Options

The Guardian - RTD Interview

tiger2000tiger2000 Posts: 8,541
Forum Member
The Doctor Who screenwriter has been in LA working on a new-look Torchwood – with a revolutionary funding model.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2011/jun/26/interview-russell-t-davies

Comments

• Options
    MulettMulett Posts: 9,057
    Forum Member
    Its a great interview. Very interesting. It would be very very cool in Torchwood becomes the new True Blood or Dexter, in terms of success, with its new funding arranagements.
  • Options
    tingramretrotingramretro Posts: 10,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tiger2000 wrote: »

Meh. Just an excuse for Davies to foist his own politics on us and attack the coalition Government. Unless he has some miraculous way of dragging the country out of the shit without making spending cuts anywhere, I'd suggest he sticks to making crap TV and keeps his opinions to himself.
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd suggest he sticks to making crap TV and keeps his opinions to himself.

So you won't be watching Torchwood then. At all. Funny, because I thought that you were making a song and dance about not having to wait behind the US to see it ........
  • Options
    Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
    Forum Member
    "The very interesting thing will be, what if it does well on Starz but doesn't do well on BBC1? Or if the BBC1 money is tight and they have to take money away – does it become entirely a Starz production, which means they have to own the rights? Would the BBC do that? Would they actually give away rights to an existing property?"

I suspect the result Davies is dreading is if "Torchwood:Miracle Day" doesn't do well with US
    audiences, since the bulk of the funding is coming from Starz (and it's his first attempt to break
    into US TV).
  • Options
    johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    Meh. Just an excuse for Davies to foist his own politics on us and attack the coalition Government.
    Which is perfectly entitled to do. It's an interview. People who conduct interviews are looking for personal opinions.

Are you suggesting that no-one other than the Prime Minister be allowed to have opinions? That unless you have all the answers, you're not allowed to ask the questions?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Which is perfectly entitled to do. It's an interview. People who conduct interviews are looking for personal opinions.

Are you suggesting that no-one other than the Prime Minister be allowed to have opinions? That unless you have all the answers, you're not allowed to ask the questions?

He wasn't asking questions, just demonizing the Tories for being Tories, from what I could see. Hardly constructive.
  • Options
    nebogipfelnebogipfel Posts: 8,375
    Forum Member
    He wasn't asking questions, just demonizing the Tories for being Tories, from what I could see. Hardly constructive.

His criticism was very much less scatter gun than that. It was his belief that the Government used the current economic situation as a smoke screen to take the BBC down a peg or two, saddle them with financial responsibilities not held before and cut their budget (not because it was essential for the wider economy, but because it suits the government to show the BBC who's boss). It's a fairly mainstream opinion. But he does think they're frightening, which is a bit sweeping but sincerely held opinion. (edit)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nebogipfel wrote: »
    His criticism was very much less scatter gun than that. It was his belief that the Government used the current economic situation as a smoke screen to take the BBC down a peg or two, saddle them with financial responsibilities not held before and cut their budget (not because it was essential for the wider economy, but because it suits the government to show the BBC who's boss). It's a fairly mainstream opinion. But he does think they're evil. it's true.

Unfortunatly the goverment seem to be doing this alot at the mo. This Economic crisis we are apprantly in is a good excuse to cut and cull alot of jobs and services look at the MOD and Frontline services....Not saying only the tories do this but they are quite underhand at doing these things
  • Options
    johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    Exactly. Something completely relevant to his work. He is entirely justified in talking about it in an interview about his work.
  • Options
    WelshNigeWelshNige Posts: 4,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The cuts that he talks about have a huge impact on the funding of shows like Torchwood so of course he is right to vent his opinions.

Seems to me the usual suspect(s) peddling their usual anti RTD agenda as far as this thread is concerned....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dr Ginge wrote: »
    Unfortunatly the goverment seem to be doing this alot at the mo. This Economic crisis we are apprantly in is a good excuse to cut and cull alot of jobs and services look at the MOD and Frontline services....Not saying only the tories do this but they are quite underhand at doing these things

Not underhand at all. When they got in, they said cuts would be needed. And they are, so they're making them. You can't spend money you don't have. That's what this country has been doing for years now, which is why we're in the state we're in.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not underhand at all. When they got in, they said cuts would be needed. And they are, so they're making them. You can't spend money you don't have. That's what this country has been doing for years now, which is why we're in the state we're in.

I understand cust needed to be made BUT why cut MOD funding when we are fighting 4 wars at the mo? Also all these banks we bailed out that have posted huge profits i dont see them going after them for that bailout money back.

I know we have spent and spent but i do thisnk some of the cuts are ways to get longstanding things like Civil worker pensions stopped
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    C'mon guys, this is the Doctor Who forum, not Politics. The Politics Forum is down the corridor and fourth door on the left. :)

The Guardian extract is composed of much more than that.
  • Options
    WelshNigeWelshNige Posts: 4,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The financial crisis was not confined to the UK, it was a global event, caused mainly by the poor operations of international banks.

