What is Labour's policy on immigration?

PrestonAlPrestonAl Posts: 10,342
Forum Member
✭✭
Anybody know?

Seems the tories have one, which won't work, but Labour's is not to speak about it and hide their head in the sand.

Comments

• paul2307paul2307 Posts: 8,079
    Forum Member
    It doesn't matter what swagger any party comes out about controlling immigration we have no control over any of it we have to do what our foreign overlords dictate
  • northantsgirlnorthantsgirl Posts: 4,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Tories seem to take the UKIP policy after a couple of months and Labour seem to take the Tory policy after two years.
  • deptfordbakerdeptfordbaker Posts: 22,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People in the media, politicians etc. keep saying everyone is following UKIP, but even Dianne Abbott had to admit on 'This Week' last night that UKIP is a symptom. This backlash against the political elites previous policy on immigration is being driven by the vast majority of British voters. UKIP are just benefiting from that and the other parties are desperate not to be seen as out of touch.

Ed is just keeping quiet hoping he will win due to the way the electoral system favours Labour, plus ex Lib Dem voters. Expect business as usual on immigration as soon as they have won the election. Ed does not see what the problem is to be honest.
  • jmclaughjmclaugh Posts: 63,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I assume it is still the holy grail of multi-cuturalism and cheap foreign workers.
  • MTUK1MTUK1 Posts: 20,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PrestonAl wrote: »
    Anybody know?

Seems the tories have one, which won't work, but Labour's is not to speak about it and hide their head in the sand.

Sit back. Stick their fingers in their ears and let as many people in as possible.
  • IanPIanP Posts: 3,661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Labour policy is to get in to power then wreck the economy so there is mass unemployment and nobody wants to come here, immigration problem solved.
  • OLD HIPPY GUYOLD HIPPY GUY Posts: 28,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jmclaugh wrote: »
    I assume it is still the holy grail of multi-cuturalism and cheap foreign workers.

MTUK1 wrote: »
    Sit back. Stick their fingers in their ears and let as many people in as possible.

IanP wrote: »
    Labour policy is to get in to power then wreck the economy so there is mass unemployment and nobody wants to come here, immigration problem solved.

Oh stop, my poor ribs, hey I know perhaps they intend to mind read or be sarcastic? but for those who love to insist that only the Tories have any policies,
    (and most of them comprise of making things harder for the less well off while, as ever, looking after the better off (as well as trying to 'out right wing' Ukip)

anyway here are some of the policy ideas that Labour don't have,
    Remember, the sneers were that Labour have no policy ideas, watch and learn how the goalposts shift, the 'tone' will now change from sneering because "Labour have no policies on immigration" (which is what I am responding to)
    to sneers about the actual policies that a few posts ago they didnt have,
    oh and of course attacks on me for daring to respond to the sneerers for sneering that Labour have no policy ideas on immigration.
    Labour’s new Immigration Bill would ban Recruitment Consultancy firms from only hiring abroad & ban firms from paying temporary workers less than permanent staff.

Mandatory Registration for Commercial Landlords to prevent them subletting smaller properties to large groups of immigrants.

Labour will clampdown on Short Term Student Visas, freeing up regulation of Long Term Student visas so that University recruitment of foreign students runs more smoothly
    May 7, 2014
    http://www.labourleft.co.uk/100-labour-party-policies-each-point-evidenced-to-orginal-report/

and
    http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/danhodges/100195249/labour-get-tough-on-immigration-in-policy-as-well-as-talk/
    It looks as if Labour really are preparing to walk the walk on immigration. Last week Ed Miliband delivered a speech which – while measured in tone and delivery – laid out some of the hardest policy lines ever drawn on the issue by a Labour leader. A language test for public sector workers. Cuts in translation services. Transitional controls for new EU members. And boldest of all, the prospect of support for an immigration cap.

I know I know, not good enough, I doubt anything short of closing the borders altogether and starting the round up's would be good enough for some,

What do Cameron's partners in government think of his parties policies?

http://www.theguardian.com/education/2014/oct/15/immigration-numbers-game-doesnt-add-up
    Vince Cable: immigration targets 'unobtainable and largely meaningless'

It's good to see that even your own partners have faith in you.
  • jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,572
    Forum Member

Sounds rather unlikely.
    Forum Member

So not much different from the Tories then?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh stop, my poor ribs, hey I know perhaps they intend to mind read or be sarcastic? but for those who love to insist that only the Tories have any policies,
    (and most of them comprise of making things harder for the less well off while, as ever, looking after the better off (as well as trying to 'out right wing' Ukip)

anyway here are some of the policy ideas that Labour don't have,
    Remember, the sneers were that Labour have no policy ideas, watch and learn how the goalposts shift, the 'tone' will now change from sneering because "Labour have no policies on immigration" (which is what I am responding to)
    to sneers about the actual policies that a few posts ago they didnt have,
    oh and of course attacks on me for daring to respond to the sneerers for sneering that Labour have no policy ideas on immigration.

May 7, 2014
    http://www.labourleft.co.uk/100-labour-party-policies-each-point-evidenced-to-orginal-report/

and
    http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/danhodges/100195249/labour-get-tough-on-immigration-in-policy-as-well-as-talk/

I know I know, not good enough, I doubt anything short of closing the borders altogether and starting the round up's would be good enough for some,

What do Cameron's partners in government think of his parties policies?

http://www.theguardian.com/education/2014/oct/15/immigration-numbers-game-doesnt-add-up

It's good to see that even your own partners have faith in you.

Yet again you make the mistake of thinking I support the Tories on everything including immigration, that I want to close the borders and send immigrants home en masse. All of which makes my ribs hurt.

The stuff you post above with regard to Labour is frankly re-arranging a few deckchairs and is now not much different from the Tories, no doubt a belated response to UKIP. As for the Lib Dems and immigration well they don't even bother with a bit of re-arranging.
  • MTUK1MTUK1 Posts: 20,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jjwales wrote: »
    Sounds rather unlikely.

Exactly what they did from 97-10.
    Forum Member
    Exactly what they did from 97-10.

But why do you think they would do the same after 2015?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So not much different from the Tories then?

In the lead up to an election I'm sure they will both be looking at immigration as it is a concern to the electorate and a response to UKIP. Labour however spent 13 years in government following a multi-cultural and cheap overseas labour agenda and the bulk of the last 4 years in opposition defending their 13 years in power and have yet to fess up.
  • trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Because they never learn.

They still haven't owned the economic fiasco over which they presided, so they certainly won't own the immigration catastrophe.
    Forum Member
    In the lead up to an election I'm sure they will both be looking at immigration as it is a concern to the electorate and a response to UKIP. Labour however spent 13 years in government following a multi-cultural and cheap overseas labour agenda and the bulk of the last 4 years in opposition defending their 13 years in power and have yet to fess up.

I thought they'd admitted they'd got it wrong on immigration? I'd be very surprised if they maintained exactly the same policies as the last Labour government.
  • Gregory ShapeGregory Shape Posts: 2,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It looks as if Labour really are preparing to walk the walk on immigration. Last week Ed Miliband delivered a speech which – while measured in tone and delivery – laid out some of the hardest policy lines ever drawn on the issue by a Labour leader.

That's from two years ago. His policy lines are so hard these days that he 'forgot' to even mention them in his conference speech.

The man is a total joke. As is his party.
  • MariesamMariesam Posts: 3,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Labour allowed so many in because they know they get a high percentage of the immigration vote (estimated to be 80percent) ....Tony Blairs former speech writer said as must a few years ago..

...so again its ok for Labour to allow masses in so they get voted for but they wreck all our public services health, schools ....due to the numbers and why our services are stretched to the limit and always on catch up...

...I don't object to immigration btw ....as long as our public services can cope with the numbers coming in and it doesn't affect us all and make us suffer because they are always on catch up....(housing included)...

....Labour are soon to jump on the bandwagon of people should resign over words they say .....no one from Labour resigned over the millions coming in during the mid 2000s in such as short space of time....which we still all are paying for now.....and all they ever did or said was sorry.....well for almost wrecking our country and public services its not good enough.....and people still want to vote them back in .....it amazes me......
    Forum Member
    Mariesam wrote: »
    Labour allowed so many in because they know they get a high percentage of the immigration vote (estimated to be 80percent) ....Tony Blairs former speech writer said as must a few years ago..
    I don't think he quite said that!
    ...so again its ok for Labour to allow masses in so they get voted for but they wreck all our public services health, schools ....due to the numbers and why our services are stretched to the limit and always on catch up...
    Immigrants also contribute to our public services of course. Many are working in the NHS. And I doubt that Labour would let any more in now, than the Tories would.
    ...Labour are soon to jump on the bandwagon of people should resign over words they say .....no one from Labour resigned over the millions coming in during the mid 2000s in such as short space of time....which we still all are paying for now.....and all they ever did or said was sorry.....well for almost wrecking our country and public services its not good enough.....and people still want to vote them back in .....it amazes me......
    Well, there are not that many alternatives for people who are left-leaning and are not happy with the Lib Dems. They could vote Green but that's not going to make much difference in many places because of our FPTP voting system.
  • OLD HIPPY GUYOLD HIPPY GUY Posts: 28,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yet again you make the mistake of thinking I support the Tories on everything including immigration, that I want to close the borders and send immigrants home en masse. All of which makes my ribs hurt.

The stuff you post above with regard to Labour is frankly re-arranging a few deckchairs and is now not much different from the Tories, no doubt a belated response to UKIP. As for the Lib Dems and immigration well they don't even bother with a bit of re-arranging.

No, sorry I was responding to the slightly 'sneery' tone to the posts which insist Labour have no immigration policy ideas, that's all, I am neither defending or attacking them I am just demonstrating that despite the comments Labour do have some ideas on immigration, and yes you are probably correct they aren't massively different from the Tories, and yet, the Tory supporters sneer at Labour, while they cheer the Tories?

as for a "belated response to Ukip" possibly although I made a point of highlighting the date of the piece I linked to in order to show it was hardly a recent paper,

In fact it was published a full year before the next election, I believe we are still waiting for such a comprehensive list of proposals from any of the other parties, but we don't seem to be seeing posts and or threads claiming that Ukip or the Tories have no policies.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's from two years ago. His policy lines are so hard these days that he 'forgot' to even mention them in his conference speech.

The man is a total joke. As is his party.

Thanks for your contribution to the debate. The Daily Mail is that way… --->
  • paulschapmanpaulschapman Posts: 35,536
    Forum Member
    PrestonAl wrote: »
    Anybody know?

Increase immigration to the extent it changes the culture and makes voting Labour more likely.
  • trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for your contribution to the debate. The Daily Mail is that way… --->

And The Guardian is that way

<----

I would venture that Mr Sharpe's contribution to the debate was somewhat more profound than yours.
    Forum Member
    Increase immigration to the extent it changes the culture and makes voting Labour more likely.

Well, that's the spin some like to put on it!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder whether Labour's reticence is due to the difficulty of disentangling any debate on immigration from the subject of racism. Back in the 1950s and 1960s, there were openly racist politicians campaigning to send immigrants home. Even today, people like Nigel Farage have made xenophobic statements about immigrants that are hardly helpful to the debate.
  • clinchclinch Posts: 11,574
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Until there is a public announcement its the same as it was - mass immigration is good for Labour votes. Of course, even if there was an announced change, you would have to be a little sceptical about its veracity.