Missing Channels on Panasonic TX-P42G10B

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,245
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Yesterday afternoon we discovered that some of our channels on Freesat on our Panasonic TV (TX-P42G10B - built-in Freesat) were not working.

Initially I found that we couldn't switch to ITV (on 103 or 119) but BBC1 was OK (101), so we tried running Auto Setup for Freesat.
The result was that we have now have lost most of the Freesat channels but we do have BBC2 and a few other channels.

Searching seems to suggest that there have been recent changes to the Freesat channels which might be the cause of these problems, but has anyone else seen anything similar?

Our Sky+ box is still fine, as are the Freeview channels on the TV...

Since we were away from last Thursday (20th March) until Sunday evening we don't know for certain when these problems actually first started.

Comments

• Hooded ClawHooded Claw Posts: 504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Any issues with the recent changes should be easily resolved by a Freesat Tune.

As this didn't work, then there is a fault somewhere. Without knowing the architecture of your system, it's impossible to home in on the cause.

So, more info needed: Are you using the same Dish and LNB as for Sky? Have you checked that the cable connections to your Freesat box are sound? Have you swopped the feeds between Sky Box and Panasonic TV?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Any issues with the recent changes should be easily resolved by a Freesat Tune.

As this didn't work, then there is a fault somewhere. Without knowing the architecture of your system, it's impossible to home in on the cause.

So, more info needed: Are you using the same Dish and LNB as for Sky? Have you checked that the cable connections to your Freesat box are sound? Have you swopped the feeds between Sky Box and Panasonic TV?

Just to clarify: we have a Panasonic TV with built-in Freesat and a Sky+ HD box.

All good questions, but unfortunately the answers are:
    1) Yes: same Dish/LNB as for Sky
    2) Yes: we have rechecked the connections to the TV
    3) Yes: we have swopped the feeds from the Sky+ box with the TV

Sadly none of these improve the problems: the retune "succeeds" in that it finds many TV, radio channels and data channels (I think 162, 38, 6 respectively) but the channel list is empty and only a few channels can be selected: BBC2 (102) is there, but not BBC1 or BBC1HD...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,768
    Forum Member
    We have a Panasonic TV (see left).

Where did you do the downlead swap ? - if not at the bottom then a cable fault could be the problem.

I have also found that under certain circumstances the Satellite feed can lock so that it won't switch the LNB modes. Unplug the feed and power down the set* - plug in the feed and then power up the set and re-tune from scratch. My set gives a terse message when this happens - but not always!

*this is a cold re-boot - ie switch off the set with the push-switch (bottom LH side on my Panasonic TV)

I hadn't noticed that 'services' had disappeared - its a TX-P42G[HIGHLIGHT]20[/HIGHLIGHT]B
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 152
    Forum Member
    I had a similar situation some time ago on a TH-46Z81B when the BBC changed some parameters. freesat retune wasn't enough. It needed a factory reset (shipping condition, I think they call it) and then the retune.
    It was discussed here on DS (which I can't seem to find now) so I would of thought others would have the same problem again if this was actually the case, but possibly worth a try.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KaySea wrote: »
    I had a similar situation some time ago on a TH-46Z81B when the BBC changed some parameters. freesat retune wasn't enough. It needed a factory reset (shipping condition, I think they call it) and then the retune.
    It was discussed here on DS (which I can't seem to find now) so I would of thought others would have the same problem again if this was actually the case, but possibly worth a try.

Thanks for the info - we had got to the point that we rang John Lewis (as the TV is still covered by their warranty) and their first suggestion was to try a factory reset.
    In the end we did a factory reset followed by another power cycle and then yet another rescan - after which it eventually found the channels again.

For future reference after the factory reset it did a rescan, but that failed to find any channels and it was only after the power cycle that it finally did a successful rescan...

So my guess is that something in the recent satellite allocation channels ended up with corrupted data somewhere in the system that was only finally cured by the reset and power cycle.