Options

Why Are Sequels Never Rated As Good As The First Movie?

FusionFuryFusionFury Posts: 14,121
Forum Member
✭✭
Just wondered?

Comments

• Options
    InTheLoopInTheLoop Posts: 6,595
    Forum Member
    Godfather part II
    Aliens
    Toy Story 3

Sure there are many more :)
  • Options
    FusionFuryFusionFury Posts: 14,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm some in some cases the 2nd or 3rd movie is just as good (especially if it's the same people working on it), but because it's too similar people poo poo it?
  • Options
    Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,087
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Adams family values
    The dark knight
    Empire strikes back
    Superman 2
    Star trek: wrath of khan
    Aliens (just as good)

All just as good, if not better...
  • Options
    revolver44revolver44 Posts: 22,766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mad Max II is regarded as the best of the trilogy, and rightly so.
  • Options
    CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey
    Dawn of the Dead
    Evil Dead 2
    Toy Story 2
    Terminator 2
  • Options
    idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    Because quite often they just stick to the formula that made the first so successful, and so re-tread old ground without bringing anything original to the table.

Aliens is an example of how to do the perfect sequel. Take the premise, the characters and the established universe from the first movie, and then whilst staying true to it and referential, take it off in a new direction. Explore it, expand it, bring something new to the story that complements the first movie as well.
  • Options
    Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,087
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Friday the 13th, part 3
    Batman returns
  • Options
    dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    idlewilde wrote: »
    Because quite often they just stick to the formula that made the first so successful, and so re-tread old ground without bringing anything original to the table.

Aliens is an example of how to do the perfect sequel. Take the premise, the characters and the established universe from the first movie, and then whilst staying true to it and referential, take it off in a new direction. Explore it, expand it, bring something new to the story that complements the first movie as well.

Far to much praise for Aliens, which to me doesn't feel like a sequel, more just a stand alone movie set in the same universe...yes it's a fun movie, but at the end of the day it is a big dumb action movie from the 80's nothing more nothing less. Alien 3 feels more of a sequel to the original film.
  • Options
    Ancient IDTVAncient IDTV Posts: 10,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    revolver44 wrote: »
    Mad Max II is regarded as the best of the trilogy, and rightly so.

Agreed. I think it's great (actually bought it on Blu-ray), but I don't even like the other two films.

I like Alien and Aliens about the same. Alien 3 is rubbish.

Much prefer the first Godfather and Terminator films.

Last Crusade if my favourite Indy film. Back to the Future 3 is my favourite from that trilogy.
  • Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Most of the time there is never a story to tell and it's just been done purely for money.
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Never say never. :D

Most do want sequels to succeed, but it's usually a hastily-written and badly-done script, missing chemistry in the cast or absence of some key cast members, different director and/or a simple mix causes a sequel to fail. In a way, a sequel is like getting back with an ex. Occasionally, it works, but in most cases, the magic is no longer there.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    dearmrman wrote: »
    Far to much praise for Aliens, which to me doesn't feel like a sequel, more just a stand alone movie set in the same universe...yes it's a fun movie, but at the end of the day it is a big dumb action movie from the 80's nothing more nothing less. Alien 3 feels more of a sequel to the original film.

I disagree that Aliens is a big, dumb action movie. It has many action movie clichés for certain, but the plot is tense and the characters are great. The look and feel of it is very seminal as well. Lots of movies have copied it, but never come close.

I am actually a huge fan of Alien3, but to me, that is the chapter in the franchise that seems to be more of a stand-alone film. Fincher's vision really deviates from the established universe and characters, but that said, I do like it for what it is. It is far more gothic nightmare than sci-fi, but the film itself is worthy of far more discussion than for this thread. (I bet it's been done to death here, right? :D)

Mad Max 2 is a strange sequel, in that it becomes the definitive vision of the Mad Max universe as most know it. Say "Mad Max", and I bet that nobody conjures up the image of young Mel Gibson in his shiny leathers, with Goose and the yellow interceptor cars from the first movie, but instead the battered, torn sleeved, shotgun toting Max with the dusty, black Interceptor from Mad Max 2.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Much prefer the first Godfather and Terminator films.

