Forum Member
✭✭
I recently watched "Black Rock" and thought it was decent

What is everyones favourite|?

Comments

• Options
    intruder2kintruder2k Posts: 318
    Forum Member
    Are there a lot of horror films set on a deserted island? The only one that springs to mind is the Brit horror flick Tower of Evil, which is admittedly very good.
  • Options
    FusionFuryFusionFury Posts: 14,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    intruder2k wrote: »
    Are there a lot of horror films set on a deserted island? The only one that springs to mind is the Brit horror flick Tower of Evil, which is admittedly very good.

I'm not sure but I thought it would be perfect for a setting.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    The Breed is good..these teens get stuck on this island with a pack of viscous dogs..gory and fun :p

i also bought one called Uninhabited which isn't bad
  • Options
    pericompericom Posts: 6,026
    Forum Member
    Dead Mine is worth a watch.
  • Options
    ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "Matango", based on William Hope Hodgson's "The Voice in the Night".
  • Options
    jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the end of DEEP RISING :D
  • Options
    rufus oculusrufus oculus Posts: 236
    Forum Member
    The island is not deserted but I suppose we should mention the various versions of The Island of Dr Moreau such as the Island of Lost Souls.
  • Options
    rufus oculusrufus oculus Posts: 236
    Forum Member
    Again the island is isolated rather than deserted but there is another 1930's horror movie in The Most Dangerous Game aka The Hounds of Zaroff which I believe is still the most re-made movie.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The Wilderness is another good one..heads on sticks etc lol
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had a dream about a movie where a group of people go on a deserted island and a lot of strange things happen.

Don't know if it's really a movie or my imagination.
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,274
    Forum Member
    Who Can Kill A Child? Though that's not really deserted is it? Well kind of.
  • Options
    FIN-MANFIN-MAN Posts: 1,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here is a pretty good list, although some do not qualify.
    http://www.imdb.com/list/ls005711497/
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FIN-MAN wrote: »

Cheers.
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FIN-MAN wrote: »

It's interested to see Paradise Murdered listed there.

It's a murder mystery on an island where the survivors end up suspecting each other, but I think Moss (2010) - which uses a similar premise - does a better job. Both are worth watching if you enjoy the Agatha Christie type of films.

Blood Rain (2005) is worth checking out as well. It takes place on an island during the 19th century. A royal investigator is sent there to investigate a series of gory murders. It's more of a Sherlock Holmes / Sleepy Hollow type, though.

Higanjima - also listed on that - is dreadful. A vampire film sets on a mountainous island that was once used as a military compound during WWII. I admit it does have a couple of interesting moments and the vampire was wonderfully nasty at times, but the rest - awful. Especially the cast.

I'm trying to recall if there's any more island-set East Asian films.

Battle Royale - a bunch of kids killing each other on an uninhabited island
    Shikoku (a.k.a. Land of the Dead) - a Japanese slow-burn supernatural film.

Bedevilled - South Korean. the first half is a slow-burn drama and the second-half is when it goes nuts

Long Weekend (2013 or 2012) - a fairly ridiculous Thai supernatural horror film that revolves around a cursed shrine on an island. It does have an interesting moment or two, but that's about it.

A Game of Ghosts (a.k.a. Ghost Game) - an awful Thai horror film of reality TV contestants in an abandoned military prison on an island. It's probably more famous for setting in a well-known prison that was the heart of Pol Pot's regime, which scandalised the public and the media. Most in the cast are former reality TV contestants in real life.

Siren (Sairen) - a Japanese film adaptation of a Japanese video game. A family moves to an island where it emits a mysterious siren every night, signalling no one can leave their homes until the siren ends. I can't remember anything than feeling a bit bored at times.
  • Options
    StrakerStraker Posts: 79,661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dee123 wrote: »
    Who Can Kill A Child? Though that's not really deserted is it? Well kind of.

Great film. Proof that you can have eeriness in blazing sunshine.
  • Options
    007Fusion007Fusion Posts: 3,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fear Island (2009)

There is also a film from the 90's about a married couple being chased by some mad guy on an Island. For some reason I have Jennifer Lopez in mind. But I know it's not 'Anaconda'.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    007Fusion wrote: »
    Fear Island (2009)

There is also a film from the 90's about a married couple being chased by some mad guy on an Island. For some reason I have Jennifer Lopez in mind. But I know it's not 'Anaconda'.

Sounds good, anyone know what it is?
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FusionFury wrote: »

It sounds like A Perfect Getaway, but it was released in 2009. A newly-married couple goes to an island for honeymoon and hears news about murders when they meet another couple, and all are spooked by a stalker who seems set on killing them.
  • Options
    intruder2kintruder2k Posts: 318
    Forum Member
    Sounds like Three, starring Kelly Brook and Billy Zane, although it came out in 2005, not the '90s.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    intruder2k wrote: »
    Sounds like Three, starring Kelly Brook and Billy Zane, although it came out in 2005, not the '90s.

I'll check it out

Like Billy Zane movies.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'll check it out

Like Billy Zane movies.

isn't he in dead calm film ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Takae wrote: »
    It sounds like A Perfect Getaway, but it was released in 2009. A newly-married couple goes to an island for honeymoon and hears news about murders when they meet another couple, and all are spooked by a stalker who seems set on killing them.

Didn't see this earlier, thanks.
  • Options
    FIN-MANFIN-MAN Posts: 1,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Takae wrote: »
    It's interested to see Paradise Murdered listed there.

It's a murder mystery on an island where the survivors end up suspecting each other, but I think Moss (2010) - which uses a similar premise - does a better job. Both are worth watching if you enjoy the Agatha Christie type of films.

Blood Rain (2005) is worth checking out as well. It takes place on an island during the 19th century. A royal investigator is sent there to investigate a series of gory murders. It's more of a Sherlock Holmes / Sleepy Hollow type, though.

Higanjima - also listed on that - is dreadful. A vampire film sets on a mountainous island that was once used as a military compound during WWII. I admit it does have a couple of interesting moments and the vampire was wonderfully nasty at times, but the rest - awful. Especially the cast.

I'm trying to recall if there's any more island-set East Asian films.

Battle Royale - a bunch of kids killing each other on an uninhabited island
    Shikoku (a.k.a. Land of the Dead) - a Japanese slow-burn supernatural film.

Bedevilled - South Korean. the first half is a slow-burn drama and the second-half is when it goes nuts

Long Weekend (2013 or 2012) - a fairly ridiculous Thai supernatural horror film that revolves around a cursed shrine on an island. It does have an interesting moment or two, but that's about it.

A Game of Ghosts (a.k.a. Ghost Game) - an awful Thai horror film of reality TV contestants in an abandoned military prison on an island. It's probably more famous for setting in a well-known prison that was the heart of Pol Pot's regime, which scandalised the public and the media. Most in the cast are former reality TV contestants in real life.

Siren (Sairen) - a Japanese film adaptation of a Japanese video game. A family moves to an island where it emits a mysterious siren every night, signalling no one can leave their homes until the siren ends. I can't remember anything than feeling a bit bored at times.

All the Hunger Games movies are basically a rip off of Battle Royale.
  • Options
    007Fusion007Fusion Posts: 3,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I've been getting flashes of the film ever since you asked. I finally discovered the film is 'The River Wild' (1994).

I was so close to believing it was 'Six Days Seven Nights' (1998).
  • Options
    chrisii2011chrisii2011 Posts: 2,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    American Gothic