Center Parcs

SamGamgeeSamGamgee Posts: 1,980
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Anyone been to center parcs?

is it worth it for the price? We have a 1 year old in tow and so can't really do many of the activities.

thanks
SG

Comments

• QTC13QTC13 Posts: 3,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SamGamgee wrote: »
    Anyone been to center parcs?

is it worth it for the price? We have a 1 year old in tow and so can't really do many of the activities.

thanks
    SG

Why go then?:confused::confused:

Why not go to the seaside and play on the beach instead. Even 1 year olds can manage that. Cheap too;)
  • Deb ArkleDeb Arkle Posts: 12,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    QTC13 wrote: »

Why not go to the seaside and play on the beach instead. Even 1 year olds can manage that. Cheap too;)

Because in the UK it's cold & rainy, and abroad a 1YO will head straight for the dog/cat poo. :(

OP - if you can afford it, I'd go for Centreparcs. I know it's a lot of dosh, but our 2 loved it there.
  • stirlingguy1stirlingguy1 Posts: 7,038
    Forum Member
    I've gone every year for 20 years, since I was 10. I can recommend it. Not wonderfully dear to get the villas themselves if you get at the right time but all the activities (except swimming) are extra, and not cheap! Thoroughly reccommend it for families with little'uns though.

PS: IMO, Elveden is nicest, then Longleat, followed by Sherwood. Not sure about the one about north, not been there.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 121
    Forum Member
    I've been going with my family since I was 3 (20 now) and we don't really do any of the activities. I thoroughly recommend it, especially if you have a little one.

Also, they do have a creche place and they have a babysitting service, if that would help sway you at all. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 681
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Go! You will have fun :) Get one of them buggy things that goes on a back of a bike so you can cycle your baby round and go on some nice bike rides! And stop off at the country club or where ever you want to go for a hot choccie or meal!

I used to go every year since I was 3. Not been in like 2 years. Damn I am getting withdrawal symptoms!

I went to the one at Sherwood Forrest in Nottingham. It is brilliant. The rapids are great!! So if you are going with your husband you can both take it in turns to looking after your baby and going on the rapids!! :D

At Sherwood Forrest they have the Pancake House too! You can have pancakes with literally anything on top of it. Like a cooked breakfast, the usual orange/lemon with sugar, icecream.. etc!!

Think there are a few more activities to do in the summer but the rapids are magical when it has been snowing and you go shooting down the rapids with snow all around you!

The pedalow boats are fun which is located next to the Pancake House!

There are a few play parks for kids too and crazy golf! Bowling, pictures. Restauraunts!

There is also a sports hall in Sherwood where you can play badminton and that. However you are with your baby so probably not. There are kids clubs! There might be a creche for 1 year olds??

There is horse riding, paintballing and all that jazz!!

However the Dome. The swimming area is good enough just to go there all weekend. They have a small pool for the babies, kids area, rapids, slides and waves and JACUUZIS!! And.. A PLUNGE POOL!! :D

You might as well go to the closest Center Parcs to you! Like I do with Sherwood Forrest. I went to the one further up North once before in Cumbria. That was okay but the rapids were not as good and Sherwood Forrest is better ;)

Never been to the other 2.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 681
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ok you are from Newcastle. I am guessing Cumbria one is closest to you? But I would just travel on the motorway to Nottingham!! It won't be that far? Like 3 hours tops!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 103
    Forum Member
    Go! You will have fun :) Get one of them buggy things that goes on a back of a bike so you can cycle your baby round and go on some nice bike rides! And stop off at the country club or where ever you want to go for a hot choccie or meal!

I used to go every year since I was 3. Not been in like 2 years. Damn I am getting withdrawal symptoms!

I went to the one at Sherwood Forrest in Nottingham. It is brilliant. The rapids are great!! So if you are going with your husband you can both take it in turns to looking after your baby and going on the rapids!! :D

At Sherwood Forrest they have the Pancake House too! You can have pancakes with literally anything on top of it. Like a cooked breakfast, the usual orange/lemon with sugar, icecream.. etc!!

Think there are a few more activities to do in the summer but the rapids are magical when it has been snowing and you go shooting down the rapids with snow all around you!

The pedalow boats are fun which is located next to the Pancake House!

There are a few play parks for kids too and crazy golf! Bowling, pictures. Restauraunts!

There is also a sports hall in Sherwood where you can play badminton and that. However you are with your baby so probably not. There are kids clubs! There might be a creche for 1 year olds??

There is horse riding, paintballing and all that jazz!!

However the Dome. The swimming area is good enough just to go there all weekend. They have a small pool for the babies, kids area, rapids, slides and waves and JACUUZIS!! And.. A PLUNGE POOL!! :D

You might as well go to the closest Center Parcs to you! Like I do with Sherwood Forrest. I went to the one further up North once before in Cumbria. That was okay but the rapids were not as good and Sherwood Forrest is better ;)

Never been to the other 2.

We were exactly the opposite, we felt that Whinfell at Cumbria was much nicer than Sherwood - the layout was better as the centre complex was completely covered.

OP - definitely get the flying start package, as you get 2 bike rentals included (and a few groceries) too, plus you get in a bit earlier. Just book the bike add-on you need for the baby - me little one loved the trailer and after a while it becomes easier to ride with it one (and is very handy for carrying picnics or swimming equipment or shopping)
  • Big PoyBig Poy Posts: 7,467
    Forum Member
    Sherwood Forest all day long
  • HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We used to go when the kids were small and always had a great time. It is very expensive and even back then I would do a Last Minute booking and save a lot.

