Anyone else get the feeling Shane Richie is leaving EastEnders?

HildaonplutoHildaonpluto Posts: 37,697
Forum Member
I have a number of reasons for suspecting/thinking this.

The writing for him in recent times imo has been largely poor.Its as if the writers cant be bithered properly with him-maybe their even trying to give him the hint to leave!:D

Shanes acting has been more hit and miss recently like hes not bothered either.

I think this upcoming Alfie arson storyline may be the beginning of a long played exit storyline for him,it may also mean theres no way back popularity wise for Alfie.Its a pretty wicked thing to do.

I sense the writers and much of the audience feel they hit their peak as the moon couple in 2005 and that cannot be recreated.
I feel Alfies time is up but not neccesarily kats.

I just sense from what I see onscreen that DTC knows Alfie is a spentforce.

Comments

• The Queen VicThe Queen Vic Posts: 5,775
    Forum Member
    I actually must be the only one who prefers when Alfie is given the comedy stuff. It reminds me of when he first joined. I find his dramatic stuff really dull.

I hope he doesn't leave. He's a good character (in my opinion) and I like Kat and Alfie together.
  • LaceyLouelle3LaceyLouelle3 Posts: 9,682
    Forum Member
    Well..we can only hope
  • eastboy1980eastboy1980 Posts: 525
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I bloody well hope so, but i think it may be wishful thinking
  • cardiff boyocardiff boyo Posts: 3,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It might just be a short break whilst he films his game show/ does panto or whatever it is he does...if it is permanent :):):):):):):):D:D but KEEP KAT!!!!!
  • Kim_xKim_x Posts: 3,635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Indeed. Should've just killed the character off instead of making him hated, if they wanted to keep Jessie on/he was quitting and she wasn't. Outside of DS, he does seem popular.

I can't decide who's worse right now, Alfie or Michael :o
  • NoushNoush Posts: 4,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well..we can only hope

Exactly.

But has it been confirmed that it is actually Alfie that starts the fire?.. :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Noush wrote: »
    Exactly.

But has it been confirmed that it is actually Alfie that starts the fire?.. :confused:

Either that or Soaplife Careless Whispers have been misled into thinking he does.
  • HildaonplutoHildaonpluto Posts: 37,697
    Forum Member
    I bloody well hope so, but i think it may be wishful thinking

Shanes got other career routes that are currently active so I think he could afford leave unlike others who may have more limited career options.Not hollywoid dreams like last time but viable options.
  • Broken_ArrowBroken_Arrow Posts: 10,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If Alfie goes, Kat goes. Jessie Wallace was written out by mutual consent the last time Shane Richie left which means both parties wanted Kat gone. Kat could have survived without Alfie back then but not now. They're too tied together after this disastrous stint.
  • O-JO-J Posts: 18,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really don't want them to leave!
  • Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I hope not - leaving Kat with 3 children under the age of 4 and a stall to run on her own? :(
  • RetroMusicFanRetroMusicFan Posts: 6,673
    Forum Member
    Yes!

I have had a feeling that this might be the case for some time as he's been getting some really bad story lines and been written as becoming rather arrogant and mean spirited at times, all the jobs he's able to do have gone, he pissed the market stall up the wall by getting involved with Aleks which was an unnecessary and needless story line and he hasn't been palled up with Mick or been asked by him to help out or been given a job in the Vic, Mick and Ian palled up and it seems that Mick has replaced Alfie as the resident cheeky chappy and Ian's best mate.

There is nowhere that I can see for Alfie to go apart from out and if it is him who starts the fire then Kat might never forgive him and he certainly won't ever forgive himself!

I really don't want Alfie to go and wish Shane all the best of luck in his next venture!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    benbenalen wrote: »
    I really don't want them to leave!

Nor do I. After everything that's already been done to them by another producer, I wish they'd just send them off to Australia or something if they had to go.
    Forum Member
    If Alfie goes, Kat goes. Jessie Wallace was written out by mutual consent the last time Shane Richie left which means both parties wanted Kat gone. Kat could have survived without Alfie back then but not now. They're too tied together after this disastrous stint.

You dont hold out any slim hope of Kat flourishing and being restored in a post Alfie situation?

The repair of Kat has stalled in many ways- you believe its too late?

