Options

Help needed

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,362
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Im thinking about getting freesat for my bedroom, we already have sky but i dont really want multiroom.
Would i have to get someone to install a freesat box for me, or is it possible to do it youself?
Also does it just 'plug in' to your sky dish?
And which is the best box to buy? i dont want hd or a recordable box, just a standard, easy to use one.

Thank you.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,207
    Forum Member
    If your 'Sky' dish's LNB has a multi-LNB then you need to take a coax from one of the connectors into your bedroom, connect it to the Freesat box and Bob's etc.

If the dish only had one LNB connector then the LNB will need to be changed for a quad. (Cheap as chips on a famous auction site ands easy to install if you can get at the dish.

I have only seen SD boxes from Alba so no matter what the badge on them, they are all the same box. I'd buy whichever is cheapest.
  • Options
    ProDaveProDave Posts: 11,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why not just buy a second hand sky box and use that without a viewing card? It will give you more channels than a freesat box, and even 4 more channels if you buy a freesat from sky card.

Apart from being dead cheap on ebay, you will have the familliarity since you already use a sky box.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ProDave wrote: »
    Why not just buy a second hand sky box and use that without a viewing card? It will give you more channels than a freesat box, and even 4 more channels if you buy a freesat from sky card.

Apart from being dead cheap on ebay, you will have the familliarity since you already use a sky box.

Do you work for SKY by any chance, this is the second thread I've read on the FREESAT forum, where the posters have asked for advice on FREESAT boxes and you have recommended a SKY box :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If your 'Sky' dish's LNB has a multi-LNB then you need to take a coax from one of the connectors into your bedroom, connect it to the Freesat box and Bob's etc.

If the dish only had one LNB connector then the LNB will need to be changed for a quad. (Cheap as chips on a famous auction site ands easy to install if you can get at the dish.

I have only seen SD boxes from Alba so no matter what the badge on them, they are all the same box. I'd buy whichever is cheapest.

I think the sky dish has a multi LNB as we have multi room in my brothers bedroom. But as i dont watch much tv i dont want to be paying for a multiroom subscription - even though its only £10 a month, id rather have free sat, or free view. I think my dad will know about the LNB thing.

Thankyou
  • Options
    ProDaveProDave Posts: 11,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do you work for SKY by any chance, this is the second thread I've read on the FREESAT forum, where the posters have asked for advice on FREESAT boxes and you have recommended a SKY box :confused:

I don't work for sky, and even if I did, why would sugesting someone buys a second hand sky box and uses it without a sky contract in any way benefit sky?

I was merely pointing out an alternative, probably cheaper option.

It used to be that DS had one forum where all types of "freesat" were discussed together. Now the "freesat" forum is only supposed to discuss "non sky" freesat, and "sky freesat" is supposed to be discussed in the sky forum.

I think that makes people miss out on all the available options they have. After all, "sky freesat" has been available for many many years, but people have overlooked it because they didn't know about it. It would be a shame if people continued to overlook a different option simply because they continued to not know about it, as anyone considering "freesat" is unlikely to make the "sky" forum their first port of call.

My point is illustrated by the fact that the OP didn't want "multiroom" which implies that he thought the ONLY way of having a second sky box was to get it installed by sky, and pay them an additional monthly subscription for it. I was just trying to point out to him that was not the case, and he could have a second sky box just for the free channels without having to pay sky a penny.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,179
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ukool wrote: »
    Im thinking about getting freesat for my bedroom, we already have sky but i dont really want multiroom.
    Would i have to get someone to install a freesat box for me, or is it possible to do it youself?
    Also does it just 'plug in' to your sky dish?
    And which is the best box to buy? i dont want hd or a recordable box, just a standard, easy to use one.

Thank you.

A cheaper alternative to buying a new box, be it a secondhand SKY Digibox, Freesat box or a Freview box would be to connect your bedroom TV to the RF 2 out on one of the existing digiboxes and buy a TV link unit and second remote, then aslong as no one else is using the other box you will have complete control over the box.

Is your bedroom TV HD Ready or not as that would help insuggesting a Fresat box that would suit you best?

Roland
  • Options
    arteseaartesea Posts: 346
    Forum Member
    ProDave wrote: »

Argos have an Alba SD box for £40 at the moment with a warranty. Where as an old sky box off eBay might not even work when it arrives.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rolandh wrote: »
    A cheaper alternative to buying a new box, be it a secondhand SKY Digibox, Freesat box or a Freview box would be to connect your bedroom TV to the RF 2 out on one of the existing digiboxes and buy a TV link unit and second remote, then aslong as no one else is using the other box you will have complete control over the box.

Is your bedroom TV HD Ready or not as that would help insuggesting a Fresat box that would suit you best?

Roland

No my tv isnt HD ready

Im sure thiers a spare freeview box in the house some where, and from your post im guessing i could just one of those tv link wire things, and plug it in to a sky box and in to a freeview box, to get sky?

i like the sound of that, might have to look in to it.
  • Options
    bmillambmillam Posts: 6,065
    Forum Member
    ukool wrote: »
    No my tv isnt HD ready

Im sure thiers a spare freeview box in the house some where, and from your post im guessing i could just one of those tv link wire things, and plug it in to a sky box and in to a freeview box, to get sky?

i like the sound of that, might have to look in to it.

FreeVIEW is not FreeSAT two different things :eek::eek::eek:
    Freeview comes down from a TV aerial
    Freesat requires a SAT Dish .
    don't get mixed up with FreeView.
    You can feed from an aerial to numerous FreeVIEW boxes:cool:
    Freesat requires a feed from a Satellite dish LNB, to each FreeSAT box.:cool::cool: ( coax cable)
    From your first post as posted earlier you will need additional output from the LNB. which could require you to get a new LNB.
    A TV link would allow you to watch whatever is selected on your sky box it is connected to, to be watched on another TV. It does not feed into another sky box but strait into your tv. :eek::eek:

PODAVE is right a second hand sky digibox without a card works just fine for FreeSAT