I last went 3 years ago (Elveden) and had a good time but I did feel the quality and cleanliness had slipped. The kitchen had a musty smell, the fring pan was burnt to a cinder (but they did replace it as soon as I reported it). There was also a spate of cycle thefts and break ins but |I believe that's sorted now as they've stepped up security.
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TBH OP, with a one year old you are going be to limited with activities where ever you go. Question is what type of holiday are you looking for.

Been to sherwood forest one and found Centre parcs a bit overpriced but if you can get a good deal then its worth trying out. You could potentially get a really cheap holiday abroad for a similar price but I you need to think about what its like taking a 1 year old abroad.
  • CaltonfanCaltonfan Posts: 6,311
    Forum Member
    would defeinently recommend it even with a 1 year old, there is plenty to do without doing the activities.

Some things are expensive but I cant fault the place and have been several times over the years to Whinfell Forest.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    QTC13 wrote: »

What sort of places do you stay in abroad where a 1yr old can get their hands on dog/cat poo???

Anyway, have you though of butlins or haven holidays. Butlins imparticular tend to cater for children of most ages and there are shows etc that you and your little one can watch.
  • epsomepsom Posts: 4,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deb Arkle wrote: »
    Because in the UK it's cold & rainy, and abroad a 1YO will head straight for the dog/cat poo. :(
    Beaches are only clean in the UK:rolleyes:Yeah right:rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've been going to the Longleat one every year since I was 6 (17 years!) and I love it. Have been to the Sherwood one as well, which I didn't think was as good, but I can't speak for the others.
    To be honest, I always think the most expensive and ridiculous thing about Center Parcs is how much they charge for the activities, so not doing many would probably make it more worth it!
  • Deb ArkleDeb Arkle Posts: 12,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    epsom wrote: »
    Beaches are only clean in the UK:rolleyes:Yeah right:rolleyes:
    Just speaking from experience; many beaches in the UK don't allow dogs but many abroad have a high population of stray cats & dogs. Our son discovered a poo stash in Minorca, and wiped it all over his body while trying to get it off his hands & feet. Yuk!
  • BrunoStreeteBrunoStreete Posts: 7,180
    Forum Member
    Can someone who goes to Centre Parcs tell me why it's worth the frankly ridiculous amounts of money they charge?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can someone who goes to Centre Parcs tell me why it's worth the frankly ridiculous amounts of money they charge?

You are quite spread out, numbers are limited (definitely compared to butlins and havens) and the indoor facilities are pretty good. But reality is they charge the high prices because there are enough people willing to pay.

Just having a look and their earning seem to be sliding,

http://www.centerparcs.co.uk/images/pdfs/annual_review_2010.pdf
  • BrunoStreeteBrunoStreete Posts: 7,180
    Forum Member
    c4rv wrote: »
    You are quite spread out, numbers are limited (definitely compared to butlins and havens) and the indoor facilities are pretty good. But reality is they charge the high prices because there are enough people willing to pay.

Just having a look and their earning seem to be sliding,

http://www.centerparcs.co.uk/images/pdfs/annual_review_2010.pdf

I just wondered as i've got quotes for a family of 3 for next September and we can have a huge cottage for less than half the price of centre parcs.
  • davidmcndavidmcn Posts: 12,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    icelady wrote: »
    imparticular

Heh - haven't seen that eggcorn before!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just wondered as i've got quotes for a family of 3 for next September and we can have a huge cottage for less than half the price of centre parcs.

yes you can. You can even have a centre parcs holiday abroad (including ferry travel and petrol costs) if you will to put up with 1/2 days travel each way. And most likely get better weather.

centre parcs has got its attractions, there are organised activities, some are included in the cost and there is stuff to do even if its raining
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    davidmcn wrote: »
    Heh - haven't seen that eggcorn before!

No idea what your on about but if your pretending to be the grammar police then you can stick your eggcorn somewhere dark and dingy. :rolleyes:
  • Judge MentalJudge Mental Posts: 18,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've just come back from Center Parcs (Sherwood) having met up with my family sharing two large villas. There were kids aged 10 to 16 - the younger ones loved it and there was enough for the older ones. I used to go at regular intervals when my own kids were younger and they always enjoyed it. With a very little one it's the dome that's the big attraction because there are areas of the pool specifically for them. And it's nice being able to walk around or cycle with no cars around - the Sherwood setting is really nice in summer or winter - in winter it's nice to get a log for the fire and stay in the villa listening to music or watching TV with a bottle of wine. The staff are really good - they brought my mum a bottle of wine for her birthday. They also have a great medical centre and transport across the site if you have elderly or infirm family members with you. Yes the activities are over priced but there is something for everyone.

I've also been to the Cumbria one which is also good.
  • fefsterfefster Posts: 7,388
    Forum Member
    It is very expensive for what it is. Quite frankly, there are many holiday parks in the UK that are better value.
  • ste1969ste1969 Posts: 1,203
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fefster wrote: »
    It is very expensive for what it is. Quite frankly, there are many holiday parks in the UK that are better value.

such as
  • BrigonBrigon Posts: 2,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not worth it with a 1 year old. Go back when he is older.