If I leave my job should I tell anyone?

BigNipperBigNipper Posts: 378
Forum Member
Say I give my 2 weeks notice into my boss and then when it gets to the last couple of days should I tell anyone. Most likely the message would go around but my boss works for the agency not inside the actual building.

Reason I ask is that the people there have treated me quite badly and made me feel uncomfortable and have been hostile to me for years so what's the point of even saying bye to them? None of them are genuine and a few talk crap about me behind my back weekly. A former employee turned up to visit one of the guys and asked about me and the guy told them he didn't really like me and some BS. This has also repeated about 5 times with other ex employees who turn up. They treat me like the new guy after 2 years and don't seem to value my opinion or presence. If I go about my business some wonder or think it's my fault that certain people want to treat me like a mug.

Comments

• RandomSallyRandomSally Posts: 7,071
    Forum Member
    As long as the people who need to know (ie the person who you handed your notice to) then that's all you have to do If you don't want to tell the people you work with, don't.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 204
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't in your case. Why give your co-workers more ammo to bad mouth you even if there is no reason in the first place? People like that have no lives and are only making themselves miserable.

Good luck OP
  • ian_charlesian_charles Posts: 578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    At least the days have gone of stripping you naked, taping you to a chair and then employing the services of a stripagram, to come in and tickle your todger with a feather duster, slap you round the chops with her stretch marked saggy knockers and then distribute the pictures far and wide.
  • Safi74Safi74 Posts: 5,580
    Forum Member
    @ off under your breath!!!) then skip off without a backwards glance.

I certainly wouldn't tell them as you'll probably get all the nosy parkers interrogating you!!!

Good luck 😊
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    tell em, have a party, collect gifts, swap personal email addresses... unless you hate them all lol.
  • gerry dgerry d Posts: 12,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do you have another job to go to?
  • bri160356bri160356 Posts: 5,147
    Forum Member
    There is no need to mention it to anyone if you don’t wish to. Just leave on Friday as normal.

If you are in social contact with any of your work colleagues then tell them at a later stage and explain why you left without saying goodbye to some of the people who you didn’t feel warranted any courtesy. The choice is yours.

As for the people who you felt didn’t deserve the courtesy of a ‘formal goodbye’ then I wouldn’t give them a second thought.

Very few people have a ‘perfect relationship’ with ALL their work colleagues; and people who think they do are usually a little deluded.
  • WolfsheadishWolfsheadish Posts: 10,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BigNipper wrote: »
    Say I give my 2 weeks notice into my boss and then when it gets to the last couple of days should I tell anyone. Most likely the message would go around but my boss works for the agency not inside the actual building.

Reason I ask is that the people there have treated me quite badly and made me feel uncomfortable and have been hostile to me for years so what's the point of even saying bye to them? None of them are genuine and a few talk crap about me behind my back weekly. A former employee turned up to visit one of the guys and asked about me and the guy told them he didn't really like me and some BS. This has also repeated about 5 times with other ex employees who turn up. They treat me like the new guy after 2 years and don't seem to value my opinion or presence. If I go about my business some wonder or think it's my fault that certain people want to treat me like a mug.

I don't think you need to tell them anything. If you DO tell them you might be surprised at how nice they suddenly become. I've been in jobs where people have ignored me the whole time I was there then they come and tell me how much they'll miss me on my last day.
  • Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    At least the days have gone of stripping you naked, taping you to a chair and then employing the services of a stripagram, to come in and tickle your todger with a feather duster, slap you round the chops with her stretch marked saggy knockers and then distribute the pictures far and wide.
    "Sighs" nostalgically ...............
    ;-)
  • MintMint Posts: 2,192
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    By not telling them that you are leaving they will realise that you were not that impressed with them either.
  • RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    An outgoing, popular colleague disappeared from our office one day. All the director said was "He's resigned". We never found out where he went and he didn't keep in touch with anyone. Some say he won the lottery and emigrated.
    It was all very weird.
  • BigNipperBigNipper Posts: 378
    Forum Member
    I only just thought about doing it. Seems so fitting since they never showed me much respect and went behind my back most of the time over petty things.

I just wonder what my agency boss will be like when I tell him I've found a job(when I actually find a job) since we got on well but he has no idea how they have treated me and it's too hard to explain. He's not a bad guy but sometimes has used weird blackmail to try and get you to work. I'd imagine him telling me he won't offer me any work during my 2 weeks notice or won't give me a reference or something.
  • performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BigNipper wrote: »
    I only just thought about doing it. Seems so fitting since they never showed me much respect and went behind my back most of the time over petty things.

I just wonder what my agency boss will be like when I tell him I've found a job(when I actually find a job) since we got on well but he has no idea how they have treated me and it's too hard to explain. He's not a bad guy but sometimes has used weird blackmail to try and get you to work. I'd imagine him telling me he won't offer me any work during my 2 weeks notice or won't give me a reference or something.

Stuff them all and move on. :)
  • Poppy99_PoppyPoppy99_Poppy Posts: 2,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stuff them all and move on. :)

This is the best advice.
  • Joey BoswellJoey Boswell Posts: 25,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just walk away with your head held high, OP, no need to tell your work colleagues anything you don't want them to know.

Good luck.
  • SupratadSupratad Posts: 10,442
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And whatever you do, don't top-deck the work lavvy.
  • jpcmejpcme Posts: 155
    Forum Member
    On your last day just as you leave wave a lottery ticket about and say you are feeling lucky.
  • butterworthbutterworth Posts: 17,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you can make it seem like just another day, say goodbye at the end, perform no handover and then never show up again, that would actually be pretty cool...
  • bri160356bri160356 Posts: 5,147
    Forum Member
    Supratad wrote: »
    And whatever you do, don't top-deck the work lavvy.

I’d absolutely no idea what this meant; .......now I do know what it means I rather wish I still didn’t. :o

Section ‘2’ of http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=topdeck

However, I agree with ‘Supratad’ .........., don’t!