Options

How do you get rid of a verruca?

Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,753
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I've got a nasty verruca on my foot, it's quite big and I've had it for a few years. It's never bothered me before so I've just left it alone, but recently it's become quite painful when I put weight on it. I've tried everything to get rid of it, Bazzuka, Wartner, I've dabbed it with tea tree oil etc. Nothing has touched it. I went to a chiropodist for something else, but she tried to get rid of it with chemicals and it didn't work.

It's getting on my nerves now. It hurts and it looks disgusting. I'm also paranoid about spreading it to other people.

Is there any way I can get rid of it that I've not tried?

Comments

• Options
    MarzBar85MarzBar85 Posts: 15,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Doctors where I used to live treated it with dry ice and froze it. Try going to the Docs and see if you can get some stronger treatment?
  • Options
    wildmovieguywildmovieguy Posts: 8,342
    Forum Member
    You'll never get to play footsie with a man unless you get it seen to quick!
  • Options
    mike1948mike1948 Posts: 2,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had one years ago and it was burnt out under local anaesthetic in the hospital out-patients dept.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,442
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Covering it with a big plaster or tape so air doesn't get to it should make it die and drop off, especially if you keep removing the whitened bits as you go along. Not for the squeamish though :o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 675
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had one that like yours was there for several years causing no pain then it started hurting.

I used bazooka but it took months - you didn't say how long you've tried them for? I think it was getting on for about 4 months of digging out the dead stuff, applying more gel and covering it before I finally got to the core. It took some dedication but its never come back (and that was about 5 years ago!)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40,102
    Forum Member
  • Options
    Deb ArkleDeb Arkle Posts: 12,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yup. I had a big monster on my foot this time last year, it took 2 - 3 months of keeping it covered with duct tape and it was gone - completely painless, too. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 115
    Forum Member
    file it to with in an inch of its life (till is bleeds or you get too sore) then Wartner it for longer than it say on the tin. do that two or three times plus bazucca high strength. I swim lots and pick one up once in a while.
  • Options
    Bob_1971Bob_1971 Posts: 476
    Forum Member
    I used to do a lot of swimming, and my feet had loads of them from toe to heel.The usual chemicals like Bazooka didn't work, so the doctor froze them with nitrogen or something like that - which got rid of the smaller ones.

Did nothing for the larger ones, but my doctor said that 'eventually they will go away by themselves' and he was spot on. Just took another couple of years waiting! ;)
  • Options
    curvybabescurvybabes Posts: 13,223
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bob_1971 wrote: »
    I used to do a lot of swimming, and my feet had loads of them from toe to heel.The usual chemicals like Bazooka didn't work, so the doctor froze them with nitrogen or something like that - which got rid of the smaller ones.

Did nothing for the larger ones, but my doctor said that 'eventually they will go away by themselves' and he was spot on. Just took another couple of years waiting! ;)

same thing happened with me & my son ... maybe noy years but felt like it lol
  • Options
    Tom_TitTom_Tit Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    I had one and nothing shifted it. Tried all sorts from the chemist but no joy. I had it for about 5 years.

I went to see the doctors and they sprayed it with liquid nitrogen i think it was and i kid you not it was gone within a couple of days.

Superb. Seriously this nitrogen stuff does the business. I advise anybody to go for it rather than piss about paying for stuff that are useless.
  • Options
    FranglaisFranglais Posts: 3,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it possible to buy this liquid nitrogen OTC at the chemists' or is it classified as POM?
  • Options
    Tom_TitTom_Tit Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    Franglais wrote: »
    Is it possible to buy this liquid nitrogen OTC at the chemists' or is it classified as POM?

No idea. I'd never heard of it until they blasted my foot with it.

I doubt you'd be able to get your hands on that though unless you are in the healthcare profession.

Just ask your docs for it. My verucca was a right big ugly bleeder and it shifted that no trouble.
  • Options
    curvybabescurvybabes Posts: 13,223
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    no think u have to get it at docs its like a blow torch thing they spray it with .... works great tho
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,785
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Our GP gets a delivery of dry ice once a month and used it on my daughters huge verucca. It was the size of 5p piece and after only one treatment it has almost gone. I'm impressed, I thought it would take 4 or 5 goes but I reckonone more and the blighter will be gone.

