"Wild" Al Kelly

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 23
Forum Member
Does anybody know if former Talk Radio UK overnight naughty boy Al Kelly is currently on the airwaves? Somebody on the forum mentioned he sometimes goes under the name of Tony Staples.

I haven't heard him since his Real Yorkshire days 3 or 4 years ago.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24
    Forum Member
    He's not at the moment, although I heard a rumour he is in talks with Sirius in the States. Home of Howard Stern.

They have spoken to him about filling in when Bubba the Love Sponge takes time off in May.

Anyone else heard this rumour???
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 321
    Forum Member
    He's not at the moment, although I heard a rumour he is in talks with Sirius in the States. Home of Howard Stern.

They have spoken to him about filling in when Bubba the Love Sponge takes time off in May.

Anyone else heard this rumour???
    You're not HIM are you Overnight Guy? Where did you 'hear' this rumour? I've got some Wild Al Kelly on cassette somewhere - used to make me laugh on TRUK.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24
    Forum Member
    Me Al? Nah Just a bloke on nights for Tesco that used to also listen to him.
  • R300R300 Posts: 2,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also went under the name of Ed Linton, on his days on the Trax FM tests in Doncaster. Anyone who know the area will know he named himself after the town of Edlington to make a slight play on words..........
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My favourite was Scott Shannon's Old School Lunch on Galaxy 105-106...
  • djgeezadjgeeza Posts: 1,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's an Al Kelly producing breakfast at Galaxy Yorkshire? Don't know if it's the same guy.
  • RAY VONRAY VON Posts: 606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is, yep.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 416
    Forum Member
    Would add up as he was working for Real Yorkshire up until a few months ago.

Also used to go under the name "Bradley Stokes".
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 23
    Forum Member
    Why all the names? Surely that damages your career. Or, at least, it doesn't help.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 83
    Forum Member
    On one station I heard he used the name Phil Mytum. Is this true or just a Wild Al rumour??

Any more news on The Sirius Gig??
    Forum Member
    Was Al Kelly's only national gig on Talk Radio UK? Seems a crying shame if so.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 352
    Forum Member
    Ed-Write wrote:
    Was Al Kelly's only national gig on Talk Radio UK? Seems a crying shame if so.

Ooh I don't know about that. He was as bland as white emulsion on Real Radio.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,857
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ooh I don't know about that. He was as bland as white emulsion on Real Radio.

Find some clips of him on the internet from his few weeks there. He was far from bland. I know everyone mentions the "I've lost my bollocks" crank call to Chicago airport but that has to be one of the funniest things I have ever heard on the radio.

Why don't talkSPORT bring him back they have with Terry Christian who was also sacked. I doubt the current management have any problem with him.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 105
    Forum Member
    Having worked with him on a RSL I can tell you he's a nice bloke, he used the name Tony Staples then.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,857
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is the madness of talkSPORT.

They could have a presenter who did about 3 months of programmes which are still talked about 12 years later but instead they have Gaunt/Mendoza/James Max.
    Forum Member
    Call me naive, but I still think using several different DJ names can't be very beneficial!

And isn't the point about Talksport that it doesn't really matter who the presenters are - the station's mostly-male demographic is very appealing to advertisers and they don't need to rock the boat too much. They have never been about inventive, innovative radio in the way early Talk Radio UK was.

Part of me wonders if Al was only ever contracted to do 3 weeks at TRUK and if his chop was part of some publicity effort :) After all, he did refer to the management as "simpletons" in the test transmissions, and advise callers to address complaints to "Programme Controller, King of the ********s, Talk Radio......"
  • dpbdpb Posts: 12,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ed-Write wrote:
    Call me naive, but I still think using several different DJ names can't be very beneficial!

And isn't the point about Talksport that it doesn't really matter who the presenters are - the station's mostly-male demographic is very appealing to advertisers and they don't need to rock the boat too much. They have never been about inventive, innovative radio in the way early Talk Radio UK was.

Part of me wonders if Al was only ever contracted to do 3 weeks at TRUK and if his chop was part of some publicity effort :) After all, he did refer to the management as "simpletons" in the test transmissions, and advise callers to address complaints to "Programme Controller, King of the ********s, Talk Radio......"

Well on another forum once someone said that in the original press pack Ian Collins was listed in the schedule as hosting overnights saying "starting May". That would tie in with your theory.
  • srhugosrhugo Posts: 3,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ed-Write wrote:
    Ha ha ha! I am calling you naive!

Trust me, it is beneficial, in so many different ways... For a start, if you're looking at radio work as a viable full time career - at least, that's how I did it.
    Forum Member
    Haha, I consider myself officially naive!

Well, my old man works in radio and he used two names - but mostly so that his fulltime employers didn't find out he was moonlighting for another broadcaster.

I just thought that building a reputation would be harder if you kept changing your identity....both in terms of developing a fan base and also grabbing programme controllers' attention.

In any case, I'm glad Al is still working, although it would be great to get him in front of the mic. Maybe the internet is the way forward for proper, innovative speech radio...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    AL Kelly was back on real radio yesterday, covering for Tony Mckenzie
  • dzfootballdzfootball Posts: 4,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nice think he's left Galaxy , they have a new producer on Hirsty's Daily Dose.
  • RAY VONRAY VON Posts: 606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    timfreck wrote:
    AL Kelly was back on real radio yesterday, covering for Tony Mckenzie[/QUOTE

Yeah, i was very surprised to hear him on Saturday morning covering for Tony McKenzie. Return of another ex-presenter, along with Ian Brannan.

I wonder if he's going to be back with a regular slot or if it was just a one-off??

He was producing Hirsty's daily done on Galaxy but now it seems that Giles Tanner has that job, according to the Galaxy Yorkshire website.
  • paul-whitepaul-white Posts: 153
    Forum Member
    RonnieL wrote:
    Also used to go under the name "Bradley Stokes".
    He used this years ago when working for Galaxy in Bristol and there's an area of Bristol called Bradley Stoke. :D
  • DieDieMyDarlingDieDieMyDarling Posts: 4,809
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's officially back on Real Yorkshire, i did a search for any threads about him, and realised people had been talking about him.

It's not a great show, unfortunately, been listening for 15 mins tonight (after finally remembering to tune in) and it's mostly music with a bit of 'pointless talk', shame, i loved him on TRUK.

He's in the schedules for every mon-thur night, 7pm - 10pm. Maybe it gets better as it gets later, but i doubt it.

The music isn't bad though, classic 80s songs. :D
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Al Kelly does evenings on Real. I'm sure I heard that ex breakfast DJ Darren Kelly was to do evenings when Daryl Denham moved to breakfast.