I think I must be allergic to an ingredient in Simple products?

RetrospectiveRetrospective Posts: 3,133
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I have used Simple light moisturiser for years but this past wee while every time i apply it on my face my eyes start to get watery and stingy and i end up with a headache.
As soon as i wash it all off ironically with simple soap it all calms down.
Simple seem to keep adding more ingredients into their products and am just wondering if there is an ingredient or more than one that i am allergic to?
I first started to use their products back as early as 1981 when there were very little ingredients added.I never had any trouble back then at all so i am taking it bad that i am having trouble with the moisturiser and also their face cleansing wipes are the same with me.I use their shampoo and that seems to be okay with me.
I have a sensitive skin and that is why I use their products.

Comments

• babinabababinaba Posts: 5,442
    Forum Member
    use something else then. there is loads of choice nowadays
  • FanielleFanielle Posts: 1,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd email them and ask them if they've changed any of their ingredients in the two products that are causing you reactions - at least if they have, you know what to look for in other products!

http://www.simple.co.uk/Contact-Simple.aspx
  • RetrospectiveRetrospective Posts: 3,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    babinaba wrote: »
    use something else then. there is loads of choice nowadays

Yes I know. But I am disappointed that I am having trouble with simple as i have used it for a couple of decades.
    Just wondered if anybody else had had any trouble like me?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fanielle wrote: »
    I'd email them and ask them if they've changed any of their ingredients in the two products that are causing you reactions - at least if they have, you know what to look for in other products!

Yes I will thanks.:)
  • FanielleFanielle Posts: 1,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes I know. But I am disappointed that I am having trouble with simple as i have used it for a couple of decades.
    Just wondered if anybody else had had any trouble like me?

I've used Simple on and off since I was a teenager and I definitely think they're not as simple as they used to be but I've not had any adverse reactions
  • NormandieNormandie Posts: 4,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is possible to build up a sensitivity to a product - or specific ingredients - over time so something that is fine for years suddenly starts provoking a reaction. The reaction will then often get worse on each subsequent exposure.

This happened to me with Boots lip salve sticks. Used them for years and then, with no obvious reformulation, the top layer of skin on my lips started to flake off! I now use Neutrogena, Labello, etc.
  • BK.BK. Posts: 1,483
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used three different Simple moisturisers about two years ago because I have sensitive but acne prone skin - all three broke me out! Never again.
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    not overly simple is it? the list of chemical ingredients is massive.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with Annette Kurten - they're really not very simple. The face wipes really burn my face and give me sore eyes too. I use A'Kin products, they're a bit more natural. Most of the stuff in the shops for 'sensitive skin' really isn't at all.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fanielle wrote: »

I did email them last night and sent it off but just after i had done so I remembered latter last year that I had already emailed them through their website and I never had a reply from them. Still no harm in trying again.
    Normandie wrote: »
    It is possible to build up a sensitivity to a product - or specific ingredients - over time so something that is fine for years suddenly starts provoking a reaction. The reaction will then often get worse on each subsequent exposure.

This happened to me with Boots lip salve sticks. Used them for years and then, with no obvious reformulation, the top layer of skin on my lips started to flake off! I now use Neutrogena, Labello, etc.

Yes I would agree with you there. Before I tried Simple back in 1981 just when Simple products first came out on to the market I was using Oil of Ulay. I had used it for quite a few years then developed a slight reaction to it. Little red itchy patches on my chin and my face started to feel nippy.
    Mum also used it and she was fine but I remember one day during her lunch break from work she popped into a store in town and saw these little boxes of Simple with wee trial bottles inside. A cleanser, toner and moisturiser. so she bought one of them and brought it home for me to try.Loved it and with using these products my skin improved and just stuck to using these things for years but mostly it was just the moisturiser I ended up using.
    BK. wrote: »
    I used three different Simple moisturisers about two years ago because I have sensitive but acne prone skin - all three broke me out! Never again.

My elderly mother bought one of Simple's heavier moisturisers and it brought her out in a lot of spots. Her skin has got sensitive as she has got older and thought she would try their heavier moisturiser but she says never again though like me she uses their bar soap in the shower and that is fine.
    not overly simple is it? the list of chemical ingredients is massive.

Yes there are so many chemical ingrediants included now. When I think back to when I first used simple products in their white bottles with a brown lid and the very minium of ingrediants were included.
    One of my daughters looked at the list of ingrediants listed on my bottle of moisturiser and she said that the only difference with Simple was that it wasn't coloured and didn't have any fragnance added. Other than that they used the very same ingrediants as any other makes of skin care.
    I guess Simple are bringing all these products out boasting on the boxes how many ingrediants are included because they are in it to make money. Shame because they have lost what Simple products used to be about.
    Loubogroll wrote: »
    I agree with Annette Kurten - they're really not very simple. The face wipes really burn my face and give me sore eyes too. I use A'Kin products, they're a bit more natural. Most of the stuff in the shops for 'sensitive skin' really isn't at all.

