The Voice UK could kill off X Factor - IF executed properly

shaggy_xshaggy_x Posts: 3,599
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I'm sure theres room for both of these shows in the UK market, but if the Beeb execute this properly, I can quite honestly see the end of X Factor UK in a couple of years.

I dont care about which artist gets to number one which has the longer lasting chart appeal etc, but as long as we're entertained I'm sure Cowell will have a lot to worry about!

Comments

• spkxspkx Posts: 14,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The X Factor will no doubt end in a couple of years anyway, regardless of the voice. It's in its 9th year now.
  • TyjetTyjet Posts: 8,509
    Forum Member
    The Voice will have to make sure it doesn't kill of itself before it even starts first.
  • sp2011sp2011 Posts: 1,193
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope it kills off The X Factor :D
  • SamthefootballSamthefootball Posts: 4,420
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    spkx wrote: »
    The X Factor will no doubt end in a couple of years anyway, regardless of the voice. It's in its 9th year now.

I doubt it will end if the ratings are good. If not it will. I don't think the voice will kill X Factor.
  • mrprossermrprosser Posts: 2,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope they all crash and burn, and we can then get to some proper TV, rather than some semi talented wannabees singing and then filming sob story segments to show between songs
  • Sun Tzu.Sun Tzu. Posts: 19,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The X Factor will keep going if it keeps getting solid ratings.

It happens every year. People doubt the X Factor. Then it starters, they get a real controversial character/s (Jedward, Wagner, Frankie Cocozza) and then it gets people talking. Just look at the X Factor forum when the show starts and gets into the live shows. People take it so seriously and insult the controversial characters so much it is laughable.

The question for The Voice is can they offer fun and controversy at the same time? Can they keep the audience interested? I am not too sure if they can. A lot of people who watch these shows just want a laugh and to sit down and enjoy themselves.
  • thenetworkbabethenetworkbabe Posts: 45,618
    Forum Member
    shaggy_x wrote: »
    I'm sure theres room for both of these shows in the UK market, but if the Beeb execute this properly, I can quite honestly see the end of X Factor UK in a couple of years.

I dont care about which artist gets to number one which has the longer lasting chart appeal etc, but as long as we're entertained I'm sure Cowell will have a lot to worry about!

X factor is in trouble anyway.

The question with the voice is the "if executed properly". So far it sounds a mess. From some reports they didn't work out/restrict who could apply - so reportedly some of the best singers in the country with stage careers/top qualifications and experience singing rock and pop alongside past greats, have turned up for the voice - and been turned down. They may be pre-selecting much as the X factor would. They also have a terribly weak judging panel with little credibility as a whole - which reportedly has looked even sillier turning down better qualified singers. Its a gimick that offers more credible singers and more focus on the singing, but its questionable if it will provide anything different.

The BBC already did have a more credible format with Fame Academy - where they could show the singers learning about singing technique/music and show songs being arranged and teh students learning about the business, but they abandoned that because it was deemed to be too much like X factor. The voice looks like a much closer relative to X factor.
  • Sun Tzu.Sun Tzu. Posts: 19,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It will be interesting to just see how consistent the voice is in the ratings compared to BGT or X Factor and see if it can get higher ratings consistently. One good show will not prove it is a success obviously. But they seem to be talking it up big time from the judges (coaches), which you would expect but it will be interesting to see if there is any reality behind the words.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 427
    Forum Member
    after watching the US voice last year and getting so excited for the UK one, I just completely fell out of touch with the X factor, just couldnt take it seriously anymore. But I think it was more of the new judging panel which lets face it, just didnt work. As well the continued bickering which was seirously grating, I mean the whole danni and louis vs simon and cheryl thing the year before was fustrating enough, and then they continued it with louis and tulisa versus gary and kelly. Which was absolutely ridiculous because you could tell how so much of it was set up and fake. These peopl are professionals and not meant to be acting like children. On top of that, we had frankie coccoza and I just could not stand it anymore. I will give X factor another chance this year, because its a great show when there is great talent, but the voice has definately over shadowed it for good.

Essentially x factor wont get killed off, its still a massive show, but I have no doubt itll lose viewers year on year unless things change
  • iluvdanniiiluvdannii Posts: 3,147
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    what are people on about say the coaches aren't credible! do u know anything about music!?
  • happy tvhappy tv Posts: 1,708
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think that once you have seen the Voice blind auditions once, you have seen them. They become tedious after a while and I think a show like this will only do well for one season and will start to decline from there- it has to have more to it.
    The reason that BGT and X factor have lasted so long is due to the humour and crazy acts- you need more than a voice to entertain the public
  • K2rayK2ray Posts: 515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    happy tv wrote: »
    I think that once you have seen the Voice blind auditions once, you have seen them. They become tedious after a while and I think a show like this will only do well for one season and will start to decline from there- it has to have more to it.
    The reason that BGT and X factor have lasted so long is due to the humour and crazy acts- you need more than a voice to entertain the public

The Voice will be going into 3rd seasons in Holland/USA, and second in Germany/France. This is not a one season show.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Voice will not kill off X Factor. It will share the same audience and the BBC can only hope to get X Factor number of viewers.

