Was there ever a soap reality show?

Blackadder VBlackadder V Posts: 2,283
Forum Member
✭✭✭
My girlfriend swears she watched a reality show in about 2001/2002 where contestants auditioned and competed to get a role on a soap which she believes was Emmerdale although she wasn't sure 100%.

It was on ITV.

There is no record of this show on the net it seems and it isn't on Wiki's list of reality tv programs.

Does anyone remember it, did it happen?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,506
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You've got me wondering now. I'm sure I remember one too. I'll have a look.
  • lazyjanelazyjane Posts: 1,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • NostalgicNostalgic Posts: 7,156
    Forum Member
    I remember it well. It was presented by Carol Vorderman. I don't remember really anything of that family after their first episode :L
    Hear'Say were discovered by Popstars
    Also quite ironic in that second article that two members of Hear'Say ended up in Emmerdale and Corrie :p
  • Blackadder VBlackadder V Posts: 2,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the clarification lazyjane. There is hardly any recollection of it on the net, it must have been BAD!
  • Rikki65Rikki65 Posts: 8,449
    Forum Member
    My girlfriend swears she watched a reality show in about 2001/2002 where contestants auditioned and competed to get a role on a soap which she believes was Emmerdale although she wasn't sure 100%.

It was on ITV.

There is no record of this show on the net it seems and it isn't on Wiki's list of reality tv programs.

Does anyone remember it, did it happen?

Your girlfriend is correct. I watched it. I remember the mum was particularly good but they soon got dropped. There's not been one since.

Edit: Ooops, sorry I replied before reading the other posts.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    lazyjane wrote: »
    It was called Soapstars, they didn't last too long.

Never really watched but I've heard of it. I think it was pretty bad. I'm not surprised it didn't last long.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,397
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always got the Soapstars family mixed up with another family who were in Emmerdale at the time - they had three kids, one of whom had a baby secretly when she was 13 and it turned out her older sister's boyfriend was the father.

Can't remember any of their names, except the baby who I think they named Geri (it was the time of the Spice Girls).
  • TipptopTipptop Posts: 991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember the show and it was the judges that really messed it by picking the wrong people who eventually got through to the Emmerdale show. The best actors with the most presence lost out in the final stages.