Dexter Season 5 (US Pace) [Spoilers MUST be in tags!]

Comments

• The Icon V2The Icon V2 Posts: 563
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nope you didnt miss a scene, Dexter just did something to the blood on Quinn's show so it got him off the hook.

ive really enjoyed the season, glad it didnt have any mid season breaks.

i did REALLY want Deb to see Dexter though. its good the way they both have a secret and only Dexter knows but can never say.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think he was actually arrested, more like held for interrogation. I believe the party was the day after the scene in the cell.

You also missed out the fact that Dexter fixed Quinn's bloodwork to eliminate any suspicion that Quinn played a part in Robocop's murder.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 268
    Forum Member
    Last ep was okay, I so wanted deborah to find out about dexter, that of been my final scene instead of a happy one.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Considering how good the rest of the series has been, there was a sense of deflation in the last episode. The baddie was offed far too easily and Deb's boyfriend getting off needed another line of explanation.

But, come on, the big plot hole was surely Dexter's crashed car sitting upside down on the road to the cabin. I thought they had to deal with this given that Deb was giving them just one hour to get away. It's his car! I thought we were going to see Dexter discovered by the police pretending to be unconscious in its front seat having raced to get there first.

So what happened to the car???
  • IsisIsis Posts: 85
    Forum Member
    it wasn't his car, he stole it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dsrichard wrote: »
    Considering how good the rest of the series has been, there was a sense of deflation in the last episode. The baddie was offed far too easily and Deb's boyfriend getting off needed another line of explanation.

But, come on, the big plot hole was surely Dexter's crashed car sitting upside down on the road to the cabin. I thought they had to deal with this given that Deb was giving them just one hour to get away. It's his car! I thought we were going to see Dexter discovered by the police pretending to be unconscious in its front seat having raced to get there first.

So what happened to the car???

He stole the car didn't he?

(did a good number of posts get deleted in here since this morning? Mine's gone.)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He took Jordan Chase's car.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 336
    Forum Member
    Not over impressed with the last episode, but still there was enough in it to satisfy.

That being said, I do feel sorry for those that would have seen the trailor as it would have been terribly dissapointing If I had seen it in advance!
  • Yobaba**Yobaba** Posts: 4,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was disapointing - not really bothered about Jordan Chase dying halfway through, we all knew that Chase would die.

But I was slightly annoyed there was absolutely no fallout and everything got tied up neatly to where it was before the season began. Its one of those things that annoys me about Dexter, every season is sort of the same with a return to normalcy at the end - though I had more hopes for this season somehow. The show it still great it makes me slightly less excited about seeing the next one.
  • dannyb0yukdannyb0yuk Posts: 2,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yobaba** wrote: »
    It was disapointing - not really bothered about Jordan Chase dying halfway through, we all knew that Chase would die.

But I was slightly annoyed there was absolutely no fallout and everything got tied up neatly to where it was before the season began. Its one of those things that annoys me about Dexter, every season is sort of the same with a return to normalcy at the end - though I had more hopes for this season somehow. The show it still great it makes me slightly less excited about seeing the next one.

How on earth was there a sense of normalcy at the end of season four?
    ThePhenom wrote: »
    Seasons 6 AND 7?!

I thought there was only going to be one more. Or at least only one more planned for now.

Season 6 has just been announced in the last week or two. There's literally no guarantees that there'll be a seventh, that's just pure presumption/speculation. I wouldn't be surprised if it went beyond the sixth though, the ratings this year have been so good that I imagine they'd not be in a rush to end it. I'm perfectly happy for the show to continue tbh :)
  • dannyb0yukdannyb0yuk Posts: 2,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apologies, double post!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 90
    Forum Member
    dannyb0yuk wrote: »
    How on earth was there a sense of normalcy at the end of season four?

I think they meant in the fact that the end of each season seems to make a full stop in that particular story, and so it's wrapped up a little too neatly for a new one to start next season. (Dexter normal moral killing routine)

In regards to the last ep I was hoping for a big finale and it's was kind of low key, especially for a show like dexter.

I personally would have loved to have seen dexter be caught by deb and then that leads in to the next season where dexter goes on the run with lumen and his son. (I guess i should just go and rewatch prison break again!)
    Would have been a nice end to the series though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Isis wrote: »
    it wasn't his car, he stole it.

Ah, thank you. That's cleared up that. I finished the episode thinking that it was such a glaring plot hole. I'll have to review where he stole the car. It passed me by.

So, we're only left with the rather expedient release of Quinn.

Ok, another thought I had while watching it: I was half expecting Dexter to reach for a knife and slowly stab Lumen while she hugged him as he crouched on the kitchen floor. Now, *that* would have been dark.
  • threecheesesthreecheeses Posts: 23,936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just finished watching and the whole car stealing baffled me.

He is with all the police after the ferry trip and then straight away steals a car. Where from? Does he have to get the ferry to the car? I'm confused. Whoever's car it was is going to report it missing from the spot they parked it in which 'appeared' to be not far from Liddy's crime scene and then ends up crashed at the camp? All very odd.

I thought Lumen was going to fall off Dexter's boat.:eek:
  • HeraclitusDaysHeraclitusDays Posts: 797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ThePhenom wrote: »
    Seasons 6 AND 7?!

I thought there was only going to be one more. Or at least only one more planned for now.

Season 6 has not been referred to as the final season and as such it is believed that there will be atleast one more season after the next one.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dsrichard wrote: »
    Considering how good the rest of the series has been, there was a sense of deflation in the last episode

I think I have to agree there. I was always kind of hoping something big would happen. I know Dexter has never been one for cliffhangers, but with the build up I was really expecting something.

