Options

My first Christmas as a diabetic

FranglaisFranglais Posts: 3,312
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Diagnosed approx 2 months ago. There must be loads of other people (not necessarily on DS) who are in a similar boat as me.

Will be with friends who'll be eating "normal" Christmas fayre and booze. Gonna be hard for me although they all know my situation and will be supportive - until they've had one over the eight!

Are there any diabetics here (or you know of other diabetics) who've coped well in previous Christmases amongst "normal" friends and/or family members?

Comments

• Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I was diagnosed type 2 diabetic 17 years ago.

Just keep taking the medicine and eat & drink in moderation.
  • Options
    myssmyss Posts: 16,528
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My Dad was one, my brother is one and I'm Hypoglycemic but not Diabetic! :D

We've eaten the same thing to be honest - Christmas dinner for us is a meat with vegetables which isn't a no-no for anyone with or without sugar issues; we've never had 'pigs in blanket' or anything like it, so no prob there.
    The only thing - if anything - is the pudding. My Dad and brother will probably have Christmas Pudding with no cream or custard, I don't have it as I don't like raisins. I have homemade Apple Crumble with custard - which is always delicious. :)

Is there anything you had before that you think will be a no-no or an issue for you this year?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    myss wrote: »
    My Dad was one, my brother is one and I'm Hypoglycemic but not Diabetic! :D

We've eaten the same thing to be honest - Christmas dinner for us is a meat with vegetables which isn't a no-no for anyone with or without sugar issues; we've never had 'pigs in blanket' or anything like it, so no prob there.
    The only thing - if anything - is the pudding. My Dad and brother will probably have Christmas Pudding with no cream or custard, I don't have it as I don't like raisins. I have homemade Apple Crumble with custard - which is always delicious. :)

Is there anything you had before that you think will be a no-no or an issue for you this year?

Well, I'm not sure about Christmas Pudding. Is that very sugary? I think all sweets and chocs are also out? I don't mind really as I'm watching my weight!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 315
    Forum Member
    I was diagnosed type 2 about the same time as the OP. I've changed my diet, lost weight and brought my blood sugar level down. I'm going to be careful over Christmas. In the past I ate far too much of the wrong (but very nice) things. This year we've stocked up with a few treats that I can have in moderation while everyone else binges.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,168
    Forum Member
    ive been type 1 for over 15 years. i eat and drink what i want, its christmas!! just make sure you do enough insulin to cover yourself....i suppose that comes with practice tho.

and before you think i must be a fatty im 7stone.....its about letting go and enjoying yourself for a change :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 708
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    evamoo wrote: »
    ive been type 1 for over 15 years. i eat and drink what i want, its christmas!! just make sure you do enough insulin to cover yourself....i suppose that comes with practice tho.

and before you think i must be a fatty im 7stone.....its about letting go and enjoying yourself for a change :p

AND also make sure you don't "overdo" the insulin!

It's a very fine balance, and I for one have been on the back end of a hypo!

Have fun and take it easy :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 708
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Franglais wrote: »
    Diagnosed approx 2 months ago. There must be loads of other people (not necessarily on DS) who are in a similar boat as me.

Will be with friends who'll be eating "normal" Christmas fayre and booze. Gonna be hard for me although they all know my situation and will be supportive - until they've had one over the eight!

Are there any diabetics here (or you know of other diabetics) who've coped well in previous Christmases amongst "normal" friends and/or family members?

You'll do fine, just be sensible.

A cautionary tale is my dad. Thought he'd be fine on the tabs, didn't give a toss. Ended up insulin dependant. Take it easy now. You don't want what he has.
  • Options
    myssmyss Posts: 16,528
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My Dad's not one either, he's always been lean and my brother's a healthy weight now. Ironically I've put on a couple stones and currently losing them despite having a very low sugar level!! :D
    OP - as others have said, it's only one day, as long as you take your meds, you should be able to have what you like but in moderation.
    I'm not sure about Christmas Pudding as I don't eat or make it, but it's homemade so the maker (Mum ;)) will probably make it with sugar sweetener or other substances if need be to suit my Dad's tastes.
  • Options
    curvybabescurvybabes Posts: 13,223
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    my 12yr old son is diabetic, this will be his 2nd xmas he will have same things to eat as everyone else, sweets in moderation tho and takes extra insulin to cover the extra food, just takes practise and time to get used to things ... we are still learning, enjoy xmas x

i think xmas pudding is pretty high in sugars
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks everybody for all your friendly and helpful advice.

