Options

The Life and Loves of a She-Devil BBC4 Tues 21st Oct

ilovewallanderilovewallander Posts: 42,114
Forum Member
Anyone remember this series from the 1980s? The last time I saw it was over 20 years and all I remember is a pervy Tom Baker vicar character, a rather scary looking Julie T Wallace, Dennis Waterman and Patricia Hodge. This series is one of those not repeated very often and I'm glad to say it's being repeated this Tuesday at 10pm. Good old BBC4 :)

Comments

• Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I remember this. Very creepy if I recall.

Thanks for the info ... I shall make sure I record it. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 327
    Forum Member
    Oh, I remember this very well, and thoroughly enjoyed it. Thanks for the heads up.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 215
    Forum Member
    I remember watching this as a kid. I found it quite boring really, but when I was that age you had to grab whatever TV nudity you could when you got the chance..
  • Options
    cavallicavalli Posts: 18,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Brilliant thank you so much for the heads up! :)

I read the book a year or two ago and was struck by how perfectly cast the series was, particularly Julie T Wallis. I was only a kid when it was originally shown so will be great to see it again now in all it's malevolent glory.
  • Options
    GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember it too, thanks for the heads up :)
  • Options
    Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember this. Very creepy if I recall.

Thanks for the info ... I shall make sure I record it. :)

Yes and the theme (this time not written and sung by Dennis Waterman :D ) is one of the most mournful and depressing songs ever written imo-yet in a peculiar way still interesting and even catchy in its entirety (it was sung by Christine Collister http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wM9keMo4Tdw )

Not your average piece of tv drama-quirky , scary, peculiar. Id put it in one of those 1000 programmes to see before you die lists.
  • Options
    GrolsGrols Posts: 300,168
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oooh loved that program. Julie T Wallace was brilliant. :D
  • Options
    snoweyowlsnoweyowl Posts: 1,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some highly authentic shots of a house burning down is all I can remember of it.
  • Options
    Hound of LoveHound of Love Posts: 80,144
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A great series; and Liz Smith was a laugh, bless her.
  • Options
    alcockellalcockell Posts: 25,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OH YES- will get PVR set up..
  • Options
    CentaurionCentaurion Posts: 2,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nudity mentioned , Pat Hodge ?

Hopefully NOT Liz Smith.
  • Options
    suesuesuesuesuesue Posts: 16,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I saw this was going to be repeated the other day and was going to start a thread but thought "I bet someone with good taste - like ILW - will start one up" and lo and behold :D

I don't remember the full story just that it was very good and it got me reading Faye Weldon. PVR set up and ready to go!
  • Options
    Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yes shall be accumulated by the episodes numbers should be good
  • Options
    Forum Member
    suesuesue wrote: »
    I saw this was going to be repeated the other day and was going to start a thread but thought "I bet someone with good taste - like ILW - will start one up" and lo and behold :D

I don't remember the full story just that it was very good and it got me reading Faye Weldon. PVR set up and ready to go!

Why thank you, suesuesue, you've got me blushing :blush::D

To be honest, I don't remember much about this as I was only 10 or 11 at the time. It's funny I remember there was nudity though :D Bit like the two major things I remember about another strange BBC drama I saw around the same time, The Singing Detective. The bit where Joanne Whalley was greasing up Michael Gambon and the flashback of when he was a young boy hiding up a tree watching his mum, played by Alison Steadman, shagging Inspector Chisholm from Minder in the woods :D
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Chris1964 wrote: »
    Yes and the theme (this time not written and sung by Dennis Waterman :D ) is one of the most mournful and depressing songs ever written imo-yet in a peculiar way still interesting and even catchy in its entirety (it was sung by Christine Collister http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wM9keMo4Tdw )

Not your average piece of tv drama-quirky , scary, peculiar. Id put it in one of those 1000 programmes to see before you die lists.