Whilst cuts are necessary, too much too soon will almost certainly damage our long term recovery.

The point that RTD (and many others) are making is that the Tories are using the deficit to drive through a measure of cuts that they would have applied anyway, only they now have the excuse to push through even more savage cuts at an even quicker pace.

P.S, sorry about the diversion into politics, wrong forum I know....
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In a recent BBC interview RTD also described the government as secretly intelligent and evil. Neither of which is true imo.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dr Ginge wrote: »
    I understand cust needed to be made BUT why cut MOD funding when we are fighting 4 wars at the mo? Also all these banks we bailed out that have posted huge profits i dont see them going after them for that bailout money back.

I know we have spent and spent but i do thisnk some of the cuts are ways to get longstanding things like Civil worker pensions stopped

Quite right, too. Why should the Civil Service continue to ride the gravy train when the rest of us are tied to the tracks in front of it?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WelshNige wrote: »
    Whilst cuts are necessary, too much too soon will almost certainly damage our long term recovery.

As will not cutting quickly enough.

Mind you we have current examples of countries going down the pan due to not cutting quickly enough. Fewer examples the other way round.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ja88ed wrote: »
    In a recent BBC interview RTD also described the government as secretly intelligent and evil.

Which is a remarkably stupid comment. Governments are not 'intelligent' or 'evil' since they are not monolithic independent entities-they are collections of individuals, mostly trying to do what they personally believe to be the right thing. They may be right, they may be wrong, but they are not collectively 'good' or 'evil'. He seems to have a rather naive view of Government, likening it in his own mind to some sort of James Bond villain.
  • Options
    MinkytheDogMinkytheDog Posts: 5,658
    Forum Member
    The vast majority of Civil Servants are ordinary people working in ordinary offices, depots and all of the other "official" places of work that cover everything from pensions to pencils. They are not all getting half a million quid a year and working in Whitehall - they're the people who live in your street and drink in your pub.

You only have to look at any job-search website to see that the Civil Service is a very low paying employer for those "normal" jobs. The people working there could have taken a higher-paying job and paid for their pension out of the extra income. They took the lower salary because the index-linked pension was factored into their lower earnings during their working life.

All that's happened is that successive governments have told the top Civil Servants to reduce their wage bill and then let those same people decide where to make the cuts. The end result has been that the Whitehall elite have stayed and ordinary workers have lost their jobs while we - the public - are left to deal with call-centres.

When talking about "Civil Servants" - be sure you know who and what you are actually referring to. Since the late 1970's, there have been more jobs lost in the Civil Service than there were in mining and steel combined and in some cases, it has had the same effect on entire towns. When you want to talk to a human being about your tax or retirement pension and are left with nothing but 0845 numbers and impenetrable .gov websites - it's because too many people bought into the bigotted image of "Civil Servants" as bowler-hat wearing Times readers who all went to the same colleges at Oxbridge - an image encouraged by governments to stop people from noticing that they were actually just shutting down local services and laying off huge numbers of ordinary, hard-working people. They are now trying to remove a pension that those people paid for by taking below average wages each month.

Incidentally - the Guardian has it's own agenda - it's slightly to the left of Chairman Mao.

Pinch of salt time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    About 4 paragraphs devoted to political comment, the rest (over 20 paragraphs) talking about broadcasting issues and Torchwood.
  • Options
    MulettMulett Posts: 9,057
    Forum Member
    Meh. Just an excuse for Davies to foist his own politics on us and attack the coalition Government. Unless he has some miraculous way of dragging the country out of the shit without making spending cuts anywhere, I'd suggest he sticks to making crap TV and keeps his opinions to himself.

Working within the public sector, I can assure you the cuts go way beyond sorting out the UK's current financial woes (caused, I might remind you, by the banks and not the public sector). This is about the coalition using the financial crisis to deconstruct the public sector , not sort out our financial woes by making reasonable cuts.

Just an opinion. Well done RTD, that's what I think.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 95
    Forum Member
    Mulett wrote: »
    Working within the public sector, I can assure you the cuts go way beyond sorting out the UK's current financial woes (caused, I might remind you, by the banks and not the public sector). This is about the coalition using the financial crisis to deconstruct the public sector , not sort out our financial woes by making reasonable cuts.

I agree with this as well.

but overall this is a good interview about Torchwood, and it will be interesting to see how it does stateside. the last "Series" of torchwood, really raised the bar, will this be able to keep it there
  • Options
    scumcatscumcat Posts: 349
    Forum Member

not constructive but true, they are deamons
  • Options
    Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mulett wrote: »

well said.
  • Options
    Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
    Forum Member
    So, is a co-production with Starz a good idea? I've seen "Camelot" and it was a big
    let-down. :( Not seen their other stuff, although "Spartacus" is fairly popular and I've heard good
    things about "The Pillars of the Earth" and "Party Down".