The scene where Deb nearly caught Dex and Lumen though was fantastic. Not quite up there with Trinity stalking through the police station trying to find Dex, but not far behind.

I did also like the scene where Lumen told Dex she was leaving as well - the line where he said he'd carry her darkness along with his was something else.

Great series though. I've been lucky because I watched S4 at uk pace and S5 straight after at US pace, so had brand new Dexter for 6 months straight.

Now it's at least 9 months wait before S6 .. booooo !
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought Lumen was going to fall off Dexter's boat.:eek:

I did too :D I also thought she might turn up to the party in the end, I can see why she's left and it did make sense but I kinda hoped she would be in the next season to see how that would develop.
  • Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just watched - not bad - comme ci comma ca. I think this season, as a whole, suffered from coming after such an outstanding Season 4. Don't get me wrong though, the premise of this season was good, very original in fact, but it was lacking that certain something.

Perhaps it's the constant attempt to 'humanize' Dexter a bit, to show some kind of 'inward struggle' for people to relate to. The only problem is that Dexter's always at his best when he's in 'hunter' mode.
  • silentNatesilentNate Posts: 84,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The scene where Deb nearly caught Dex and Lumen though was fantastic. Not quite up there with Trinity stalking through the police station trying to find Dex, but not far behind.

Sorry but I thought it was rubbish, Debs character would never have let them leave. The only explanation I can think of is that it will be later revealed that Deb has known from an early age what is going on and has always been in the background protecting Dexter...

...which might make next season a little more interesting :)
  • SquiggleSquiggle Posts: 2,547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The following is an interview between TV Guide and Sara Colleton, Executive Producer, of Dexter. She discusses the season 5 finale. It's an interesting read. Check it out if you want to. :cool:

http://www.tvguide.com/News/Dexter-Finale-Spoilers-1026688.aspx
  • doom&gloomdoom&gloom Posts: 9,051
    Forum Member
    It looked like it was returning to the status quo but as pointed out above there was a little hint that Deb might know what's been going on, either with Liddy or Dexter and Lumen's killings or both.

The Venezualan gangster story was a waste of time though and the final showdown at the camp was rushed.

In reality though Dexter would have been caught this season the amount of crime scenes he's had to cover up, with the two guys in the factory and Liddy especially.

This is the first series I've found Deb attractive as well for some reason, even though she's still got the big chin and figure of a skinny teenage boy.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    I loved it, very good finale and it neatly wrapped things up. The confrontation with Jordan and the culmination of that scene with Deb nearly finding them was incredibly tense. Michael C. Hall's acting in his final scene with Lumen was excellent as well.

I didn't watch the trailer last week because i had a feeling that it'd set it up to be something that it wasn't, and it seems i was right (to be fair, the end of episode trailers for Dexter do this every week: i.e. make it look like something happens by showing it out of context, only for it to be something relatively minor).

Likewise, i wasn't expecting a "game changer" ending like some of you inexplicably were due to the simple fact that it was obvious that the writers weren't going to leave it on a cliffhanger this year because they were only granted another season two weeks ago, long after the season had been completed. The reason that Season 4 had a cliffhanger was because it was renewed for Season 4 and 5 at the same time so the writers could plan ahead. If they'd ended it on a cliffhanger this year and it hadn't been renewed i imagine that there would have been a lot of pissed of people in this thread right now...

I disagree with the claim that the Venezuelan gangster plotline was pointless too, because that laid the groundwork for the breakdown of Deb's morals, resulting in her letting Dex and Lumen leave the crime scene.

I assume that next season Quinn will play a fairly significant part since he now effectively knows what Dexter does.
    silentNate wrote: »
    Debs character would never have let them leave.

All the way through this season it's been setting her character up to be sympathetic towards the people who are doing the killings of Chase's men, hence the conversation she had with Dexter a few weeks ago where they discussed whether certain people deserve to live. I didn't think it was particularly out of character at all considering the changes her character has gone through this season.

Roll on late September 2011!:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 41
    Forum Member
    It was a good finale but a little too neat and cheesy ending for me.
    I would have prefered something a bit different to have gone down - maybe Lumen to have been killed somehow (by Debs or Chase even) and Dexter to be found out by his sister.
    I think they should have waited till the season 6 premiere to get rid of Lumen - it just felt too neat to get rid of her like that - like her stint as the season guest star was over so she was leaving no matter how that fitted in with the story. It would have felt better if she'd had a few months to think about it and then left in the 1st ep of the next season
    I think the only unforgivable mistake the writers made though was having all of Quinns doubts and suspicions over Dexter suddenly disappear at the end. Well it seemed like that in the cheesy end sequence where everyone was happily hooked up again! (apart from Dex).
    Hopefully Quinn is going to carry on digging and looking into Dexter next season........
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    silentNate wrote: »
    Debs character would never have let them leave.

I guess I liked the scene for the tension and the "is he going to be caught?" aspect of it.

I guess from a plot and character perspective, and considering the theme of the series appears to be moral ambiguity, it probably does make some kind of sense why she let them leave.
  • SquiggleSquiggle Posts: 2,547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dlm88888 wrote: »
    I think the only unforgivable mistake the writers made though was having all of Quinns doubts and suspicions over Dexter suddenly disappear at the end. Well it seemed like that in the cheesy end sequence where everyone was happily hooked up again! (apart from Dex).

You don't like happiness even for a brief moment? That type of emotion is cheesy to you? How depressing. :yawn: