UK's Magic Digital 1 mono/105.4 FM stereo (London and the South East only)

occyoccy Posts: 64,626
Forum Member
✭✭
edited 04/04/23 - 11:55 in Radio and Podcasts #1
Why doesn't Magic employ more presenters. Paul Phear has been covering weekend breakfast, now back covering Sunday Mellow Magic.

Although Magic format seems to be ' More Music Less Talk' with some Automation added to the schedule, the above mentioned seems to shine more and more even if the website looks informative and appealing when you clicking onto it.

I'm not blaming the presenters doing over time. Is Bauer trying to save money, even though the station is number one in London?

Comments

• Martin PhillpMartin Phillp Posts: 34,659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What's the point in hiring more presenters when the music is king on the station?

After all outside breakfast, Magic is the wallpaper station for London.
  • michael1152michael1152 Posts: 1,966
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I believe Danny Pietroni is on holiday, and Angie has just got back, so they have either not been able to get cover, (although I would have thought they would have got Martin Collins to cover- but he must be away too at the minute).

Is Paul Phear live or pre-rec? I'm listening to him at the min and he only did a very short link just after 9.40pm.

And I don't think Magic is number1 in London anymore. think Capital pipped them to the post after the latest listening figures.
  • GeorgeSGeorgeS Posts: 20,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who is this in for Gary Vincent today? Its not Martin Collins anyway.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 274
    Forum Member
    GeorgeS wrote: »
    Who is this in for Gary Vincent today? Its not Martin Collins anyway.

danny pietroni!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dontask wrote: »
    danny pietroni!

yes, didnt sound like him at first. He was fumbling at bit, giving the wrong time check, giving multiple time checks, etc. Not his usual slick self.
    Forum Member
    hes probably still in bed usually at this time of the day so we should let him off this time!
  • occyoccy Posts: 64,626
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is the schedule listed wrong again?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    occy wrote: »
    Is the schedule listed wrong again?

yes its Foxy; Danny; Paul; Angie; Hannah this week.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The second biggest station in London? , Magic, and they can't get their schedule right that much!!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It Magic better using the same presenter covering two shows across the weekend with on VT and the other live?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It Magic better using the same presenter covering two shows across the weekend with on VT and the other live?

well its not as hard as working down a coal mine, but the lack of variety in voices will get to heavy listeners. Plus they cant do much give away promos if they are VT'd.

Martin Collins seems to be unexpected unavailable for whatever reason, so that seems to be there main problem, given they have no stand-in replacement for their swing guy.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Martin Collins is a talented listed on Wise Buddah website.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Martin Collins is a talented listed on Wise Buddah website.

what do you mean? Are you saying he has left Magic or that Wise Buddah are his agent?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    what do you mean? Are you saying he has left Magic or that Wise Buddah are his agent?

Wise Buddah is his agent.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well Martin Collins has reappeared. Standing in for Gary Vincent today he reads out the wrong years news headlines for the test of time competition so not much changes with Martin :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well Martin Collins has reappeared. Standing in for Gary Vincent today he reads out the wrong years news headlines for the test of time competition so not much changes with Martin :D

Martin was on Weekend breakfast.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Martin was on Weekend breakfast.

thought he just turned up on Monday at 9.02 and read the first bit of paper they put in front of him.
    Forum Member
    damn i missed it. hope he didnt press too many wrong buttons and is saving his fight with the magic computer until tomorrow
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    damn i missed it. hope he didnt press too many wrong buttons and is saving his fight with the magic computer until tomorrow

the magic computer has been in training while he was off so I'm sure it will be a tough no holes barred bout. :D

Twas funny this morning as he starts off "this was the year that we were watching Michael Douglas in Wall Street" and then straight to Ronan Keating.
  • StuderStuder Posts: 12
    Forum Member
    ...he reads out the wrong years news headlines for the test of time competition so not much changes with Martin

Unbelievable. I don't know how Martin gets away with it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's what I thought- someone must like him a lot, behind the scenes, if it was anyone else they would surely have peddled by now- for not being slick enough. Some people who listen to magic, might think his delivery stands out like a sore thumb amongst the other presenters. How on earth was he able to read out the wrong clues though?! How come no one else ever does?!
  • StuderStuder Posts: 12
    Forum Member
    I tend to agree with you Michael.

Really nice guy but just not a good fit for Magic 105.4.
    Forum Member
    took martin 37 minutes this morning before he pressed a wrong button. he is improving!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    took martin 37 minutes this morning before he pressed a wrong button. he is improving!

The traffic jingle interupted his chain of thought:D
  • chimpanzeechimpanzee Posts: 121
    Forum Member
    its about music on Magic.. to be honest they could stick pretty much anyone on there as long as they had the right sounding voice and they'd be fine.