Daybreak - New Look from Jan 3rd

Comments

• RijowhiRijowhi Posts: 1,062
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tvworld101 wrote: »
    Local news has moved to 6:10 / 7:10 and 8:10 following the national news. We could also see some new presenters. IE, Sport and Showbiz. Format could also have changed.

I think moving the Regional News to after the National News is a good decision. After all the National and Regional News programmes are always together throughout the rest of the day...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 452
    Forum Member
    And the new logo is: http://up.metropol247.co.uk/030293/new%20daybreak%20logo.jpg

Personally I hate it, but it may grow on me. Wonder is there will be any graphic changes!

Live blog on the new look and new format,
    http://thetvworld.org/archives/407
  • soilhoofsoilhoof Posts: 753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If all the channels dropped their whiter and more right wing than Blyton approach we'd all be better off - BBC Breakfast are a raised eyebrow away from asking "just what is the internet?" every morning. Channel 4 Daily failed but had the right, minimalist, idea; informed, normal looking presenters delivering comment and reportage succinctly. As we force our bloated, blinking forms out the door to work we don't want svelte minxes or strapping, pastel-clad Adonii (or grumpy foetuses) waxing imbecilically about trivial nonsense 'That's Life' would have rejected - or social comment Enoch Powell would have stopped short at.
  • neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ivor Fanny wrote: »
    Might be a good idea. Remember when they showed Batman and Happy Days when TV-am was on strike- the ratings increased.

Ohhhhhh, Cat Woman, purrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrfect start to the morning...Eartha Kitt :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXrLJEN0jAQ so much nicer than being force fed depressing news or listening to people who really don't want to be interviewed at that time of the day.
  • thisisAdamthisisAdam Posts: 156
    Forum Member
    With the new orange set and logo It's getting more and more like GMTV.
  • James68James68 Posts: 428
    Forum Member
    thisisAdam wrote: »
    With the new orange set and logo It's getting more and more like GMTV.

Saw this by chance this morning - I thought it was GMTV!
    Forum Member
    Will upload a full video shortly with all included.
  • StevenNTStevenNT Posts: 2,879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Out of interest is STV HD now showing Daybreak or are they still unable to show it and instead show a back at 9.25am caption, also is it the same for UTV HD?

If can't show it in HD for what ever reason (legacy of franchise issues or something else) can't they just upscale it as it's on STV/UTV in SD anyway ?
  • DVDfeverDVDfever Posts: 18,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Thanks for the upload. On the basis of the new look, there's little else that's changed to it. Still, getting rid of A&C is a plus and even though I'm not a big fan of Kate Garraway's, the bits of Daybreak I've seen before show that her and Dan Lobb get on well together so they're the best choice to host it (I voted as such on the other Daybreak link)
  • itvthebillitvthebill Posts: 11
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't call this a revamp of the show. It was basically the same with just changing the logo background to yellow. Most of the programme was the same with the usual news, weather, sport and entertianment news. Though I think they have got rid of the "Great, it's 5 to 8" feature and changed it to the latest entertainment news which is better.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry but I can't take credit for the upload. Someone else beat me to it.
    However, it's hardly a major overhaul is it?!
    Forum Member
    Here a video I uploaded with More of the set on show... and graphics
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Yrl8CSs8XI&feature=youtu.be
  • PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't think Kate and Dan would get the top job ... I thought they were going to bring in new people.
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a feeling this programme may be beyond help
  • happy tvhappy tv Posts: 1,708
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Porcupine wrote: »
    I didn't think Kate and Dan would get the top job ... I thought they were going to bring in new people.