Listening to the theme has brought back so many memories. I am looking forward to it even more now. :)
  • Options
    montyburns56montyburns56 Posts: 2,011
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

To be honest, I don't remember much about this as I was only 10 or 11 at the time. It's funny I remember there was nudity though :D Bit like the two major things I remember about another strange BBC drama I saw around the same time, The Singing Detective. The bit where Joanne Whalley was greasing up Michael Gambon and the flashback of when he was a young boy hiding up a tree watching his mum, played by Alison Steadman, shagging Inspector Chisholm from Minder in the woods :D

They're the only bits that anyone remembers from the The Singing Detective! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    They're the only bits that anyone remembers from the The Singing Detective! :D

True :D
  • Options
    will2510will2510 Posts: 1,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wasn't Miriam Margolyes in one of the episodes as a work colleague of the Julie T Wallace character? Was a good programme - well worth a repeat showing.
  • Options
    Cellar_DoorCellar_Door Posts: 2,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mary Fisherrrrrrrr!
  • Options
    SmintSmint Posts: 4,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oooh, thanks for the heads up

I'd already read the book and wondered how on earth they were going to televise it, but I think they did an excellent job. Patricia Hodge was a girl crush of mine and Julie T Wallace was awesome. It certainly made me see the post Doctor Who Tom Baker in a different light :D

Didn't it start, "Mary Fisher lives in a tower at the edge of the sea" and they filmed it at the lighthouse at Beachy Head?
  • Options
    GroundhogalGroundhogal Posts: 9,495
    Forum Member

I only saw that on repeat because Mary Whitehouse complained about it so much. Mary was great at finding the dirty bits for us. I miss her a lot. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Smint wrote: »
    Oooh, thanks for the heads up

I'd already read the book and wondered how on earth they were going to televise it, but I think they did an excellent job. Patricia Hodge was a girl crush of mine and Julie T Wallace was awesome. It certainly made me see the post Doctor Who Tom Baker in a different light :D

Didn't it start, "Mary Fisher lives in a tower at the edge of the sea" and they filmed it at the lighthouse at Beachy Head?

I wanted to live in a lighthouse after seeing that :) I still do!
  • Options
    Sweaty Job RotSweaty Job Rot Posts: 2,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone remember this series from the 1980s? The last time I saw it was over 20 years and all I remember is a pervy Tom Baker vicar character, a rather scary looking Julie T Wallace, Dennis Waterman and Patricia Hodge. This series is one of those not repeated very often and I'm glad to say it's being repeated this Tuesday at 10pm. Good old BBC4 :)

Sad but true a friend actually knocked one out while viewing Ms T Wallace in lingerie.😱

Not certain if she ever wore lingerie in it while straddling Denis Waterman so I shall watch and see.
  • Options
    The WizardThe Wizard Posts: 11,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I caught an episode of this around a friends house. It's one of those times in my life I remember what I was doing at the time.

We'd met up down a local pub where we used to go and pump quid after quid into a pinball machine. Then we went back to my mate's sister's flat and her fella introduced me to the album Full Moon Fever by Tom Petty and She Devil was on in the background.

I remember being mesmerised by it and found it strangely erotic as well as creepy. I had a thing for older women when I was younger and remember finding Julie T Wallace strangely seductive even though she was quite butch and unattractive as an 18 year old lad with raging hormones this was proper sexy stuff. Now every time I hear Tom Petty or someone talks about She Devil I think vividly of that night we went out and ended up at my mate's sisters flat. It was one of those memories I'll never forget.

I never did get to see the whole series. Thanks for the heads up. Will look forward to seeing it after all these years.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sad but true a friend actually knocked one out while viewing Ms T Wallace in lingerie.😱

Not certain if she ever wore lingerie in it while straddling Denis Waterman so I shall watch and see.

I don't quite know what to say :o:confused: Not obvious w@nk material I'd say, but your mate obviously got turned on by she-devils :D