Last Crusade if my favourite Indy film. Back to the Future 3 is my favourite from that trilogy.

I didn't like "The Last Crusade" as much as I did Temple of Doom because of the way that again, TOD takes the character and instead of a rehash of the first movie, we get a complete change of direction. TLC seemed to revisit the premise of the first movie but with a more light-hearted tone. I do realise however, that the reasons why I like TOD are why many people hate it.
  • Options
    RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FusionFury wrote: »
    Just wondered?

Has the thread changed your mind?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I disagree that Aliens is a big, dumb action movie. It has many action movie clichés for certain, but the plot is tense and the characters are great. The look and feel of it is very seminal as well. Lots of movies have copied it, but never come close.

Quite a claim.
  • Options
    Ancient IDTVAncient IDTV Posts: 10,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't like "The Last Crusade" as much as I did Temple of Doom because of the way that again, TOD takes the character and instead of a rehash of the first movie, we get a complete change of direction. TLC seemed to revisit the premise of the first movie but with a more light-hearted tone. I do realise however, that the reasons why I like TOD are why many people hate it.

Temple of Doom. The only one of the four I wouldn't consider re-watching. Starts off okay, but the rest of it is just awful. A lot of it is cringeworthy. Then again, I really like Crystal Skull. I think it's better paced than two of the other Indy films. I know a lot of folk don't like that one, but............
  • Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surely what happens most of the time defines the situation? And most of the time sequels are poor.
    A major element of any story is surprise, and the mistake that film makers often make is in repeating the first film. So there is very little surprise.

The sequels that succeed do it by taking the audiences by surprise, but still being true to the original film in spirit.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Takae wrote: »
    Quite a claim.

Name one film which uses "marines in space" with the design and production quality of the uniforms, weapons and other hardware etc as seen in Aliens? There's a good reason why it appears time and time again from fans of the genre when asked of their favourite movies, as it hasn't yet been bettered. It looks the business, still.
  • Options
    RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Temple of Doom is a prequel :p
  • Options
    Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    22 Jump Street :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    RebelScum wrote: »
    Temple of Doom is a prequel :p

I know. I was working on the idea that a movie released after another using the same character / universe etc is effectively a sequel for the purposes of discussion about its quality compared with the first.
    Temple of Doom. The only one of the four I wouldn't consider re-watching. Starts off okay, but the rest of it is just awful. A lot of it is cringeworthy. Then again, I really like Crystal Skull. I think it's better paced than two of the other Indy films. I know a lot of folk don't like that one, but............

The opposite is true for me. I really can't say why I dislike KOTCS but there is something not quite right about it. I think it is the over-abundance of CGI which makes the environments feel very fake. The (let's face it, amazing) sets and locations of TOD gave it a better feel.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Name one film which uses "marines in space" with the design and production quality of the uniforms, weapons and other hardware etc as seen in Aliens?

When you put it that way, I can't.

The concept of 'marines in space' has been around since the 1930s and the gritty look and the hard military SF element were created during the 1970s, especially in Japanese SF films and cartoons, but I can't recall any that combined those elements so I'll give you that one.
  • Options
    Laura1981Laura1981 Posts: 152
    Forum Member
    I liked the second Captain America film more than the first.
  • Options
    Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    dearmrman wrote: »

Nah, totally wrong.

It's a very well made action flick that taps into, celebrates and subverts, action film clichés. The script is hugely quotable and it's just a great film in its own right. It's a completely different film to Alien, of course and that's why any comparison is absurd.
  • Options
    Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    Name one film which uses "marines in space" with the design and production quality of the uniforms, weapons and other hardware etc as seen in Aliens? There's a good reason why it appears time and time again from fans of the genre when asked of their favourite movies, as it hasn't yet been bettered. It looks the business, still.

Dude, I like the film but I can't really see the relevance of the question.

The makers deliberately chose uniforms, weapons and other technology that seemed outdated. Honestly, the helmets might as well be WWII vintage, for example. Everyone has ballistic weapons that use cartridge ammunition and rifle grenades. Surely that's the whole point? If the soldiers had Star Trek style ray-guns that simply vaporised enemies, where's the dramatic tension?