Options

Tesco Supermarket Run Out Of Plastic Bags

occyoccy Posts: 65,207
Forum Member
✭✭
Our local Tesco supermarket has run out of plastic bags. The store are given away the recycle bags for free today. I don't really care, but what a disgrace a multimillion pound company can't organise to order enough bags over the festive period.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who cares? If they are giving away the other bags for free then why does it matter? :confused:
  • Options
    rockerchickrockerchick Posts: 9,255
    Forum Member
    Who cares? If they are giving away the other bags for free then why does it matter? :confused:

This!
  • Options
    Dangerous.DaveDangerous.Dave Posts: 1,940
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The silly sods probably thought ordering fewer bags would be fine. In some Tescos you practically have to fight for a plastic bag, although they have slackened off a bit recently.

Get a grip you idiots global climate change has bugger all to do with man or tesco bags.

Cheers,
    DD
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 22,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Disgrace? Really?
  • Options
    4pounds644pounds64 Posts: 1,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The checkout lady is Asda told me this once. She reckoned they were only allowed so many per store per week.

I don't doubt what she'd been told, but I personally think it's to do with massaging their 'green' credentials. Would make sense considering over the christmas period they've probably got through millions of the 'evil plastic bags'.
    **Edit - come to think of it I remember supermarkets used to leave their cardboard boxes by the checkouts for people to use for their shopping if they wanted. They don't seem to do that anymore?

If it's to do with getting those horrible shrink wrapped trolley things they should market foldable crates for people to use instead of just bags. I reckon they'd make a killing.
  • Options
    CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The silly sods probably thought ordering fewer bags would be fine. In some Tescos you practically have to fight for a plastic bag, although they have slackened off a bit recently.

Get a grip you idiots global climate change has bugger all to do with man or tesco bags.

Cheers,
    DD

Yet another dig from someone about Tescos? How do you know it is their fault they could have been let down by a delivery from a supplier? They could have had a delivery of a faulty batch, these things do happen from time to time.

I cannot remember the last time I used a plastic bag in a supermarket, the things are as good useless anyway to carry anything in.

I am not one of your so called "idiots" who worry about environmental issues either, in fact quite the opposite. I much prefer the longer lasting, stronger, more comfortable bags made out of hessian or sacking type material.
  • Options
    555555 Posts: 4,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's standard Tesco policy - 'run out of something important at all times'. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,455
    Forum Member
    Could the OP be a PBU? There was someone who got banned on here who was obsessed with carrier bags.
  • Options
    JC_GTA2010JC_GTA2010 Posts: 2,226
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    occy wrote: »
    Our local Tesco supermarket has run out of plastic bags. The store are given away the recycle bags for free today. I don't really care, but what a disgrace a multimillion pound company can't organise to order enough bags over the festive period.

Does it really matter, you are getting free bags for life! Isn't that brilliant:rolleyes:

We had no food deliveries due to the snow a few weeks ago and we could not really open, so maybe there is problems with the delivery, why do people automatically assume it is the companies fault, when it could be something like this!
  • Options
    BirthdayGirlBirthdayGirl Posts: 64,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Homebase ran out of bags on Tuesday :(
  • Options
    kibblerokkibblerok Posts: 1,878
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What does it matter? You'll still shop there....
  • Options
    skunkboy69skunkboy69 Posts: 9,506
    Forum Member
    Do people really get annoyed by things like this ? They must be useless in a real crisis.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Same thing happened in my local Tescos a year ago. Can't say I gave it a second thought. Certainly didn't feel the need to start a thread about it!
  • Options
    Lobelia OverhilLobelia Overhil Posts: 531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For the last 20 years [or more] I've been taking my own bags with me when I go shopping
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yes, it happens sometimes.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What about cotton bags, surely they are bio-degradable?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whirliegig wrote: »
    yes, it happens sometimes.

:D Lovely response!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,803
    Forum Member
    They are really thin crap these days anyway, designed so the handles snap or the bottom falls out and smashes up your shopping. This then makes you buy some "green" bags.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,832
    Forum Member
    Why do people think a reduction in plastic bags is only about global climate change? The "environment" works on a much smaller scale, as well, you know. If fewer plastic bags are dumped into landfills or blow around town centres or end up in the sea or in lakes in this country, how is that a bad thing?
  • Options
    davidmcndavidmcn Posts: 12,112
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't really care, but what a disgrace

Make your mind up, man! Do you not care, or is it a disgrace?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 250
    Forum Member
    Supermarkets pretend that it is all about the green credentials etc but actually each store gets a set budget for expenses and items such as plastic bags can be a big expenditure for a store. They have tried to push bags for life by saying it is for the environment but it is also to help out their budgets - people buy the stronger "bags for life" and the shops need less plastic bags. So something supermarkets used to pay for and provide free to customers now the customers are actually buying the sturdier bags and need fewer plastic bags = win win for the supermarkets. It is a good PR excercise as it makes the supermarket look like it cares about the environment, but it is even better financially as it must save them a fortune!

OP, you might find that your supermarket didnt order as many as they should because they didn't have the money in the budget for that. Although, they will lose more giving out the "bags for life", which actually are better bags and more sturdier for heavy shopping so it was actually a bonus for you as you did not have to pay for them!

afx237vi wrote: »
    Why do people think a reduction in plastic bags is only about global climate change? The "environment" works on a much smaller scale, as well, you know. If fewer plastic bags are dumped into landfills or blow around town centres or end up in the sea or in lakes in this country, how is that a bad thing?

Excellent post! I would rather see fewer plastic bags used, mainly because I am sick of seeing them stuck in hedgerows or caught in trees!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,182
    Forum Member
    This happened at my local tesco and they just gave out the 9 pence industrial strength bags out for free instead. It actually got me onto using them more often as they are more sturdy and you can cram more in them than the flimsy ones they provide for free these days.
  • Options
    crazychris12crazychris12 Posts: 26,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Agreed and don't know why people are making fun of you. It's a disgrace.:mad: They should order enough.
  • Options
    GlenGlen Posts: 12,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Agreed and don't know why people are making fun of you. It's a disgrace.:mad: They should order enough.
    Or customers could just take means to carry their purchases with them.
    It isn't the law that they must provide free bags.