Hair

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,990
Forum Member
✭✭✭
On an average day, I lose around 1-2 handfulls of hair, I do not have any bald patches, but is it normal for this much hair to come out?

Comments

• Mumof3Mumof3 Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds a little unusual. Were you very stressed 6-8 weeks ago?
  • Frankie_LittleFrankie_Little Posts: 9,271
    Forum Member
    Is your hair coloured or permed?

If not, it could be a vitamin deficiency. You mentioned elsewhere you're not eating much these days.
  • Mumof3Mumof3 Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anaemia or thyroid issues could be a possibility. If it's to an unusual degree (ie. loose hair on your pillow in the morning, or in unusual quantities in your bath or shower) you should see your doctor.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This has been going on for a number of years, I used to have really long hair and I was sick of it coming out all the time so I cut it short and that stopped it for a while. My hair is shoulder length now and is coming out at the rate of a handful a day. I do not brush my hair often as it gets static but surely its a lot of hair? I can't understand why I do not have bald patches.
  • StarpussStarpuss Posts: 12,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have very thick, wiry hair and it comes out in handfuls too. When I used to go to hairdressers they would always comment on it but as this has happened all my life and I still have masses of hair then I suppose it's ok
  • JackKlugmanJackKlugman Posts: 5,362
    Forum Member
    Its probably something to do with your laptop. It might be giving off Gamma radiation when it overheats
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its probably something to do with your laptop. It might be giving off Gamma radiation when it overheats

I have only had a laptop for a little over a year. :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Starpuss wrote: »
    I have very thick, wiry hair and it comes out in handfuls too. When I used to go to hairdressers they would always comment on it but as this has happened all my life and I still have masses of hair then I suppose it's ok

My hair is fine and wavy but there is a fair amount of it. I guess I will have to cut it again if is starts to bother me too much.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Many thanks for all your replies :)
  • JackKlugmanJackKlugman Posts: 5,362
    Forum Member
    FANNY_ANNE wrote: »
    I have only had a laptop for a little over a year. :p

Damn thought I was being clever :(
  • bhappyluvbhappyluv Posts: 408
    Forum Member
    You lose alot of hair each day naturally, think its around 100 hairs. If you don't brush your hair frequently and have long hair then it's going to seem like you're losing alot when you do brush it.
  • lea_uklea_uk Posts: 9,648
    Forum Member
    bhappyluv wrote: »
    You lose alot of hair each day naturally, think its around 100 hairs. If you don't brush your hair frequently and have long hair then it's going to seem like you're losing alot when you do brush it.

Good point.
  • burton07burton07 Posts: 10,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe your hair is simply brittle and is breaking off rather than coming out at the roots. Try a better conditioner and watch your diet as this can affect hair condition.
  • Jamie_BradleyJamie_Bradley Posts: 408
    Forum Member
    Your hair hates you an is leaving you! No cure, no hope.
  • dellab49dellab49 Posts: 295
    Forum Member
    When your hair was coming out what was your diet, was it anything different to previously ?
  • killjoykilljoy Posts: 7,920
    Forum Member
    Have you started using pain killers, some of those can cause hair loss.

My wife took some for a bad back and ever morning the pillow was covered with hair, it almost looked like she had alopecia.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    burton07 wrote: »
    Maybe your hair is simply brittle and is breaking off rather than coming out at the roots. Try a better conditioner and watch your diet as this can affect hair condition.

No, it is not brittle and most of the hairs have the little folicle thing at the end. I do not have split ends and have not done so for over 20 years after perming went out of fashion :o:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    killjoy wrote: »
    Have you started using pain killers, some of those can cause hair loss.

My wife took some for a bad back and ever morning the pillow was covered with hair, it almost looked like she had alopecia.

I did use a lot of pain killers last oct - dec 2013, due to knee ligamament damage, but otherwise I only use pain killers for period pain and then the minimum I can get away with.
    I have not had much hair on my pillow but I do tie my hair up at night.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dellab49 wrote: »
    When your hair was coming out what was your diet, was it anything different to previously ?

I hasn't been that good for the last 5 weeks or so, but before that it was better. But the hair loss since my hair is longer (5 months) is the same as it used to be when it was half way done my backa few years ago. Maybe it is just something I have to deal with if I want my hair longer?
  • HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Could be an endocrine thing too, but if you had something like PCOS (that messes with your hormones so you can do random stuff like lose hair), that can trigger it. And sometimes a change in diet can trigger that... Some info about hair loss to do with hormonal stuff, here. I have long hair and frightening amounts come out when I brush it yet I never appear to get balder, either.
  • WolfsheadishWolfsheadish Posts: 10,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bhappyluv wrote: »

This.

Also, cutting your hair won't affect it falling out. Hair only does two things, it grows and it falls out. Hair's dead at the point it leaves your scalp. It grows and then dies and sits in the follicle until it either falls out or is brushed out. That's why you seem to lose more if you brush it a lot. If you never brushed or combed your hair it would just sit there until it fell out naturally.

I'm not sure if that helps but I'd echo what others have said, hair health is more to do with what you put into your body than what you put on your hair.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This.

Also, cutting your hair won't affect it falling out. Hair only does two things, it grows and it falls out. Hair's dead at the point it leaves your scalp. It grows and then dies and sits in the follicle until it either falls out or is brushed out. That's why you seem to lose more if you brush it a lot. If you never brushed or combed your hair it would just sit there until it fell out naturally.

I'm not sure if that helps but I'd echo what others have said, hair health is more to do with what you put into your body than what you put on your hair.

I think tht my health is ok as apart from this my hair is in good condition. My nails are also good and are growing long quickly at the moment.
    Many thanks for your reply.
  • WolfsheadishWolfsheadish Posts: 10,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You're welcome :)
  • Poppy99_PoppyPoppy99_Poppy Posts: 2,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe take a course of brewers yeast tablets? Twice a year I seem to shed more hair than usual. Having regular trims seems to help.
  • TWSTWS Posts: 9,307
    Forum Member
    I seem to lose handfuls of the stuff, I always think I should be bald or am developing alopecia or something but it hasn't happened yet, I shed worse than most dogs:D