Options

Stair gates

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,030
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi everyone

I've got 2 kitties arriving soon :) I'm currently staying at my mums and dad has a habit of leaving all the doors open. I'm thinking of ways to stop the kits from escaping downstairs and off outside but can't think of anything other than a stairgate. I've got no idea how I'd stop them jumping over it or squeezing through the gaps! Any ideas?

Tia :)

Comments

• Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You won't stop them with stair gates the only thing you can do is close doors and make sure everyone else does the same.
  • Options
    susie-4964susie-4964 Posts: 23,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wemster wrote: »
    Hi everyone

I've got 2 kitties arriving soon :) I'm currently staying at my mums and dad has a habit of leaving all the doors open. I'm thinking of ways to stop the kits from escaping downstairs and off outside but can't think of anything other than a stairgate. I've got no idea how I'd stop them jumping over it or squeezing through the gaps! Any ideas?

Tia :)

Oddly enough, I used a collapsible Mothercare stairgate to keep our Maine **** in one room when we've got tradesmen in - I also close the door, but the stairgate is a belt-and-braces job in case someone forgets!

Mine is made of fabric, so there are no gaps. The Maine **** isn't a great jumper, and he's also very heavy, so he can't get a grip on it to climb, but enterprising kittens might manage it! If you use the stairgate as I do, secondary defence, and keep the door shut, it does at least give you a minute or so's grace before they figure it out.
  • Options
    cosmocosmo Posts: 26,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kittens are not as likely as puppies to bolt down the stairs and out the door. They are a little more cautious.

A meshed gate might be a little barrier to put them off but if they really want to climb it they will.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks everyone, will look into the mothercare one, failing that I'll have to try and train my dad to shut the doors :D