Options

Is it correct to label Michael Jackson the "King of Pop"

Wise BadgerWise Badger Posts: 781
Forum Member
✭✭
Michael Jackson's music was not really pop music

it was a mixture R&B, soul and funk

pop music is like the Spice Girls or Britney Spears - catchy tunes with very little soul

Michael Jackson's style was a lot like James Brown with the grunts and the raspy vocals.

Comments

• Options
    TributeTribute Posts: 820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    'As a genre, pop music is very eclectic, often borrowing elements from other styles including urban, dance, rock, Latin and country.'

That somes up the majority of his music pretty well.

/ thread.
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    Michael Jackson's music was not really pop music

it was a mixture R&B, soul and funk

pop music is like the Spice Girls or Britney Spears - catchy tunes with very little soul

Michael Jackson's style was a lot like James Brown with the grunts and the raspy vocals.

He wasn't the king of R&B, soul and funk either. Not by a long shot. Compared with the jazz funk and R&B music I listen to, his music was just pop. Most of it nothing special.

I much prefer Janet Jackson's music.

Janet Jackson - The Pleasure Principle (Long Vocal Remix) [janeticon.com]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AI2qIYj2xuE

Janet Jackson - When I Think Of You [Dance Remix]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8949IsfBtk4

Janet Jackson Control Extended Mix
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZQVhCEazt8

etc.
  • Options
    AdzPowerAdzPower Posts: 4,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Isn't pop just short for popular?
  • Options
    homer2012homer2012 Posts: 5,216
    Forum Member
    AdzPower wrote: »
    Isn't pop just short for popular?

Yep.

I await this read been turned into the following

Jackson was a peado
    Jackson wasnt that great
    Jackson was overrated
    Jackson didnt play own instruments

And bla bla bla
  • Options
    Forum Member
    homer2012 wrote: »
    Yep.

Jackson was a peado
    Jackson wasnt that great
    Jackson was overrated

And bla bla bla

This is the music forum. Please stop trying to stir up trouble. Keep it to GD or maybe Showbiz. This is a critique about his music, not his personal life.
  • Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy Posts: 1,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ugh. Not again.
  • Options
    thewaywardbusthewaywardbus Posts: 2,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure I can think of a more influential male pop artist so yes. Before anyone mentions Elvis, he was the king of rock and roll.
  • Options
    dodradedodrade Posts: 23,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was just a nickname his management took way too seriously.
  • Options
    Tombo60Tombo60 Posts: 1,271
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is true, he is a great musician. His music is definitely pop.
  • Options
    newplanetnewplanet Posts: 398
    Forum Member
    jra wrote: »
    This is the music forum. Please stop trying to stir up trouble. Keep it to GD or maybe Showbiz. This is a critique about his music, not his personal life.

But threads which are *supposed* to critique his music inevitably turn into arguments about something which has nothing to do with his music. His music *and* his personal life have been discussed and critiqued ad nauseum on this forum. Hasn't everything which needs to be said already been said?
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,274
    Forum Member
    Yep.

Jackson was a peado
    Jackson wasnt that great
    Jackson was overrated

And bla bla bla

Fingers crossed that won't happen. This is the music forum. For people with enough brain cells differentiate the man from the music. Hopefully.
  • Options
    Forum Member

First off dont accuse me of stiring trouble on here, maybe you should look up past threads about jackson in the music forum here were threads get hijacked, hence my comments.
  • Options
    Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He wasn't the king of R&B, soul and funk either. Not by a long shot. Compared with the jazz funk and R&B music I listen to, his music was just pop. Most of it nothing special.

I agree with you. Much of The Jacksons output was r&b/soul, especially after they dropped the 5 off of their name, but very little of his solo material was anything other than absolute pop. Personally, I think he was the most overhyped artist of all time but that's just imho.

Solo Jackson wise, my favourite song is definitely Jermaine with Lets Get Serious :)
  • Options
    mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dodrade wrote: »
    It was just a nickname his management took way too seriously.

exactly...it was a marketing ploy aimed at boosting the stars image (regardless of who said it first)in order to boost his credibility.

theres no such title, its meaningless, if anybody should get that title its paul mccartney because he (along with john) has done more for pop music then anyone.
    Tombo60 wrote: »
    It is true, he is a great musician. .

was he?... thought he was a singer, who danced...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Blondie X wrote: »
    I agree with you. Much of The Jacksons output was r&b/soul, especially after they dropped the 5 off of their name, but very little of his solo material was anything other than absolute pop. Personally, I think he was the most overhyped artist of all time but that's just imho.

... and this meaningless tag 'king of pop' proves it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    And here we go!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 248
    Forum Member
    Short answer..........Yes
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And here we go!

...all replies were on topic :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    And here we go!
    First off dont accuse me of stiring trouble on here, maybe you should look up past threads about jackson in the music forum here were threads get hijacked, hence my comments.

You're doing precisely the same thing I am accusing you of. Have you got anything to say about MJs music, i.e. keep it on topic?
    Blondie X wrote: »

Solo Jackson wise, my favourite song is definitely Jermaine with Lets Get Serious :-)

Michael did some classics of course and certainly sold enough copies of his music, so obviously lots of people like his music. He doesn't float my boat though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Jackson_albums_discography
  • Options
    Sweet FASweet FA Posts: 10,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes it is. And y'all can debate it 'til the cows come home, the title will always belong to him, made up or not...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    You're doing precisely the same thing I am accusing you of. Have you got anything to say about MJs music, i.e. keep it on topic

So who made you moderator????

Sweet FA wrote: »
    Yes it is. And y'all can debate it 'til the cows come home, the title will always belong to him, made up or not...

This excatly.

The beatles have got a tag line in history
    Madonna has a tag line in history
    Elvis has a tag line in history
    Backstreet boys same thing
    Spice girls same thing
    Nirvana same thing
    Abba same thing
    Beegee's same thing

Loads of tags go around that stick and are written in musical history and jackson will always be known as the king of pop no matter how many people say hes not or he is. Its in the history books and when people say who was the king of pop people will naturally reply michael jackson. Unless you hated the person not e musician.

Now was that on topic;-)
  • Options
    TreyCTreyC Posts: 707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, yes it is.
  • Options
    Tombo60Tombo60 Posts: 1,271
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

was he?... thought he was a singer, who danced...

He is a musician, he made music.
  • Options
    TheshaneTheshane Posts: 1,815
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    More like the Lion King (because lions are the King of Beasts)

It was a self proclaimed title. If it was a title that had filtered through via fans or press then it would be something. Or a nickname that caught on like 'The Boss'
    But to turn around and proclaim himself 'King of Pop', around about the time he had to prop up his History album with a greatest hits disc, is bullshit.

If I call myself the King of Drinking Guinness it doesn't make it so.
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,633
    Forum Member
    King? No. Clown Prince (with that face)? Maybe.