Options

Coronation Street: A Moving Story

Comments

• Options
    eye3eye3 Posts: 2,551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Indeed.

And Eileen Derbyshire (Emily) stuck to her "no interviews" rule.
    I'm sure she did a Corrie compilation video a few years back and looked very glam
  • Options
    fozzie74fozzie74 Posts: 284
    Forum Member
    2shy2007 wrote: »
    So will the old set be kept for tours now? they wont knock it down will they?

Tours will start later this year, but only for a set period of time only (they originally said 6 months i think) because the land has been sold and yes it's all going to be knocked down and built on by developers. People had hoped the Manchester Science And Industry Museum http://www.mosi.org.uk/ (that is so close next door that you could stand literally behind roys rolls) would buy the street part and include it in their place, but they weren't interested - presumably couldn't be boethered with the financial upkeep it would have took.

(and for those who don't know where mosi is in realtion to the street i found this pic, or look on google maps aerial
    _MG_9336.jpg
    all of the building and outdoor land parallel to the street is part of the museum (so on this pic it's the wobbly roofed building, the train tracks and white roofed building to their left, the bits where cars are etc). Such a shame it couldn't take it over - it may not be the science part but it's certainly part of Manchesters industry!
  • Options
    eviled2010eviled2010 Posts: 23,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would have enjoyed this if it wasn't narrated by Sue Johnston, that horrible beak sticking in Gloria character who has ruined every scene she has been in...imho of course.
    Should have gave the task to Bet Lynch or someone!
  • Options
    Mel94Mel94 Posts: 6,569
    Forum Member
    eviled2010 wrote: »
    I would have enjoyed this if it wasn't narrated by Sue Johnston, that horrible beak sticking in Gloria character who has ruined every scene she has been in...imho of course.

I did keep thinking 'I wonder how Rita is going to feel hearing Gloria's voice again' :blush:
  • Options
    Joy DeanJoy Dean Posts: 21,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Jean Alexander, perhaps?
    (Hilda Ogden)
  • Options
    Irma BuntIrma Bunt Posts: 1,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rhumble wrote: »
    Barnera Knox wondering if she looked small, she didnt realise her ego was taking up the rest of the space

Oh, give it a rest. You're just a bore on the subject now. You don't like Barbara Knox, we get it. Some of us do. Get over it.
  • Options
    Lucy LouLucy Lou Posts: 8,574
    Forum Member
    fozzie74 wrote: »
    Tours will start later this year, but only for a set period of time only (they originally said 6 months i think) because the land has been sold and yes it's all going to be knocked down and built on by developers. People had hoped the Manchester Science And Industry Museum http://www.mosi.org.uk/ (that is so close next door that you could stand literally behind roys rolls) would buy the street part and include it in their place, but they weren't interested - presumably couldn't be boethered with the financial upkeep it would have took.

(and for those who don't know where mosi is in realtion to the street i found this pic, or look on google maps aerial
    _MG_9336.jpg
    all of the building and outdoor land parallel to the street is part of the museum (so on this pic it's the wobbly roofed building, the train tracks and white roofed building to their left, the bits where cars are etc). Such a shame it couldn't take it over - it may not be the science part but it's certainly part of Manchesters industry!

Thanks for the info - I would love to go and walk down the street :)

BIB: It would have been great if the museum had bought it, I actually visited the museum a few years ago and in one room a window looked down on part of the street, it was about the time of Mad-Mia and I could see Sunitas flat burnt out :o I also got a good view of Owens workshop - I was so thrilled :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Lynchpin wrote: »
    I'm going to watch again to see if I can spot Stigid. I sure he was lurking somewhere!

....if you find him let me know ;-)
  • Options
    Irma BuntIrma Bunt Posts: 1,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KMKYWAP wrote: »
    What a monumental waste of money.

It would have cost more to revamp the existing Quay Street site than it cost to move to a state of the art complex. So clearly not a waste, then...
  • Options
    sorrentosorrento Posts: 1,857
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    k9fan wrote: »
    Jean Alexander, perhaps?
    (Hilda Ogden)

I think Jean Alexander would have been an excellent choice...She is one of the Corrie legends and also extremely good at doing narrations..
  • Options
    James2001James2001 Posts: 73,675
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sorrento wrote: »
    I think Jean Alexander would have been an excellent choice...She is one of the Corrie legends and also extremely good at doing narrations..

