Options

Hair....advice

hey everyone i have thisss problem,im obsessed with my hair,it gets greasy very quickly and so i wash it everyday bug i cant stop straightening it either,i straighten it once a day everyday but im so scared my hair is going to fall out,is there anything i can put on my hair to protect it im currently using tresemme heat protection spray...will this be okay? helpp:cry:

Comments

• Options
    GoldilocksGoldilocks Posts: 7,349
    Forum Member
    hey everyone i have thisss problem,im obsessed with my hair,it gets greasy very quickly and so i wash it everyday bug i cant stop straightening it either,i straighten it once a day everyday but im so scared my hair is going to fall out,is there anything i can put on my hair to protect it im currently using tresemme heat protection spray...will this be okay? helpp:cry:

You should use a protecting spray on your hair before using a straightner. About 2 years ago I went through a phase of using a straightner on my hair every single day and ended up destroying my hair. It took ages and lots of TLC to get it back into any kind of condition.
    Re: the greasy problem, maybe you are just prone to having greasy hair and if so you should use a proper shampoo. Try not to touch your hair a lot during the day as this makes it geasier too. Maybe if you tied it up it wouldn't get as dirty as quickly, you wouldn't need to use the straightner on it every day either.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I get alot of split ends,i just wish i liked my hair wavy,it gets sooo ugly looking,it doesnt get really greasy but Say i wash my hair before i goto bed onn a night half way thru the next day it looks flat and dirty again :( shud i stop straightenin my hair so much?
  • Options
    comedyfishcomedyfish Posts: 21,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ok my OH would kill me for posting this but she will never know so here goes -

about twice a year she gets her hair straightened and it looks amazing - lasts ages and as soon as she washes it and dries it, it looks like she has stepped out of the salon.

That might be your answer - it costs about 250 -300 quid and I know you can get it done in taylor taylor and atherton cox - both salons in London.

maybe try that!

atherton & cox

I have my hair cut here sometimes - it's the one used for how to look good naked

taylor talyor

this is a nice place - get free beer and cocktails etc - near liverpool st
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I get alot of split ends,i just wish i liked my hair wavy,it gets sooo ugly looking,it doesnt get really greasy but Say i wash my hair before i goto bed onn a night half way thru the next day it looks flat and dirty again :( shud i stop straightenin my hair so much?

Yes you should stop straightening your hair so much.
    Go to your hairdressers and get the split ends cut off that will make it look better and be easier to style yourself without having to use the straightener.
    If you really want your hair to be dead straight get your hairdresser to dry it for you as they can do a great job without using a straightner. I also find that you get much longer out of your hair this way i.e. it seems to stay clean for longer.

How is your skin overall as a matter of interest? Perhaps you are secreting too much oil and so as it comes through your scalp its making your hair dirty very quickly.
  • Options
    RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can you not get away with tying your hair up every other day? Initially carry on washing it every day and straightening every other day and eventually cut back to washing every other day and straightening every third day!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i have really good skin,hardly ever get spots,just now and again i dont wear makeup so i think that helps..does heat protection spray help or is it pointless using it?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah i could tye my hair bk every other day i guess when i wash my hair everyday i wont straighten it unless i wear it down?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also when you have time, let your hair dry naturally
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with what everyone else has said. Let your hair dry naturally when possible and try to lay off the straighteners. My hair was in wonderful condition before I started lightening, straightening and blow-drying it all the time, now it's dry and horrible.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    yeah my hair is really dry too and its thinned out alot i used to have really thick hair which i miss
  • Options
    Forum Member
    yeah my hair is really dry too and its thinned out alot i used to have really thick hair which i miss

How on earth can your hair be both dry and greasy? The ends if they are split I can understand but your hair type is one or the other.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its greasy at the top and really dry and split at the ends :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Its greasy at the top and really dry and split at the ends :(

Then get the ends cut off its the only way to make that problem go away. Then take the advice thats been offered and see what happens.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i will,thankyou everyone!! :)
  • Options
    Ella NutElla Nut Posts: 9,025
    Forum Member
    Well, I straighten every day (GHDs) I have half-head highlights but I'm lucky that my hair is light brown/fair and I have a lot of natural highlights.

I spray my damp hair generously with Lee Stafford stuff, before I blow dry. It's lovely. I use an intensive treatment once a week (no certain type, whatever takes my fancy). I did think my hair was getting thinner at one point earlier this year but I think hair just goes through phases - could be related to stress, illness, maybe even the time of year, I dunno!

I am nearly 40 and my hairdresser says I have lovely hair. Regular trims are an absolute must so if you havent had a cut for a while make sure you go - you will definitely see an improvement.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 137
    Forum Member
    My sister was told by her hairdresser that washing your hair daily actually makes hair greasier because it makes your scalp produce more grease, while the rest of your hair such as the ends becomes dry. So I would resist the temptation to wash your hair every day, and maybe your hair will become less greasy. Hard cycle to break since you think that washing your hair daily will reduce it's greasiness but at the same time it makes your hair get greasier faster so you feel that you need to wash it more :confused:
  • Options
    Ella NutElla Nut Posts: 9,025
    Forum Member
    flowergirl - can I also recommend if you live in a town/city with a Lush shop that you try the coconut bar shampoo and American Cream conditioner. Both transformed my hair in the summer when it was a bit frazzled.
  • Options
    emjemj Posts: 6,737
    Forum Member
    I feel for you flowergirlxo - my hair is crap, to be quite honest. It has no body whatsoever, and I have loads of split ends at the moment that are puzzling my hairdresser. It gets greasy every other day too. I just want to chop it off and command it to grow back thick and lovely!

Try conditioner on the ends of the hair to soften them - might help. I think it also helps, when towel-drying your hair, to do it gently. That's probably half my problem when it comes to my split ends, I think - I tug my hair to withdraw the water from the ends. Hope it improves! I know how it feels!

I don't mean to hijack with this question, but does anybody have any tips on how to possibly add more volume to hair?