Merry Christmas to you all too!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,168
    Forum Member
    for some more practical advice, nothing wrong with eating christmas dinner is there, take advantage of things like sugar free custard, low fat low sugar versions of everything.

drink low carb drinks like brandy and diet coke.

and if you cant resist the choccies then take a few units of extra insulin and regually test your sugars so you can keep on top of things.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,675
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My daughter uses my parents exercise bike during christmas, levels come down nicely even after plenty of treats.
  • Options
    Lobelia OverhilLobelia Overhil Posts: 531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was diagnosed as type 2 diabetic a couple of years ago, I take my meds, get some exercise every day, and haven't had to change my diet much at all. My mmol could be a but lower, but I've only been taking 2 tablets a day (instead of 3) because they make me fairly sick unless I eat a decent meal with them, and since I only eat two decent meals a day...

I'll be eating normally at Christmas.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,179
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    this is my daughters 1st xmas as a type 1 diabetic, she's only three, so i am worrying slightly about what she's going to want to eat, we are only 7 weeks since diagnosis so i'm still learning the ropes an to top it all off she's starting a new insulin regime tomorrow. i'm trying not to stress about it but i cant help it.
  • Options
    scorpio manscorpio man Posts: 4,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A tip for the newly diagnosed diabetics, don't go scoffing to many diabetic chocolate(s) or you'll finish up being able to s**t through the eye of a needle.
    Been there, done that, got (had) the s**ty pants. :o
  • Options
    jabegyjabegy Posts: 6,201
    Forum Member
    I really feel for newly diagnosed diabetics especially those parents with newly diagnosed children. It's for want a better word frightening at first and more so a Christmas. My son was 22 months old when he was diagnosed on Dec. 11th 1982, I still remember the date. He was very ill and in hospital for 10 days, in which time I applied myself and learned how to inject him with insulin. To say I was terrified that first Christmas is a bit of an understatement, but and it's a big but ! he is now nearly 30, and healthy, with only a few blips along the way.

So what I would say is, don't worry, and don't deny yourself a few treats. It's very daunting but believe me, you will be fine. Everything in moderation as Malcom Muggeridge used to say.:) Happy Christmas.
  • Options
    mavis b sausagemavis b sausage Posts: 3,835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    this is my daughters 1st xmas as a type 1 diabetic, she's only three, so i am worrying slightly about what she's going to want to eat, we are only 7 weeks since diagnosis so i'm still learning the ropes an to top it all off she's starting a new insulin regime tomorrow. i'm trying not to stress about it but i cant help it.
    I hope it all goes well for you and your daughter, you will soon learn to recognise when she needs more or less food or insulin:) If you get really worried and stressed and cannot get immediate advice the safest course of action in the very short term is to lower the insulin dose very slightly. I hope you have a wonderful Christmas. Your little girl will be so excited that she will probably burn up more energy than usual:)
    To the OP: Don't worry, you will be fine, Mr. Sausage has been type 2 for 14 years and health wise it has been the making of him! he's slimmed down from very portly to spot on for his height and his blood sugar control is superb. He eats whatever he likes, whenever he likes:D The best advice I can give you is to spend some time working out which foods affect you the most, as it can vary hugely from person to person. For instance in Mr. S's case pizza dough is the worst, then pasta, then bread (specially brown), then rice, then potatoes. Actual sugar doesn't seem to have anything like the effect you would expect- he still takes lots in his tea! Insist on blood testing yourself, even if your GP says don't bother, it is the quickest and easiest way to work out what's best for YOU and once you know that you can eat what you like within reason:) The only thing I cannot comment on is alcohol as Mr. S is teetotal, perhaps somebody else can help with that one.
    Have a wonderful Christmas and feel free to enjoy all the delicious food on offer:)
  • Options
    epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    for some more practical advice, nothing wrong with eating christmas dinner is there, take advantage of things like sugar free custard, low fat low sugar versions of everything.

drink low carb drinks like brandy and diet coke.

and if you cant resist the choccies then take a few units of extra insulin and regually test your sugars so you can keep on top of things.