Its so frustrating whats happened to Kat >:(:(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You dont hold out any slim hope of Kat flourishing and being restored in a post Alfie situation?

The repair of Kat has stalled in many ways- you believe its too late?

Its so frustrating whats happened to Kat >:(:(

I don't believe there will ever be a post Alfie situation with Kat. They're bonded forever. I also don't see where Kat could be taken with 3 toddlers to care for and no partner to bounce off. I've given up on Kat. She changes personalities more often than she changes her knickers.
  • NoushNoush Posts: 4,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kim_x wrote: »
    Either that or Soaplife Careless Whispers have been misled into thinking he does.

I don't think he does you know..,, I think he does something at the Vic instead and not at home.....
    Forum Member
    I don't believe there will ever be a post Alfie situation with Kat. They're bonded forever. I also don't see where Kat could be taken with 3 toddlers to care for and no partner to bounce off. I've given up on Kat. She changes personalities more often than she changes her knickers.

Thats certainly rapid personality changes then!:D

I think its fair to say the Alfie and Kat lovestory is not a priority or favourite of DTCs.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I think its fair to say the Alfie and Kat lovestory is not a priority or favourite of DTCs.

They've had at least 6 happy endings. I just don't care anymore and I don't blame DTC if he doesn't either.
    Forum Member

DTC doesn't give a Monkey's about Kat and Alfie or their love story, they are just surplus to requirements now and rather than tell them to leave he's commissioning below par story lines in a hope they'll quit and I feel sorry for them both. DTC baby is the Carter family who I love but am deeply sorry that their creation has meant the sacrifice of Kat and Alfie.
  • 0...00...0 Posts: 21,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They've had at least 6 happy endings. I just don't care anymore and I don't blame DTC if he doesn't either.

I'm actually glad Dennis died now. Can you imagine what would have happened to The Greatest Love Story Ever Told in 2012?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only time they were happy was when they left. They've never been happy for longer than 2 minutes on screen.
    Forum Member

DTC should care and if he wants rid of Shane and or Jessie then he should call them in and discuss it instead of farting about commissioning crap stories in order to try to get them to quit that's the coward's way out and it's mean!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DTC doesn't give a Monkey's about Kat and Alfie or their love story, they are just surplus to requirements now and rather than tell them to leave he's commissioning below par story lines in a hope they'll quit and I feel sorry for them both. DTC baby is the Carter family who I love but am deeply sorry that their creation has meant the sacrifice of Kat and Alfie.

Ergh this. Things were actually looking promising before the Carters got their feet under the table. I did get the feeling that a lot of Newman's decisions were based on how DTC wanted the show to be when he took over.

I just can't warm to Linda and Mick. Linda is never satisfied and shows more concern for Johnny who was poorly as a baby than Nancy, who is actually disabled.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That's certainly is true! But the dynamic of Alfie and Kat's relationship has changed so much over the years.

Back in 2005, Kat and Alfie were massively popular with the viewing public and were cited as one of EE's classic couples, so it wouldn't be fair to see them get ripped apart forever. But it all went wrong during 2010-2012 due to horrendous writing and characterisation, which as a result severely weakened public perception of the once wonderful couple.

I wouldn't want to see Alfie leave Kat on her own with three youngsters. But if TPTB did decide to keep Jessie Wallace on if Shane Richie decided to leave. I doubt many would kick up much of a fuss.
    Forum Member
    Aaron1995 wrote: »
    That's certainly is true! But the dynamic of Alfie and Kat's relationship has changed so much over the years.

Back in 2005, Kat and Alfie were massively popular with the viewing public and were cited as one of EE's classic couples, so it wouldn't be fair to see them get ripped apart forever. But it all went wrong during 2010-2012 due to horrendous writing and characterisation, which as a result severely weakened public perception of the once wonderful couple.

I wouldn't w
    ant to see Alfie to leave Kat on her own with three youngsters. But if TPTB did decide to keep Jessie Wallace on if Shane Richie decided to leave. I doubt many would kick up much of a fuss.

This!

You've got a point there because Jessie said in an interview a couple of months or so ago that she had signed on long term so I can't see her leaving just yet.

I reckon Alfie either dies/commits suicide or goes to prison/on the run!