Go to your GP, OP. It's pretty painless and only takes a second. We were out of the doctors office after only a few minutes.
  • Options
    MarzBar85MarzBar85 Posts: 15,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    itwasn'tme wrote: »
    Our GP gets a delivery of dry ice once a month and used it on my daughters huge verucca. It was the size of 5p piece and after only one treatment it has almost gone. I'm impressed, I thought it would take 4 or 5 goes but I reckonone more and the blighter will be gone.

Go to your GP, OP. It's pretty painless and only takes a second. We were out of the doctors office after only a few minutes.
    You might have to push for this treatment. For some reason at my old Doctors you mentioned verucca, they treated it this way. At the 'new' place, you mention verucca they'll prescribe something like Bazuka.
  • Options
    RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Banana peel bandaged to my foot over night - did it for a week, verruca dropped off and 11 years on I've (touch wood) never had one since!!
  • Options
    Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Banana peel bandaged to my foot over night - did it for a week, verruca dropped off and 11 years on I've (touch wood) never had one since!!

Really?:eek: I've heard tha tone before and thought it was just and old wives tale. Someone suggested rubbing it with bacon rind, burying it in the garden, and then when it rots the verruca drops off :D. I might try the banana one though, I'll try anything its annoying me so much.

I do file it down with a pumice most days. But it just seems to get rid of the dead skin and nothing else. I've had smaller verrucas before and Bazzuka has always shifted them, not this one though.
  • Options
    MartinPickeringMartinPickering Posts: 3,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Many years ago I removed one with a hot soldering iron*. To say "it hurt" is an understatement. Afterwards the foot and leg got infected and I had to take antibiotics for a week. Mind you, the verruca never returned!

*Don't try this at home, kiddies.
  • Options
    RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really?:eek: I've heard tha tone before and thought it was just and old wives tale. Someone suggested rubbing it with bacon rind, burying it in the garden, and then when it rots the verruca drops off :D. I might try the banana one though, I'll try anything its annoying me so much.

I do file it down with a pumice most days. But it just seems to get rid of the dead skin and nothing else. I've had smaller verrucas before and Bazzuka has always shifted them, not this one though.

Honestly - I was going on my first holiday in 1999 and wanted to get rid of verruca I'd had for ages.

Dad trussed my foot up in bandage and banana peel (sticky side on verruca) every night for a week and it disappeared - I've never had one since :eek:
  • Options
    DarthchaffinchDarthchaffinch Posts: 7,558
    Forum Member
    Thuja tablets - you notice a difference in less than 1 week! It doesn't get rid of them, but does shrink them rapidly!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B002QWGX9W/ref=asc_df_B002QWGX9W1556592?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&tag=googlecouk06-21&linkCode=asn&creative=22206&creativeASIN=B002QWGX9W
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,845
    Forum Member
    Many years ago I removed one with a hot soldering iron*. To say "it hurt" is an understatement. Afterwards the foot and leg got infected and I had to take antibiotics for a week. Mind you, the verruca never returned!

*Don't try this at home, kiddies.

Yes, i've never had one but my papa did some self-surgery on his with a pen knife (no infection, he's had basic medical training) because he couldn't be fussed with the doctors.

Wouldn't recommend it for everyone.
  • Options
    amw_99amw_99 Posts: 352
    Forum Member
    I waited with plasters on mine, then did the same in effect as stumping my toe, but stumping my heel (foot slipped on the base of a chair) and it fell off.

Eww, yes, but worked. Wouldn't suggest actually trying it though :S
  • Options
    izanamiizanami Posts: 2,788
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I got rid of mine with duct tape. It took 6 days to get rid of.
  • Options
    Deb ArkleDeb Arkle Posts: 12,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    izanami wrote: »
    I got rid of mine with duct tape. It took 6 days to get rid of.

Wow, mine took 2 - 3 months with duct tape - but it was a biggie, it was about a year old, roughly 1cm diameter and had resisted extra strength Bazuka & the freezing spray.