Options

BSkyB and BT win live Premier League TV rights from 2013 to 2016 (Part 2)

Comments

• Options
    Mark.Mark. Posts: 84,925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think some people miss the point of football, especially at the top level, and would have teams playing once a month if they had their way.
  • Options
    jazzydrury3jazzydrury3 Posts: 27,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mark. wrote: »
    I think some people miss the point of football, especially at the top level, and would have teams playing once a month if they had their way.

Exactly, youre very correct
  • Options
    JudioJudio Posts: 11,803
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So they would be playing Wednesday-Saturday-Tuesday.

As I said then, not a problem.

How about this for a suggestion

Chelsea just get on with it, and with a 3 day gap in between games, they should be able to do that.

I think Chelsea should put out 11 youth team players, let Man City win the League and then wait for the backlash :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What ever happened to taking each match as you go, play the strongest squad, you've got and worry the squad for the next match, when it arises
  • Options
    ariusukariusuk Posts: 13,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Judio wrote: »
    I think Chelsea should put out 11 youth team players, let Man City win the League and then wait for the backlash :o

Problem is, it would be Liverpool winning the league rather than Man City if Chelsea were to take that course of action.

...And nobody wants that ;-)
  • Options
    mlt11mlt11 Posts: 21,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So with Man Utd out we now know that BT's Southampton v Everton game remains in its slot.

So all that remains is the following:

1) If Chelsea play 1st leg Tue, 2nd leg Wed then Chel/Sun swaps with Hull/Ars

2) If Chelsea play 1st leg Wed, 2nd leg Tue then Liv/Chel swaps with Man U/Nor

Sky hoping for 1)

ITV hoping for 2)
  • Options
    The LizardThe Lizard Posts: 2,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So they would be playing Wednesday-Saturday-Tuesday.

As I said then, not a problem.

How about this for a suggestion

Chelsea just get on with it, and with a 3 day gap in between games, they should be able to do that.

Well said, wolvesdavid! :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mark. wrote: »

Well said, Mark! :)

All people/clubs wanting games moved, to suit them, but I will say that if the boot was on the other foot and a rival team was in the same situation, they would be the first to say that they should get on with it.

There is no problem with teams playing Wednesday-Saturday-Tuesday, or Thursday-Sunday-Wednesday, or Sunday-Wednesday-Saturday. It is the same, whatever way you look at it, and teams have always just got on with it, so no reason to change that now, regardless of any rubbish excuses like rest/tiredness/can't (more like won't) play three games in a week etc. Wenger started all that off years ago, and others quickly joined the club.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Lizard wrote: »

All people/clubs wanting games moved, to suit them, but I will say that if the boot was on the other foot and a rival team was in the same situation, they would be the first to say that they should get on with it.

There is no problem with teams playing Wednesday-Saturday-Tuesday, or Thursday-Sunday-Wednesday, or Sunday-Wednesday-Saturday. It is the same, whatever way you look at it, and teams have always just got on with it, so no reason to change that now, regardless of any rubbish excuses like rest/tiredness/can't (more like won't) play three games in a week etc. Wenger started all that off years ago, and others quickly joined the club.

Yes you never hear the Football League clubs moan, and there leagues mean they generally do have to play 3 games a week, I know some have said on here in the past well they aren't playing in Europe, but with the Fianances some of the FL clubs are in, im guessing some might not have enough money for the players to get to a match by coach, hense them having to drive,.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mlt11 wrote: »
    So with Man Utd out we now know that BT's Southampton v Everton game remains in its slot.

Sky hoping for 1)

ITV hoping for 2)

Yes but if ITV get their way then Sky get Liv v Chelsea on a Sat night !!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sky I see have gone as far as selling Sky remotes based on your favourite Premier League team and they come in 7 clubs designs

Aresnal
    Chelsea
    Everton
    Liverpool
    Man City
    Newcastle
    Spurs

Any reason why not a Man U one I wonder woyuld the football club be against it
  • Options
    Li4mLi4m Posts: 5,692
    Forum Member
    Yes but if ITV get their way then Sky get Liv v Chelsea on a Sat night !!!

That would have the potential to be absolutely bananas.
  • Options
    stato77stato77 Posts: 616
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Ignorance is bliss - http://www.fifpro.org/en/news/study-only-two-recovery-days-is-unfair-play
  • Options
    Mark.Mark. Posts: 84,925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I believe they couldn't agree a deal with Man Utd for licensing the crest.
  • Options
    ReadingfanReadingfan Posts: 10,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    stato77 wrote: »

Obviously the fewer recovery days you have the worse it is. And no doubt five recovery days is better than four and so on. But the schedules are tight so teams just have to get on with it. Playing Sunday-Wednesday-Saturday is hardly impossible, especially with big squads to choose from. Yes it asks physical questions of the players but that's just part of football at the top level and needs to be prepared for accordingly.