And overcharging on dodgy goods and being stingy if Last Of The Summer Wine is anything to go by :D
  • Options
    iGeek2014iGeek2014 Posts: 573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lucy Lou wrote: »
    Thanks for the info - I would love to go and walk down the street :)

BIB: It would have been great if the museum had bought it, I actually visited the museum a few years ago and in one room a window looked down on part of the street, it was about the time of Mad-Mia and I could see Sunitas flat burnt out :o I also got a good view of Owens workshop - I was so thrilled :D

When I went to MOSI just under 2 years ago I got to see the back of Underworld and Webster's Autos. Also got a glimpse of Prima Doner through the fence gap and the Victoria Court flats facade.

Couldn't get over how small it was; the new set last night looked epic.

I'm glad investment was made to move the show forward; wonder what kind of angles we will get to see now?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    iGeek2014 wrote: »
    When I went to MOSI just under 2 years ago I got to see the back of Underworld and Webster's Autos. Also got a glimpse of Prima Doner through the fence gap and the Victoria Court flats facade.

Couldn't get over how small it was; the new set last night looked epic.

I'm glad investment was made to move the show forward; wonder what kind of angles we will get to see now?

Yes it is amazing how small it was, I also remember being able to see Sally's conservatory and it looked like a tiny lean-to.

Looking forward to seeing the new set in all its glory :)

EDIT: Its amusing me that we have been stood peering through the same window :D
  • Options
    valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree with those who said it was very petty to ignore Ken and Kevin, Ken was in it right from the beginning along with Dennis, and where was Mavis?
  • Options
    PyramidbreadPyramidbread Posts: 10,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    valkay wrote: »
    I agree with those who said it was very petty to ignore Ken and Kevin, Ken was in it right from the beginning along with Dennis, and where was Mavis?

It wasnt really Corrie's fault, the majority of the programme was shot when they were both undergoing legal issues.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,982
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oldnjaded wrote: »
    20 years since Leanne arrived? :o

No, 17 years since Leanne arrived, but Jane Danson started off in Children's Ward at Granada Studios. :)
    I hated the Battersbys at first. :mad:

We were meant to.
    It is Sue Johnston narrating - I recognised her voice immediately.

How can anyone not? Her voice is one of the most distinctive there is.
    Flukie wrote: »
    I was just thinking, it's handy they have Philip there as someone from the first episode - the only one there at the time of filming - seeing as Bill couldn't do what he always does at times like this!

It is a shame Dennis has been axed. Why?! There's plenty of aimless characters, what's wrong with having one of the genuine originals as one of them?

And he looks wonderful for his age!

Brill post.
    FM Lover wrote: »
    Think I just saw Phelan laying on a pile of rubble on that new site.

Was it the corpse of Corrie, as charred by The Mad Hatter himself?
    Maria has never had a big story in more than 13 years.

Apart from the one she's got coming up, that is.
    why was he touching up Maria ,,are they a couple

Wow, it's really come to something when a bloke can't put his arm around a girl without being mocked for 'touching her up.' What a sad country we have become.
    MsWilder11 wrote: »
    "Well hello, bins"

It was "Vince!!"

The subtitles screwed up

The subtitles were pretty awful.
    FM Lover wrote: »
    Why did Julie say 25 years, wish I could go back and do it all again.

She tried that and didn't last 25 days let alone 25 years.

Obviously she meant the era she was in. It was only twice a week back then, after all.
    Her story finished when Rita said she wasn't going to buy the Rovers. Should have been that.

She was a great barmaid, but there's nothing left for her to come back to. Betty was the last link and she sadly gone.

It could be argued that anyone who knew Bet and is still in Corrie is a (tenuous) link of some sort.
    Sorry Fizz and Kay-eh but you certainly won't be remembered in 50 years.

Bit mean-spirited.
    Glenn A wrote: »
    What a load of crap, if you ask me, it's only a bloody soap moving to a new location. I doubt Hollyoaks getting shifted to Barbados would attract a cent of the attention dear old Corrie gets.
    Could you imagine whar would happen if the soap was cancelled? Mass suicides possibly, it's nearly as bad, but not quite, as the people who discuss Big Brother housemates from 13 years ago.
    Now you understand why a lot of people don't watch much television these days.

You're obviously not a viewer, so why watch something just to kick it down? Says more about you than Corrie, to be honest.
    Cherylee Houston in posh voice.

She had no 'posh voice' - she sounded exactly the same.
    KMKYWAP wrote: »
    If Bill Gates throws a million quid into the sea it's still a waste of money.

Hard to argue with that! :D
    I wouldn't equate the building of a new set to throwing money in the sea. It's created work for lots of people over the last two years, so they've all benefited. Strange idea that spending money on a project to create something for milliions of people to enjoy watching is a waste of money.

Or that! :D

So a voice ruined the whole thing for you? Really?
    Irma Bunt wrote: »
    Oh, give it a rest. You're just a bore on the subject now. You don't like Barbara Knox, we get it. Some of us do. Get over it.

I don't like Barbara Knox either, but even I think certain posters pathological hatred of her is out of order.
  • Options
    Janet PlankJanet Plank Posts: 10,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    valkay wrote: »
    I was very disappointed as well not to see Ken, Kevin, Mavis and Derek. Perhaps the programme was made before the trials finished, but that would not excuse ignoring Mavis and Derek.
    Having said that, I really enjoyed the programme, such wonderful memories.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was very disappointed as well not to see Ken, Kevin, Mavis and Derek. Perhaps the programme was made before the trials finished, but that would not excuse ignoring Mavis and Derek.
    Having said that, I really enjoyed the programme, such wonderful memories.

Derek was a marmite character and Mavis didn't really do much. But that's just my opinion. Corrie has an ENORMOUS history of cast, they couldn't be expected to include everybody that made an impact on the show.
  • Options
    NathanJohnsonNathanJohnson Posts: 2,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seeing Mr. Lowrie last night makes me gutted by his ridiculous axing. He seems to have so much spark and looks great for his age, so stupid they reduced him to just hanging around Rita all the time. They should of introduced some more Tanners, Dennis would make a fun grandfather.
  • Options
    OldnjadedOldnjaded Posts: 89,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Citadel wrote: »
    Bit mean-spirited.

:blush:

Sorry, didn't mean to be. Just that as a long time viewer, I found it a bit hard seeing a programme about 50 years of Corrie history spending so much time focusing on these pretty vacuous youngsters, (who in the case of Katy and Fiz, are either practically invisible or almost universally detested), and who cannot even dream of holding a candle in either the acting or personality stakes, to the core cast of Corrie, who ensured its future all those years ago.

Let's get together in 50 years and I'll say to you, 'remember Katy and Fiz'? I know what your answer will be. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Sorry, didn't mean to be. Just that as a long time viewer, I found it a bit hard seeing a programme about 50 years of Corrie history spending so much time focusing on these pretty vacuous youngsters, (who in the case of Katy and Fiz, are either practically invisible or almost universally detested), and who cannot even dream of holding a candle in either the acting or personality stakes, to the core cast of Corrie, who ensured its future all those years ago.

Let's get together in 50 years and I'll say to you, 'remember Katy and Fiz'? I know what your answer will be. :D

Hand on heart, I probably would remember Fiz but not Katy! :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member

You don't need apologise to anyone on here for having a valid opinion Jaded :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You don't need apologise to anyone on here for having a valid opinion Jaded :)

I'm sure she's well aware of that. She apologised off her own bat, I should point out.
  • Options
    Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm sure I read somewhere on a forum that Barbara Knox was asked for an autograph once and she refused.

That's probably where the hate comes from.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Citadel wrote: »
    I'm sure she's well aware of that. She apologised off her own bat, I should point out.

Ive just read through your MQ and you seem to want an argument with a good percentage of people with your comments,,,,disagreeing with people is one thing, making snide comments which are bound to get FM's backs up is another.