax - and Bangkok may be a little too like Hong Kong. You also need to factor in flight and transfer times. If you aren't careful you'll spend too much time travelling so I'd stick to places with a direct flight from HK.

Phuket (at least Patong) is one of the most expensive and crappiest parts of SE Asia but there are some very nice places nearby such as Ao Nang. There are also direct flights from HK to Koh Samui.

In Malaysia, the islands of Penang and Langkawi are worth looking at. Penang is a very bustling place but Langkawi is a laid back tropical isle where nothing much every happens.

If you aren't bothered about beaches then look at Chiang Mai in northern Thailand or even Phnom Penh in Cambodia. Not sure about the direct flights though.

I'm going to be in Hong Kong in a few months time and then I'll be heading into Vietnam, but it's not worth going there for 3 days because of the visa costs.
  • Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    Will second Bali fantastic place, nice and calm after the hustle and bustle of HK
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Will second Bali fantastic place, nice and calm after the hustle and bustle of HK

The only problem is that Bali is a 5 hour flight from HK. That may be a little too long for a 3 day trip. There are lots of places which are closer.
  • whitecliffewhitecliffe Posts: 12,146
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not sure how stable Thailand is, I assume its no longer under martial law.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure how stable Thailand is, I assume its no longer under martial law.

It's fine now and the curfews have been lifted. The military are still in charge but that generally means that Thailand is more stable than when there's an elected government. As long as you don't go poking your nose around military bases or government offices then you won't have a problem.
  • Bob_WhingerBob_Whinger Posts: 1,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bangkok has three days worth of tourist attractions, if you have never been before.
    Or three days in Macau is good, which is only a fast ferry ride away.
  • PatchbunclePatchbuncle Posts: 2,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kota Kinabalu is beautiful.
  • wenchwench Posts: 8,928
    Forum Member
    Bangkok has three days worth of tourist attractions, if you have never been before.
    Or three days in Macau is good, which is only a fast ferry ride away.

Really?? You can do Macau in a day and even then its crap!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The OP really needs to come back to give some more information on what they are looking for as the options are almost endless.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    you may try Singapore, a great place to visit, there are plenty direct flights from HK to Sg.
  • TangoTango Posts: 526
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    The OP really needs to come back to give some more information on what they are looking for as the options are almost endless.

Thanks for you previous post, not this one

I really want tourist attraction holiday, like in Beijing you can do in 3 days with the main 12 attractions.

I think Phuket is too ibiza for me. don't need the beach

I think its between KL or Bangkok?
  • dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Peter_Fang wrote: »
    you may try Singapore, a great place to visit, there are plenty direct flights from HK to Sg.

If you like theme parks, skyscrapers and no personality then Singapore is a great place for the OP to go.
  • RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Taipei? Spent 3 days there 20 years ago. No idea what it's like now.

http://wikitravel.org/en/Taipei
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tango wrote: »
    I think its between KL or Bangkok?

If it's between Bangkok and KL then Bangkok wins easily. It's a shorter flight, hotels are cheaper, beer/food is cheaper - in fact, everything is cheaper. Bangkok has lots of things to see and do. KL is just endless shopping malls. 3 days is just about perfect for Bangkok.

Get a hotel somewhere on Sukhumvit Rd so you can explore the city by the Skytrain and river boat during the day and it's the centre of the nightlife later on.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If it's between Bangkok and KL then Bangkok wins easily. It's a shorter flight, hotels are cheaper, beer/food is cheaper - in fact, everything is cheaper. Bangkok has lots of things to see and do. KL is just endless shopping malls. 3 days is just about perfect for Bangkok.

Get a hotel somewhere on Sukhumvit Rd so you can explore the city by the Skytrain and river boat during the day and it's the centre of the nightlife later on.

Sounds good, looked at some on Tripadvisor and all the monuments are near Sao Chin Cha

3 Days in Bangkok

Can you recommend a hotel or maybe one you have stayed in
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds good, looked at some on Tripadvisor and all the monuments are near Sao Chin Cha

3 Days in Bangkok

Can you recommend a hotel or maybe one you have stayed in

Really depends on your budget. You can spend £5 on a hostel bed or £200 on a 5* hotel. However for £40-50 a night you can get some excellent hotels, certainly compared to what you have to pay in Hong Kong.

