Options

The Good Wife - Season 3 (US Pace)

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Superbeast wrote: »
    I think the Scott brothers have enough pull to end this when they want to, same deal with how Fringe is continuing on because it's got Murdoch's granddaughter in it despite declining ratings. Plus it has got plenty of awards. I do think it has a lot of competition now compared to last season. It didn't have to compete with Boardwalk Empire and Dexter then.

It's also unfortunately going to appeal to roughly te same viewers as those cable shows and if I was a viewer paying through the nose for HBO and Showtime I may well prioritise those shows. Having said that, I am happy to stack both Boardwalk Empire and Dexter (fine shows though the are) whereas I devour The Good Wife as soon as its available.
  • Options
    SuperbeastSuperbeast Posts: 1,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dsrichard wrote: »
    It's also unfortunately going to appeal to roughly te same viewers as those cable shows and if I was a viewer paying through the nose for HBO and Showtime I may well prioritise those shows. Having said that, I am happy to stack both Boardwalk Empire and Dexter (fine shows though the are) whereas I devour The Good Wife as soon as its available.

I also watch all three but like you said, if you are paying for Showtime or HBO you will prioritise watching the pay channel over the regular network channel. I really don't think they did it a favour moving it to Sundays, it was bad enough that it had Sons Of Anarchy as competition, now it's up against the PPV heavyweights.
  • Options
    cherubmattdcherubmattd Posts: 13,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I must say, Dexter is hardly watched on the night (a 0.7 in the demo last Sunday). The big cable competition is Boardwalk. The Walking Dead gets younger viewers than any of these.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,441
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love this show. Hoping it won't get cancelled. It still does fine in actual viewers. I have a feeling that in the spring when Desperate Housewives is right at the end it will get tons of viewers though and be way ahead of the Good Wife which will be bad. Desperate Housewives got about 2 million fewer viewers than The Good Wife this week but was still waaayy ahead in the demo
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ely to Peter (frustrated): "So this ethical thing is for real, right?"

Great line.

A fantastic episode full of character moments like this. This week sees the return of Dylan Baker's Colin Sweeney character who becomes a lynchpin in a new case. Baker is one of those actors who seems to guest star in anything that reeks of quality (he's also in the new Damages).

People are manoeuvring about all over the place in this episode. I wish I was watching it as a box set. The series would take about two days to get through.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved this episode! I think it's my favourite of season 3 so far.

I love Colin Sweeney! I hope he's back in another episode! For some reason I was really worried he was going to die even though he's a murderer!

I want more of David Lee!
  • Options
    beaky29beaky29 Posts: 367
    Forum Member
    and123 wrote: »
    Does anyone know when season 3 will be shown in the UK?

I love this show- a hidden gem. I can't understand why ore people don't know about it in UK.

I love this show and can not wait to see the new series. Think we will probably have to wait until the New Year!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just watched the new episode, I agree with everyone else I thought it was brilliant! Great story with twists and turns
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This episode has got the show's lowest ever ratings. It's the first time it's ever got below 10 million in total viewers and it got a 2.0 in the demo and it's only the 5th episode. It's also CBS' lowest rated scripted drama. I hope it doesn't get cancelled! I don't understand why more people don't watch it it's amazing!
  • Options
    JoshuaRyJoshuaRy Posts: 389
    Forum Member
    So sad to see it only got 9.6 million last week, Desperate Housewives had 9.2... nearly a million more than the week before, so clearly Once Upon a Time is helping that.

The Good Wife has always had relatively average demos, probably because its a 'full on' legal drama. However the ratings have always been 11 million. In this season we're seeing 10 and now 9, which is a shame considering we're only on the fifth episode... I really think the timeslot has annoyed a lot of people, and the show doesn't feel like a Sunday show to me.

Still, I don't think CBS will cancel it. They seem to have a lot of praise for it and faith in it. The critical acclaim obviously helps that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's difficult to express just how good The Good Wife continues to be. Every episode just reeks quality - the writing, dialogue, acting, direction. Nothing draws attention to itself and week after week they produce the finest piece of network television airing on the major networks.

The line that got me this week was after the son had met Will for the first time and he is hesitant around his mother. She, and we, suspects he's going to ask something. He does. He asks for a car. It's superb misdirection that highlights the human condition: the ego. The son has no awareness of adult relationships and lives in his own world. Just like any teenager.

Good main story this week that justifies Cary's behaviour every step of the way.

It will be a crime if this gets cancelled.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Butterflyy wrote: »
    This episode has got the show's lowest ever ratings. It's the first time it's ever got below 10 million in total viewers and it got a 2.0 in the demo and it's only the 5th episode. It's also CBS' lowest rated scripted drama. I hope it doesn't get cancelled! I don't understand why more people don't watch it it's amazing!

It's a complex layered drama about characters acting like humans rather than stereotypes, there are rarely any explosions and it's mostly dialogue driven. It's not got the showiness of Law & Order and the lead is a female. It's lucky it's done as well as it has so far. The Sunday move was a bad choice.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The line that got me this week was after the son had met Will for the first time and he is hesitant around his mother. She, and we, suspects he's going to ask something. He does. He asks for a car. It's superb misdirection that highlights the human condition: the ego. The son has no awareness of adult relationships and lives in his own world. Just like any teenager.

Zack's gotta have some idea there's something going on between his mum and Will. I too thought he was going to mention it but maybe he's going to use the knowledge to his advantage since Alicia obviously wants to keep it a secret, perhaps thats why he mentioned he wants a car. We'll have to wait and see.