Ideally when I did my A Levels the English and History exams wouldn't have been scheduled for the same day considering about 90% of the class did both. No doubt a study could have revealed we'd have got better grades if the exams had been a week apart. But they weren't; that was the schedule we got so we had to prepare for that in advance and it was just another challenge for us to overcome. Some will have dealt with the issue better than others and those people deserved to get the better marks.
  • Options
    big_hard_ladbig_hard_lad Posts: 4,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sky I see have gone as far as selling Sky remotes based on your favourite Premier League team and they come in 7 clubs designs

Aresnal
    Chelsea
    Everton
    Liverpool
    Man City
    Newcastle
    Spurs

Is it just me or have they been selling these for ages?! Also...£32 :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stato77 wrote: »

Another one (Raymond Verheijen) who wants a bigger gap of rest, to suit players, to suit him. No, I don't agree. And no, I won't agree on anything on those lines.

Notice when teams go on a winning run, no mention of lack of rest/tiredness etc, but when they don't win, the excuses pour out.

Teams have always got on with it. Players seem to be mollycoddled/wrapped up in cotton wool too much nowadays, unnecessarily IMO, they should get on with playing Football, as and when, even if three days to the next game. They have a high level of fitness, and have coped with the demands of games close together for years, so why the concerns now?! People want things tapped to suit them.

As Mark's post stated, those people would have their games once a month if they had their own way, and I totally agree with that.

By this time tomorrow, we will know the situation with Chelsea's games, as to which game will be swapped with another, on which weekend.
  • Options
    Steveaustin316Steveaustin316 Posts: 15,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Li4m wrote: »
    That would have the potential to be absolutely bananas.

Nothing wrong with a Saturday evening kickoff between Liverpool and Chelsea.
  • Options
    citytillidiecitytillidie Posts: 282
    Forum Member
    Have a look at various comments from Jose Mournho about other Leagues helping their clubs if you do not think it is a problem

Weds night Chelsea home to Real Madrid

Tues night Chelsea travel to Madrid

And in between they play a title decider at Anfield !!!

Sure he has been saying Chelsea cant win the premier league this season so why is he worried about playing Liverpool
  • Options
    BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    Have a look at various comments from Jose Mournho about other Leagues helping their clubs if you do not think it is a problem

Weds night Chelsea home to Real Madrid

Tues night Chelsea travel to Madrid

And in between they play a title decider at Anfield !!!
    Mourinho isn't the first manager to have a go at the schedule and won't be the last. But it's not like the fixtures were out last week and managers couldn't forsee any issues.

Ultimately it's a bit rich for clubs to moan about TV dictating when clubs play, when they are all too happy to sign up and take the money.

Clubs that are fighting on three fronts these days need depth. Something Wenger has never accepted and during his first period at Arsenal wasn't really an issue.
  • Options
    ReadingfanReadingfan Posts: 10,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have the schedules been released yet for the Easter Monday? Any idea of how it's going to work with the Championship match before Monday Night Football? Will be disappointed if MNF doesn't get its usual 60 minute build-up.

Edit: Looking through Radio Times and sadly it looks like MNF won't start until 7.30. Poor show.
  • Options
    blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Aresnal
    Chelsea
    Everton
    Liverpool
    Man City
    Newcastle
    Spurs

They've probably sold out due to the number of man u remotes that have been thrown against the wall this season :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mlt11 wrote: »

Sky hoping for 1)

ITV hoping for 2)
    Confirmed by Southampton
    http://www.saintsfc.co.uk/news/article/10042014-everton-game-scheduling-1480749.aspx?
  • Options
    wolvesdavidwolvesdavid Posts: 10,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think I need to do a study to see how shop workers perform when they have different number of days off as well.

Lets be honest if I was to do this, it would only be in my self interest.

The original suggestion of moving Liverpool v Chelsea to Thursday 8th May was looking for a solution when no problem existed.

I could also suggest that we get rid of the group stages in the champions league, and the Europa League, have 18 teams in the Premier League, get rid of all international friendlies, and scrap the league cup, which would also cut fixtures down. But until all that is done teams have no right to moan if they are playing every 3 days.
  • Options
    stato77stato77 Posts: 616
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another one (Raymond Verheijen) who wants a bigger gap of rest, to suit players, to suit him. No, I don't agree. And no, I won't agree on anything on those lines.

Notice when teams go on a winning run, no mention of lack of rest/tiredness etc, but when they don't win, the excuses pour out.

Teams have always got on with it. Players seem to be mollycoddled/wrapped up in cotton wool too much nowadays, unnecessarily IMO, they should get on with playing Football, as and when, even if three days to the next game. They have a high level of fitness, and have coped with the demands of games close together for years, so why the concerns now?! People want things tapped to suit them.

Fair enough. I thought it was a bit of a gamble to add academic research into the discussion. Why are so many football fans stuck in the Dark Ages?