As I said, Sukhumvit is the the most accessible area as it is on the Sky Train network and there are many hotels to choose from, loads of bars and restaurants and the centre of everything. Think of Soho/LKF in Hong Kong. Have a look at http://www.bangkok.com/sukhumvit/ and http://www.asiarooms.com/en/thailand/bangkok/sukhumvit.html

If you want somewhere cheaper then the backpacker hotels are clustered around the infamous Khao San Road but the transport options are more limited, especially in the evening when the river taxi stops. I find it a great area to hang out during to day as there are loads of cheap bars and cafes but I'd like to go back to the "downtown" area at night.

Bangkok probably the best choice from HK as there are lots of cheap flight (Air Asia) and the distance isn't too far.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Really depends on your budget. You can spend £5 on a hostel bed or £200 on a 5* hotel. However for £40-50 a night you can get some excellent hotels, certainly compared to what you have to pay in Hong Kong.

As I said, Sukhumvit is the the most accessible area as it is on the Sky Train network and there are many hotels to choose from, loads of bars and restaurants and the centre of everything. Think of Soho/LKF in Hong Kong. Have a look at http://www.bangkok.com/sukhumvit/ and http://www.asiarooms.com/en/thailand/bangkok/sukhumvit.html

If you want somewhere cheaper then the backpacker hotels are clustered around the infamous Khao San Road but the transport options are more limited, especially in the evening when the river taxi stops. I find it a great area to hang out during to day as there are loads of cheap bars and cafes but I'd like to go back to the "downtown" area at night.

Bangkok probably the best choice from HK as there are lots of cheap flight (Air Asia) and the distance isn't too far.

My friend was near where the sky train met the subway . The expat bit looks good,
    Which hotel did stay in ?

Probably not spend more that £25 and be near the transport?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My friend was near where the sky train met the subway . The expat bit looks good,
    Which hotel did stay in ?

Probably not spend more that £25 and be near the transport?

That sounds like Asoke junction. You couldn't be more central if you tried. I've stopped in a few places in that area including the Park Plaza and the S Sukhumvit Suites (http://www.ssukhumvitsuites.com/) but usually spend closer to £40-50 a night. Around your budget, take a look at http://tunehotels.com/gb/en/our-hotels/asoke-bangkok/ but there are many others

In Bangkok the side streets of the main roads are called "sois" and are numbered in order. On Sukhumvit, the main "expat" areas are between Soi 4 (Nana) and the low 20s. Anywhere is this area you will be within walking distance of a Sky train station and more places to eat and drink than you can count. There's a good map here: http://www.travelfish.org/map_detail/thailand/bangkok_and_surrounds/bangkok/sukhumvit/8
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That sounds like Asoke junction. You couldn't be more central if you tried. I've stopped in a few places in that area including the Park Plaza and the S Sukhumvit Suites (http://www.ssukhumvitsuites.com/) but usually spend closer to £40-50 a night. Around your budget, take a look at http://tunehotels.com/gb/en/our-hotels/asoke-bangkok/ but there are many others

In Bangkok the side streets of the main roads are called "sois" and are numbered in order. On Sukhumvit, the main "expat" areas are between Soi 4 (Nana) and the low 20s. Anywhere is this area you will be within walking distance of a Sky train station and more places to eat and drink than you can count. There's a good map here: http://www.travelfish.org/map_detail/thailand/bangkok_and_surrounds/bangkok/sukhumvit/8

Great tip

Tune Hotel

This looks like what I need.

Can you tell how to get from the airport, seems BKK in closer but I be flying from HK.
    Should i get a smart card for transport?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Think tune is too small and seen 2 more, any ideas?

City Point Hotel

Hotel Icon

Either end of the main road,I want easy access to tourist attractions

Thanks
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Think tune is too small and seen 2 more, any ideas?

City Point Hotel

Hotel Icon

Either end of the main road,I want easy access to tourist attractions

Thanks

Sorry for the delayed reply. I was away for the weekend.

Of those two, as long as the prices are similar, then I'd go for the City Point in terms of location. I've taken a look at the map and it is literally 2 mins from the Asoke Skytrain station and the subway.

As for getting from the airport, the easiest way is just to jump in a taxi. Bangkok taxis are cheap by international standards and it should cost around £6. If you want to save a bit of money can take the airport train to Makkasan and then change onto the subway to Sukhumvit station (which is joined to Asoke sky train station)