I thought it was another good episode, although there were some key characters missing (Diane and Peter). Another interesting story arc was Carey and his new job
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's difficult to express just how good The Good Wife continues to be. Every episode just reeks quality - the writing, dialogue, acting, direction. Nothing draws attention to itself and week after week they produce the finest piece of network television airing on the major networks.

Good main story this week that justifies Cary's behaviour every step of the way.

It will be a crime if this gets cancelled.
    I wasn't sure if it was supposed to come across in that way or in the way that the son knew and was trying to kind of emotionally blackmail his mum into letting him have a car. I read two reviews of this episode and they both took it different ways.

I really liked this episode. I loved Alicia in the car " I saw someone in an Audi that resembled my client..." :D

I would have liked more of Diane. She had about 2 minutes of screen time this week. She's had almost nothing to do so far this season!
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eli just gets better and better. Best line: "Oh, good. She banged a good Bin Laden!"
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Missed the last two episodes, have they been good? Gotta admit, I've always been a fan of Alicia and Will but their only sex relationship has turned me off somewhat.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Butterflyy wrote: »
    I wasn't sure if it was supposed to come across in that way or in the way that the son knew and was trying to kind of emotionally blackmail his mum into letting him have a car. I read two reviews of this episode and they both took it different ways.

You know, you may be right. I didn't take it that way but it could be read like that. I don't know: she has a good relationship with her children and blackmail doesn't seem to be a worthy feature. But I understand how it could have been taken that way.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Missed the last two episodes, have they been good? Gotta admit, I've always been a fan of Alicia and Will but their only sex relationship has turned me off somewhat.

Have they been good? Have you read the thread?

I don't think that Alicia and Will have an only sex relationship but to overtly admit that it is deeper than that would be to upset many, many apple carts.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^^ Not really LOL. Don't want to get spoiled hence the question. :) I will catch up with the show, it's just gonna take some will power and finding time now LOL.

Oh I think they will have a relationship too but the no talking of feelings and such, I'm not liking.

(sorry if anything doesn't make sense, eyes are half closed while I'm typing this.)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Simply love this show - wish i didn' t have to wait for it so long in the UK. Hope it won't get cancelled, though I fear the reasons I like it - complexity, moral ambiguity etc., are the very things that mean it hasn't as broad appeal as it should.

Eli Gold...Alan Cumming is just so excellent. I started watching for the Peter / Alicia / Will thing, but really, I would watch it now for Diane and Eli alone. David Lee also ace.

That said, I love that though the Will / Alicia thing is still a major hook, it has evolved into something rather less perfect and more difficult and uneven - the way real relationships do. She's not quite sure what she wants, doesn't want quite to open that can of worms, ostrich in the sand. Will in some kind of loved up state and not quite sure how to deal with a relationship that really matters...Will and peter in any scene... Can't wait when it is shown in te UK.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Diane takes centre-stage this week for the first time in ages championing a case against the government that doesn't impress Will. Between them, they all manage to drop Alicia in it and I didn't really felt that they were that concerned. Her outside counsel was a hoot. If only people behaved like that in real life the world would be a happier place.

Nice guest star role for Bob Balaban who I will always like for his amusing Close Encounters diary.

The stories are twisting all over the place at the moment. Will's being investigated, Diane is suspicious, the mother-in-law turned up briefly again. No Ely this week.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Diane takes centre-stage this week for the first time in ages championing a case against the government that doesn't impress Will. Between them, they all manage to drop Alicia in it and I didn't really felt that they were that concerned. Her outside counsel was a hoot. If only people behaved like that in real life the world would be a happier place.

Nice guest star role for Bob Balaban who I will always like for his amusing Close Encounters diary.

The stories are twisting all over the place at the moment. Will's being investigated, Diane is suspicious, the mother-in-law turned up briefly again. No Ely this week.

I want Alicia to really blow up when she finds the grandmother has been coming to her home when she is not there after her very clear wishes last season.

Also get the feeling her daughter will go live with the father or grandmother, she's just trying so hard to rebel and Alicia is giving her no real response so far. She'll have to do something dramatic since she's such an obvious attention seeking insecure idiot looking for any other source of acceptance or attention, no matter how ridiculous it may be.

Will being investigated on top of Diane's suspicions of an affair? I'm sure Carey will love to put the nail in Will's professional career and end it after he was overlooked and passed over for promotion.

I can't wait for Khalinda to face off with Dana as they try to protect/bury Will respectively. I expect Celeste may be able to get Will off the hook for that gambling debt issue given their history, question is what she'll want in return...
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

An excellent episode all round - despite no Eli.

Hope Carrie Preston hangs around for a few more episodes as the kookie lawyer. The Good Wife has always had an ability to have interesting and quirky characters (such as Michael J Fox) while still remaining a serious drama and not becoming a Boston Legal type comedy.
  • Options
    Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I knew I'd seen the redhead lawyer somewhere before, and then it hit me... She plays Arlene in True Blood! Quite a different character in The Good Wife to True Blood... kooky but excellent lawyer, instead of a tarty hick waitress. Total MILF in both though :o

Also another person from TB too - the new lawyer, David Lee's niece.
  • Options
    Flubber.Flubber. Posts: 2,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Matt D wrote: »
    I knew I'd seen the redhead lawyer somewhere before, and then it hit me... She plays Arlene in True Blood! Quite a different character in The Good Wife to True Blood... kooky but excellent lawyer, instead of a tarty hick waitress. Total MILF in both though :o

Also another person from TB too - the new lawyer, David Lee's niece.

I didnt even recognise her! what a total 180 character wise.

It was nice to have a break from Eli. He is one of my favorite characters but the short temper part of his personality has been added in I feel just for the sake of it lately and overall takes away from the dramatic effect when you want him to have an 'eli' moment.