They will probably make small changes and examine ratings for the next few months. If ratings go up, they may keep Dan and Kate as main presenters, if they continue to go down, they will be looking elsewhere. It all remains to be seen
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    happy tv wrote: »
    They will probably make small changes and examine ratings for the next few months. If ratings go up, they may keep Dan and Kate as main presenters, if they continue to go down, they will be looking elsewhere. It all remains to be seen
    And if ratings remain pretty constant, but still low .......
  • dazbdazb Posts: 3,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw a bit of it this morning having got in from work Dan was getting stuck with his words a bit and even confessed to saying he isnt a good presenter, they seemed to do ok apart from that a lot better than watching Giles.
  • KIIS102KIIS102 Posts: 8,539
    Forum Member
    GMTV was great for ITV unfortunately they don't understand the 'If it ain't broke, don't fix it" motto. Infact they probably have their own version "if it ain't broke, fix is it until it is"
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dazb wrote: »
    I saw a bit of it this morning having got in from work Dan was getting stuck with his words a bit and even confessed to saying he isnt a good presenter, they seemed to do ok apart from that a lot better than watching Giles.

It was because Adrian was getting stuck with his words that the viewers didn't like him. Just because Dan is easier on the eye, he is forgiven by the shallow viewers ( I don't mean you but viewers in general). I think he is a weak presenter but that doesn't seem to matter because alot of women watching seem to think he is good looking.
  • PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    happy tv wrote: »
    It was because Adrian was getting stuck with his words that the viewers didn't like him. Just because Dan is easier on the eye, he is forgiven by the shallow viewers ( I don't mean you but viewers in general). I think he is a weak presenter but that doesn't seem to matter because alot of women watching seem to think he is good looking.

I was one of those women, until i realised that HE knew he was good looking. All the flirting to the camera and cheesy grins became a complete turn off.

I think he is an OK presenter, and i find him better than John Stapleton who says 'urm' 'arh' every two seconds. But i wish they would have a complete revamp. Get rid of the lot of them and try out other people. Make the show a little more serious.
  • mike1948mike1948 Posts: 2,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The BBC is about to award Daybreak a welcome advantage by relocating Breakfast to Manchester.

I cannot imagine many American celebs visiting London for a film premiere will want to journey up north the previous day to be interviewed on the sofa, then have to go back to London. This is why ITV relocated This Morning to London from Liverpool.

This is not an anti-north post - it is right that some BBC TV progs are made there. Only that BBC Breakfast deals with news and current affairs, plus showbiz, and there is far more happening in all of these fields in London than Manchester.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mike1948 wrote: »
    The BBC is about to award Daybreak a welcome advantage by relocating Breakfast to Manchester.

I cannot imagine many American celebs visiting London for a film premiere will want to journey up north the previous day to be interviewed on the sofa, then have to go back to London. This is why ITV relocated This Morning to London from Liverpool.

This is not an anti-north post - it is right that some BBC TV progs are made there. Only that BBC Breakfast deals with news and current affairs, plus showbiz, and there is far more happening in all of these fields in London than Manchester.

I think that people in general like the news focus of Breakfast and that won't change. The celeb interviews can be done beforehand and shown.
  • James30James30 Posts: 5,201
    Forum Member
    The thing is TV has to be watched and people don't have time before work to do that, they are busy getting ready for work/school/college, the only people who can sit and watch breakfast TV are those coming home from the night shift.

Radio is different and that's what people turn to, where you can listen while you get ready to go out for work/school/college

I think ITV should look at bitesize segment programming that can be watched quickly without it being drawn out in a magazine format, music videos are one idea that can be made into a show, how about classic music videos rather than current music videos that you would get on VIVA and 4Music.

ITV really do need to move away from this 'celeb' fixation, the amount of times i can watch a classic drama on ITV3 and in the ad break up pops a 'celeb' news update, i fail to see why that is included on a channel targeted at mature viewers.
    Forum Member
    I think Kate should stay as a lead role but Dan is better suited to Sport, maybe the Thursday/Friday shows. Who could replace Dan? Nick Dixon, Andrew Castle, Stephan Dixon, Colin Brazier, Matt Barbet, John Stapleton. I would pick one of those!