Options

breaking bad

Comments

• Options
    Mrs BBVMrs BBV Posts: 3,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gellymiss wrote: »
    Kevin Spacey is playing a character from South Carolina which is considered to be part of the Deep South, along with Alabama, Georgia, Mississippi and Louisiana, so you are correct. But even the definition of "deep south" is varied, depending on which southern state you are living in. I have family in Arkansas who would swear blind they are part of the deep south, as would some eastern Texans :)

Thank you. :)

He sounds 'deep south' to me but then I suppose anywhere south of Boston probably does. When I wrote it I did wonder if I was technically correct as it is a very long time since I studied American geography. Apart from finding it quite strange to hear him speak in such a southern drawl if you will I love his acting generally and I loved the first four episodes I watched last night. It was also a blessed relief from having to watch Crufts with the dog. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fiagomez wrote: »
    i use subtitles pretty much all the time, especially if i'm watching something american because otherwise i have no idea what they are saying!! :blush:
    not enough diction for me the americans :D ;-)

the killing 1, 2, 3 original (not the american version) and the bridge 1, 2 were on bbc 4 and i thought they were awesome so i thoroughly recommend giving them a go.

i dont have netflix so dont really know how it works and whether you'd be able to watch them on that but you may be able to.

hope you are feeling better from your chest infection :)

I will find out if they are on Netflix or I need to source them from elsewhere. Feeling much better and it's rather nice to have such a lot of high standard TV to watch for a change. So thank you very much for the heads up. :)

BTW Pinkman did you know that Prince Harry's favourite TV programme is Br Ba? :o
  • Options
    MoreTearsMoreTears Posts: 7,025
    Forum Member
    Mrs BBV wrote: »
    BTW Pinkman did you know that Prince Harry's favourite TV programme is Br Ba? :o

That's a joke, right? The prince known for getting into trouble with his wild ways -- i.e., the prince who "breaks bad" -- likes the TV series Breaking Bad?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MoreTears wrote: »
    That's a joke, right? The prince known for getting into trouble with his wild ways -- i.e., the prince who "breaks bad" -- likes the TV series Breaking Bad?

Well I read it on the Mail online so it's as accurate as anything else you read in the media? Harry is no WW......he's more a JP. Bit stupid, always in trouble and a heart of gold. I'd put William more in the WW mode. ;-)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just knew some one would pick me up on that. :D

Texas, Georgia, Louisiana and Florida are the Deep South. They are the southern most states. Carolina, Kentucky and Arkansas are Southern but they aren't the Deep South. Not many people speaking Creole in Arkansas.
  • Options
    chandlerpchandlerp Posts: 4,956
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched "No Half Measures - The Making of the Final Season Of Breaking Bad" last night. Over two hours of awesome behind the scenes footage.
  • Options
    Jesse PinkmanJesse Pinkman Posts: 5,794
    Forum Member
    chandlerp wrote: »
    I watched "No Half Measures - The Making of the Final Season Of Breaking Bad" last night. Over two hours of awesome behind the scenes footage.

Yes it's a great documentary that all BB fans should see.

I've even watched that twice so far as well.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Yo it's Captain Cook to you Bitch! With added Chilli P.

But yes I like Gingers as well! ;-)

That's G to the I to the N to the GERS!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yo it's Captain Cook to you Bitch! With added Chilli P.

But yes I like Gingers as well! ;-)

That's G to the I to the N to the GERS!

Would you like to go to New Mexico and Albuquerque on holiday to visit all the landmarks of Br Ba? I would and the fact that it's a hot place that sells Mexican food adds another positive to it as a possible holiday destination. Weather sure looks good in every episode. I loved Mexico when I went there on holiday so I'm sure a couple of weeks in Albuquerque wearing Los Pollos Hermanos T shirts would be fine. :p
  • Options
    big_hard_ladbig_hard_lad Posts: 4,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would you like to go to New Mexico and Albuquerque on holiday to visit all the landmarks of Br Ba? I would and the fact that it's a hot place that sells Mexican food adds another positive to it as a possible holiday destination. Weather sure looks good in every episode. I loved Mexico when I went there on holiday so I'm sure a couple of weeks in Albuquerque wearing Los Pollos Hermanos T shirts would be fine. :p

ABQ has notoriously awesome weather....according to Wikipedia it's 278 days of sunshine a year.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Yes I'd love to go there and plague the poor residents with reenactments of famous scenes, just like I'm sure everyone is doing. The poor lady who actually owns the White's house is a fan herself and apparently does come out to talk to fans. (Not too sure she likes them trying to get a pizza on her roof.)

And I love all that expanse of desert and mountains.

But then, there are a million and one places I'd like to visit and time is a running out! (Well I was 52 last Friday and whilst I fortunately don't have terminal cancer, there ain't long left to save up and go to these places. I also missed a trick by not cooking bacon and arranging in the shape of 52 on my plate.)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes I'd love to go there and plague the poor residents with reenactments of famous scenes, just like I'm sure everyone is doing. The poor lady who actually owns the White's house is a fan herself and apparently does come out to talk to fans. (Not too sure she likes them trying to get a pizza on her roof.)

And I love all that expanse of desert and mountains.