If you hate the X Factor for being 'karaoke' you certainly won't like The Voice. It's as simple as that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jackbell wrote: »
    The Voice will not kill off X Factor. It will share the same audience and the BBC can only hope to get X Factor number of viewers.

If you hate the X Factor for being 'karaoke' you certainly won't like The Voice. It's as simple as that.

@jackbell, you have to admit with the inclusion of acts with management contracts and the omission of acts who can't sing at the blind audition stage that the talent will be overall better than an Xfactor.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    K2ray wrote: »
    @jackbell, you have to admit with the inclusion of acts with management contracts and the omission of acts who can't sing at the blind audition stage that the talent will be overall better than an Xfactor.

I'm looking forward to finding out. Should be a good show - my only issue is the BBC pomposity about it.
  • shaggy_xshaggy_x Posts: 3,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    on the other hand, The Voice could well get the same treatment on the Beeb as So You Think You Can Dance or Fame Academy. The reason X Factor has lasted so long is the inclusion of 'wacky', and 'controversial' acts which consistently become the talking point year after year. I think the Voice needs some element of that otherwise it could also easily go the same way as Fame Academy.
  • iluvdanniiiluvdannii Posts: 3,147
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think The Voice needs any of the 'stupid' acts or the 'controversy' if people want a pantomime then there is XF for that! this is meant to be different! and hopefully we'll be entertained by talent not novelty acts. I fear that the uk is so used to a 'soap opera' talent show that The Voice will be too 'credible' for people! for instance in America, Idol has always been primarily about the singing and music therefore they have taken to The Voice a lot quicker and easier. where as were used to drama's & jedwards.
  • Metal MickeyMetal Mickey Posts: 1,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In many ways The Voice's success will come down to the "casting", on the coaches' side and the performers'. The US version got the coaches right first time, they all have something to bring to the show, and they have great chemistry with each other and the contestants... Blake, who I'd never heard of before last year, is actually the best coach, that's why I suspect Dannyfromthescript might be a dark horse - out of the thousands of people the BBC could have chosen, they went with him, so I suspect he might be especially good/funny onscreen. We'll find out soon enough...

X-Factor still has some life in it in the UK, mostly because of the relationship that SyCo has with the UK press - while they can still feed The Sun et al their Jedward/Chico/Frankie/Katie stories 7 days a week, it'll remain a talking point... one reason the US version underperformed is because there wasn't that kind of press for (say) Astro, designed to drag in the casual viewers, who were happy to wait for American Idol to start up again...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    roflmao
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The One Show is doing The Voice @ 7pm with Sir Tom.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The One Show is doing The Voice @ 7pm with Sir Tom.

Looks good!
  • AbrielAbriel Posts: 8,525
    Forum Member
    Tom's on with Chris Evans right now. Sounds not quite awake, bless him
  • RetrospectiveRetrospective Posts: 3,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm looking forward to watching this on Saturday. i like the whole idea of the singer singing and not being seen by the judges. Hopefully this programme will rise above the sob stories that go on with the X factor and BGT.
    Just looking at the new tv book and the voice starts at 7pm and BGT starts at 7.20pm. I'm not watching BGT as out of principal I'm sick of simon and all the publicity with amanda holden milking that near death door with the birth story and appearing about a week latter showing off her back to shape figure.
    No simon is like tesco. they both think and have a monopoply on everything. Someone needs to knock simon off his pearch and i hope its the voice.
  • GreenJellyJamGreenJellyJam Posts: 1,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    happy tv wrote: »

I like the Xfactor and sometimes BGT but I don't like the auditions because they choose people just to laugh and mock them, and i don't like that bit as it's cruel.

I'm looking foward to the Voice, and I hope it's good.
  • bookclub10bookclub10 Posts: 4,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the idea of the blind auditions is good but then again there weren't many contestants on the x factor for the last 2 years that were chosen on looks.
    Most of the contestants were chosen on the combination of their voice and backstory i.e. Misha, Mary Byrne, Craig etc
    I see with the Irish version that the contestants seemed to be chosen on their voice but are being kept in/ voted off by the public according to looks!
    Hopefully there won't be any sob stories etc with the BBC but the US seem to have added them in this year. Also the British media will add as many back stories as they can so this may affect the voting when it goes to live shows.
    The chemistry with the coaches will also be a feature in the success of the show but hopefully we'll be spared the x factor type spats. The Irish coaches have the chemistry right imo, but it remains to be seen how the BBC coaches will be perceived.
    I do find it a bit worrying however that all the early press is very ratings orientated and it seems the show is trying to prove it's so different to other talent shows. It's still a talent show where the public vote and the coaches save an act from the bottom 2 in their group.