Yes the face wipes burn my skin as well and give me sore eyes no matter how careful I am not to put either the face wipes or the moisturiser near my eyes it still doesn't help.
    Sadly it is time I moved on and looked for another skin product.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I find Simple OK most of the time but can find it stings my eyes sometimes especially if they are sore from hayfever.

Have you tried E45 products as they are very good and very mild. Boots carry the range.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have you tried products from Lush OP? They contain no/minimum chemicals so might be good for your skin type? I know plenty of people who swear by their stuff.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find Simple OK most of the time but can find it stings my eyes sometimes especially if they are sore from hayfever.

Have you tried E45 products as they are very good and very mild. Boots carry the range.

I haven't tried E45 because it contains lanolin and i have read that that is an known irritant.
    Have you tried products from Lush OP? They contain no/minimum chemicals so might be good for your skin type? I know plenty of people who swear by their stuff.

No I haven't tried any of Lush products but have been into their shop in our shopping centre and what puts me off in there is the highly scented smell that seems to surround their products. One of my two daughters can't go into Lush because it goes for her sinusus.
  • Abbasolutely 40Abbasolutely 40 Posts: 15,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Normandie wrote: »

So true , I took Nurofen all my adult life and one fine day aged 54 I took it and I had a massive anaphylaxis , came out in huge weals and swelled up and couldnt breathe needing intubation and ventilation .
  • cymrugirlcymrugirl Posts: 3,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't tried E45 because it contains lanolin and i have read that that is an known irritant.

No I haven't tried any of Lush products but have been into their shop in our shopping centre and what puts me off in there is the highly scented smell that seems to surround their products. One of my two daughters can't go into Lush because it goes for her sinusus.

What about cetaphil? I don't think their moisturiser contains lanolin.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member

I never go into that shop because of the smell of it. I'd need to wear a gas mask in there :eek:
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    just walking past lush is enough to trigger an allergy.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,363
    Forum Member
    I never go into that shop because of the smell of it. I'd need to wear a gas mask in there :eek:

I love walking past Lush but don't often go into the shop because the products are expensive.
    Walking past Subway makes me wretch because of the salsa sauce smell . .
    I find the Simple products quite oily or greasy which is not good for my skin type..
  • JustMomJustMom Posts: 1,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have used Simple light moisturiser for years but this past wee while every time i apply it on my face my eyes start to get watery and stingy and i end up with a headache.
    As soon as i wash it all off ironically with simple soap it all calms down.
    Simple seem to keep adding more ingredients into their products and am just wondering if there is an ingredient or more than one that i am allergic to?
    I first started to use their products back as early as 1981 when there were very little ingredients added.I never had any trouble back then at all so i am taking it bad that i am having trouble with the moisturiser and also their face cleansing wipes are the same with me.I use their shampoo and that seems to be okay with me.
    I have a sensitive skin and that is why I use their products.

My daughter had the exact same reaction after they started adding stuff.
  • Smokeychan1Smokeychan1 Posts: 12,140
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have you tried the Boot's Expert Range? They have a 3 for 2 offer on at the moment, but the moisturiser is dirt cheap anyway.

I haven't tried the face cream (I use Aldi), but when they brought the range out, I got a lot of samples in a tin as a freebie and they were all very good. Sadly, it looks as if only the hand cream and moisturiser survived.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JustMom wrote: »
    My daughter had the exact same reaction after they started adding stuff.

Just looking round Simple website and found this. mind I didn't realise that simple had been around for so long as it was the early eighties that I first heard of it.
    But looking at the old simple I would love to see a list of the ingrediants they put into their products back then and compare it with what is in simple today.
    My daughter says all these preservatives they have added is to keep the moisturiser from going off. But surely if that was the case then what about before when they didn't have all these fancy ingrediants added?

http://www.simple.co.uk/Simple-Story/timeline.aspx
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have you tried the Boot's Expert Range? They have a 3 for 2 offer on at the moment, but the moisturiser is dirt cheap anyway.

I haven't tried the face cream (I use Aldi), but when they brought the range out, I got a lot of samples in a tin as a freebie and they were all very good. Sadly, it looks as if only the hand cream and moisturiser survived.

No i haven't tried the Boots Expert Range will but will look at it next time I'm in their store. thanks.:)
  • jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was referred to a dermatologist about a year ago, for eczema. He told me to stop using soap, and I expected him to then say I should use Simple soap. Instead he told me to use Diprobase instead of soap, and then to use it all over my skin after a bath, to keep it moisturised.

It certainly works - though getting my doctor's surgery to prescribe two tubs a month is a problem.