But then, there are a million and one places I'd like to visit and time is a running out! (Well I was 52 last Friday and whilst I fortunately don't have terminal cancer, there ain't long left to save up and go to these places. I also missed a trick by not cooking bacon and arranging in the shape of 52 on my plate.)

You can start arranging your bacon at 53. :D

Do you know how many times BC tried to get the pizza on the roof or was it one of those things you could never do again if you tried and they just decided to keep it in? It still cracks me up to think about it, the way it landed was perfect. I have heard that the lady that own the White's house is very, very patient with the fans so I'm sure she won't mind visitors who come from England. I'm sure if you took her some English tea she would invite you in and maybe even let you go for a swim in Walt's pool.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ABQ has notoriously awesome weather....according to Wikipedia it's 278 days of sunshine a year.

It's landlocked which is even better. No sand in one's swimsuit. Although I'm not sure about those desert conditions. I have a real yearning to visit the USA that's NOT in tourist holiday brochures and I do find deserts fascinating. Sun on my bones always makes me feel so much better about the world. :)
  • Options
    kempshottkempshott Posts: 1,883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well thanks to the earlier posts I've just finished "No Half Measures" which really is a must-see.

It may be sunny in ABQ but they mentioned a few times how cold it was in the desert at times, and the filming one of Skyler's last scenes was delayed by snow!

I've not been to New Mexico, but much of Utah and Arizona is very similar with stunning sandstone rock formations.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    You can start arranging your bacon at 53. :D

Do you know how many times BC tried to get the pizza on the roof or was it one of those things you could never do again if you tried and they just decided to keep it in? It still cracks me up to think about it, the way it landed was perfect. I have heard that the lady that own the White's house is very, very patient with the fans so I'm sure she won't mind visitors who come from England. I'm sure if you took her some English tea she would invite you in and maybe even let you go for a swim in Walt's pool.

Apparently it was all planned and the side of the box cut so that it would separate. However they imagined quite a few takes to get the shot they needed, but he did it on the very first take. Then someone suggested that they do it again just to make sure and was told to go away as it would have taken them all day to get a shot like that to happen again if ever.

A dip in Walter's pool? What after it has had burnt teddy bears, plastic eyeballs and Walt Jr's spew in it? No thanks!

And what a waste. Apart from Skyler's dinner party dip, no one bloody used the thing! It got more use when they turned it into a skate park. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It's landlocked which is even better. No sand in one's swimsuit. Although I'm not sure about those desert conditions. I have a real yearning to visit the USA that's NOT in tourist holiday brochures and I do find deserts fascinating. Sun on my bones always makes me feel so much better about the world. :)

Yes but the desert areas of New Mexico and Arizona come with the added attractions of Scorpions, Rattle Snakes, Big Spiders and Todd*!

* You are only safe from that if you are a tattooed Lady! :D
  • Options
    big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does anyone have any pictures of the used sets?
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,919
    Forum Member

It's a sunny place but like Vegas it gets pretty cold in winter.
  • Options
    kempshottkempshott Posts: 1,883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Many Albuquerque locations on Google Maps here and a link to a Google Earth / Streetview tour here.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kempshott wrote: »
    Many Albuquerque locations on Google Maps here and a link to a Google Earth / Streetview tour here.

Oh wow.....Roswell's not too far away so we could have a day out looking at aliens as well. :D
  • Options
    David1964David1964 Posts: 1,226
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chandlerp wrote: »

Does anyone know if 'No half measures' is screening on netflix?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It might just be something people will have to bite their moral bullet and obtain *cough* elsewhere! (Like I did for the other 62 episodes! :D )

It is a must see. Two hours of blue delight.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    David1964 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if 'No half measures' is screening on netflix?

I would love to see this too! I've just finished Talking Bad which bugged the crap out of me by virtue of the fact that it followed the greatest thing ever on TV so it could only come across as lame. The anchor / presenter person was itching to be slapped. :blush:
  • Options
    Forum Member

Just shows that there is no wall behind the loo when they film from that angle!

http://images.amcnetworks.com/blogs.amctv.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/BB-Episode-508-BTS-Hank-560.jpg

Never invite a camera crew to your bedroom!

http://images.amcnetworks.com/blogs.amctv.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/ep4-2.jpg

Oooo! Just found a goldmine of funny ones:

http://www.sharenator.com/Breaking_Bad_behind_the_scenes/#/1.html

25 Aaron with fake baby puffing a ****. :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 242
    Forum Member
    shaggy_x wrote: »
    I've got Malcolm in the Middle waiting to be watched, a natural progression since Bryan Cranston is in it, and he plays a totally different character :) YouTube for breaking bad alternate ending and there's a hybrid of Walter White / Malcolm in the middle sketch on there which will only fully make sense once you're familiar with the Malcolm characters.
    If you want proper grown up telly look no further than just about anything from HBO.

Sopranos
    The Wire
    Curb your enthusiasm - like Seinfeld but with plenty of swearing and much better IMHO
    Seinfeld - not HBO but a precursor to Curb
    oz
    True Blood (though I gave up after one season as it's not my type of telly)
    Entourage (a sort of blokes Sex in the City)
    And of course
    Game of Thrones
    And
    Boardwalk Empire

Thanks to you and everyone else for the suggestions.

I've seen Oz and loved it. Very addictive.

I think I'll give The Wire another go with subtitles. I had the same problem others mention, not being able to hear what they were saying all the time.