I think the OP is type 2, so not sure if he's on insulin, but I think that's the best advice. It's the perfect day of the year to leave the guilt behind and indulge a bit. Everything in moderation and definitely take advantage of the sugar-free, and low-carb stuff.
  • Options
    mozamoza Posts: 1,418
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To those type 2's who have been recently diagnosed, speak to your Doctor about going on a DESMOND course, if it's available in your area.

The best advice I can give you from that is that you can eat whatever you want in moderation and balance - basically, if you want those chocolates Auntie Marge has given you, have a couple after your dinner rather than scoffing down the whole box with a bottle of wine and the christmas movie! The idea is that eating a couple with a meal means you won't get the sharp spike in blood sugar you'd get from eating them alone.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd also add that going for a walk after your meal is a good way to help stave off BG spikes (weather permitting, of course!).

Merry Christmas, Franglais.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 681
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you're serious about controlling your diabetes Id recommend a low carb diet. If you are T2 you can control your diabetes with very little medication just by following a low carb regime. Plus you'll lose heaps of weight (not saying you're overweight, I lost weight too :D and Im type 1) and seriously minimise the risk for complications, or eliminate them altogether.

Id recommend this book http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dr-Bernsteins-Diabetes-Solution-Achieving/dp/0316167169/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1293009966&sr=8-1 if you want to go low carb. Even if you don't it provides some valuable insight into the disease, from the man who invented home blood monitoring and someone who has the disease also.

As for Christmas? Well, I keep my hba1c in the 4s and 5s all year round, Im having a day off on xmas day ;) But if you want advice, again Id go low carb. Keep the spuds to a minimum, skip dessert, drink things like Vodka instead of beer (a glass or two of red wine is good), have a low carb starter like a prawn salad.

As an aside, the real problem I found from having diabetes is that its hard to see how much damage you are doing to yourself in the here and now. My control was always pretty good, Id spike after meals following the high-carb BDA advice, but generally stay between 4-8 as recommended. The problem was that every spike was causing me harm (any BS over 7.7 causes damage). Even when I pointed this out to my Endo her response was "everybody spikes". But this isn't true. It felt like a slippery slope because while the complications came on gradually, they still came. Every visit there'd be slightly more damage, protein leakage, retinopathy, bloods changing. Yet Id still get congratulated on how well I was doing.

The book I linked was a god-send to me because it reinforced what Id found on me own : spiking like that isnt normal (id actually started skipping meals at that point to control the spikes). Once I started following the diet, my eye complications halted and even reversed a little (got told in Australia id need eye lasering in 6 months, that was 6 years ago), there is no more protein in my urine and I feel AMAZING.

Im having trouble getting all this through to my Mum who is also Type 1. She thinks she can take insulin to cover the spikes from chocolate etc, feels tired all the time, is showing complications but she won't listen :( Anyway hope some of this was a help, feel free to ask any more questions.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    skribbleuk wrote: »
    I I keep my hba1c in the 4s and 5s .

That's impressive.
  • Options
    Deb ArkleDeb Arkle Posts: 12,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Same here Harry, as you know Mini Deb was recently diagnosed too (she's 6). I'm more nervous about NYE though, as we'll be going out with the kids....I've become a hermit since she was diagnosed, I daren't go out anywhere!

If it's any help, we've just discovered that pistachio nuts actually lower BG levels - so keep some in as a between-meals snack if your little girl is likely to go high.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 681
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    epicurian wrote: »
    That's impressive.

Thanks, really the reward for feeling so much better makes it a lot easier.

The hardest part is nighttime, the "dawn effect" where your liver dumps glucose into the bloodstream is kind of hard to control, if solely by the fact Im out cold sleeping. Went to bed last night with BM at 5, usually my sugars would drop a little during the night, woke up at 6am with them up to 8, having eaten nothing and taking the same Levemir I always take.

Frustrating!
  • Options
    Deb ArkleDeb Arkle Posts: 12,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    skribbleuk wrote: »
    Thanks, really the reward for feeling so much better makes it a lot easier.

The only hard part is nighttime, the "dawn effect" where your liver dumps glucose into the bloodstream is kind of hard to control, if solely by the fact Im out cold sleeping. Went to bed last night with BM at 5, usually Id go a little low during the night, woke up at 6am with them up to 8, having eaten nothing and taking the same Levemir I always take.

Frustrating!
    I'm new to this - but I thought you only had a liver dump if you were dangerously low? Shouldn't you make your bedtime BG levels higher, if this happens regularly?