Options

What are you reading at the moment? (Part 4)

Comments

• Options
    goldberry1goldberry1 Posts: 2,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    goldberry1 wrote: »
    Skeleton Key - Stephen King

Have read this collection of short stories before but had forgotten how good they are.

ps If you are about to go swimming you don't want to read The Raft which is one of them :eek:

Actually its Skeleton Crew - I got it mixed up with Dumas Key:yawn:
  • Options
    dymafidymafi Posts: 775
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I finished The Good Soldier by Ford Maddox Ford. Have to say I struggled a bit with it. The book does a great job of pulling you in right away but I struggled with the non-linear narative. I don't know if it was because I was reading it in hospital and kept getting interuppted but I found it had to keep the chronology clear in my head and some of the lesser characters passed me by.

There's not a lot to like about any of the characters, or at least not for me and the whole unreliable narrator got on my nerves after a while. A cautionaty tale about the dangers of Victorian sexual repression and keeping up appearences. Interesting but not gripping....and there's no soldiering in it at all!

Onwards and upwards with Joseph Conrad's Lord Jim.

I've just finished The Good Soldier too and your comments summarises my feelings exactly .. and I had no excuse .. not in hospital ! Hope you are feeling better !
  • Options
    Beautiful_HarvBeautiful_Harv Posts: 9,144
    Forum Member
    Chevy Stevens- Still Missing
  • Options
    SHAFTSHAFT Posts: 4,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anno Dracula: The Bloody Red Baron by Kim Newman. Brilliant read so far.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,187
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Back today from a week in the sun and managed to read 4 and half books whilst sunning myself by the pool. Very tough week as you can imagine!

Anyway, books read were:

XO by Jeffrey Deaver
    As if by Magic by Kerry Wilkinson
    Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn (absolutely brilliant)
    The Escape Artist by Diane Chamberlain

Also halfway through 77 Days in September by Ray Gorham

All really good reads, and also managed to break the 100 books read barrier on my Kindle so quite pleased about that too!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,035
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Rozabal Line by Ashwin Sanghi. Can't get into it at all and finding it very confusing but I will not give up
  • Options
    Miss HavershamMiss Haversham Posts: 877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ploughing through "Mockingjay" cannot wait to finish it since I am impatiently waiting to start either "The Mistborn Trilogy" or Book 4 from a "A Song of Fire & Ice"
  • Options
    MrstimmyMrstimmy Posts: 1,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fall of Giants. 11% in so far and really enjoying it.
  • Options
    IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Land of Stories: The Wishing Spell by Chris Colfer. I may not be the right age group for it, but I am enjoying it nonetheless.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Rozabal line is done, just started 1st to Die by James Patterson. I'm enjoying it so far, but I have it on kindle and it's so hard to read, random sentences are turning into paragraphs, I's are coming up as 1s, taking a lot of concentration but it's good none the less! Perks of being a student means I get to take advantage of soaking up the sun and reading ha ha
  • Options
    TeddybleadsTeddybleads Posts: 6,814
    Forum Member
    dymafi wrote: »
    I've just finished The Good Soldier too and your comments summarises my feelings exactly .. and I had no excuse .. not in hospital ! Hope you are feeling better !

Glad to know it wasn't just me and I'm in fighting form thanks for asking.
  • Options
    Beautiful_HarvBeautiful_Harv Posts: 9,144
    Forum Member
    Stuart MacBride- Broken Skin
  • Options
    chrono88chrono88 Posts: 3,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Finished "To Kill a Mockingbird". A breath of fresh air because the previous book I read was 50 shades of Grey :p

lots of amazing quotes for us to memorise and understand their meanings.
  • Options
    mrsdaisychainmrsdaisychain Posts: 3,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just read Holiday sos by Ben McFarlane, he is a doctor that travels out to repatriate those abroad that have had an illness or accident while on holiday.
    It was a really good read, quite funny at times but also sad.
    No messing about with stories or his medical training etc, straight to his first job and he kept the stories coming.
    It was quite hard to put down it was so interesting,.
    It was worth every penny.
  • Options
    dymafidymafi Posts: 775
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Finished S J Watson's Before I Go to Sleep. Well written nonsense! Good for a light read over summer .. but very implausible and there's distinct lack of tension .. one of those over-hyped bestsellers to be filed or binned in the same category as The Da Vinci Code, those Mayer werewolf tales and these Shade of Grey books that ladies seem to be raviong about !:eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just started Along Came a Spider by James Patterson. Never read an Alex Cross book before and I'm enjoying it
  • Options
    abigail1234abigail1234 Posts: 1,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dymafi wrote: »
    Finished S J Watson's Before I Go to Sleep. Well written nonsense! Good for a light read over summer .. but very implausible and there's distinct lack of tension .. one of those over-hyped bestsellers to be filed or binned in the same category as The Da Vinci Code, those Mayer werewolf tales and these Shade of Grey books that ladies seem to be raviong about !:eek:

"Before I Go To Sleep" was one of my favourite reads so far this year. I thought it had plenty of tension. I didn't realise until afterwards that it was a bestseller - it was recommended to me by someone who had enjoyed it. I definitely don't agree with your categorisation :p
  • Options
    GrecomaniaGrecomania Posts: 19,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Heartsick, by Chelsea Cain, finding it hard to warm to the characters, so far, but it seem's interesting.
  • Options
    Lion_60Lion_60 Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    Patriot Games by Tom Clancy.
  • Options
    kira neryskira nerys Posts: 942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Heartsick, by Chelsea Cain, finding it hard to warm to the characters, so far, but it seem's interesting.

I really like this series,although I cant help but think Ms. Cain is a little disturbed:)
  • Options
    kira neryskira nerys Posts: 942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have just finished The burning soul by John Connolly,and The 12th victim by Katia Leif,and am now reading The treatment by Mo Hayder
  • Options
    GrecomaniaGrecomania Posts: 19,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kira nerys wrote: »
    I really like this series,although I cant help but think Ms. Cain is a little disturbed:)

Only seventy pages into it, and I can tell there'll be some deep-seated reasons for people being unlikable, even more than i know already. So looking forward, with a bit of dread, to the rest of it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Life Sentences by Laura Lipman. Okish but probably won't read any more of hers.
  • Options
    nagel84nagel84 Posts: 13,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whatever by Michel Houellebecq
  • Options
    CamisCamis Posts: 13,552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just finished A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness - bloomin' brilliant!