Options

Did losing weight change your life?

Comments

• Options
    DaisyBillDaisyBill Posts: 4,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    amyawake wrote: »
    What is never discussed - but occurs - is that, if you lose a lot of weight you're left with a lot of saggy skin. True that if you exercise and are YOUNG enough, the skin will tone back. However, the likelihood of the skin returning tight/toned (i.e. not sagging and loose) is less likely the older you are. Skin simply loses its elasticity. So, if you're fairly old and lose weight and are vain....it would either mean unsightly hanging skin around tops of legs and arms or surgery. Correct me if I'm wrong but I have directly experienced losing a lot of weight and having lods of saggy skin at tops of my thighs when young (didn't exercise admittedly). Not exactly an incentive is it?

I have lost over 4 stones [30% of my bodyweight] and have ended up with very little loose skin, even though I'm quite old [52].
    Exercise is the key here, you have to build up muscle to replace the fat that has been lost.
    The only places I have loose [more wrinkly] skin is a little on my tummy [and I have had 3 children, so wouldn't expect to have perfect abs anyway], top inner thighs and top inner arms. Even these areas are improving slowly. I have heard that it can take about 2 years to get rid of loose skin after losing the weight so I look at it as a work in progress.
    Of course I am never going to have a perfect body but I am still going to improve it as much as I can.
  • Options
    simasima Posts: 1,464
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    very impressive. you lost 2 more inches off your waist than I did. I went from 54 to 40 over the course of the year.

did you do it all with Wii Fit then ?

I did some on wii fit (jogging , wii fit didn't do much) also I had a indoor bike trainer, rower, situps & weights, mainly used wii for line graph, help motivate to keep on going. I got the weight loss spot when I started pushing me heart with heavy weights

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh32/sima_hebb/weightZ.jpg

I did get addicted to exercise/endorphins & was do 30 hours a week (6:30 am - 11:30 x 6 days) , I've got that down to 7/10 hours a week, I do push meself to the limit ie started doing 18 mile walk once a week (dog loved it) with a HEAVY backpack on, then when that got easy I started running some of it

as well as exercise, I eat healthy , fruit blendered into drink every morning (avacado, kiwi etc etc) i search google for health benifits of each food + I take fish oil & garlic capsules.

years ago was a alchy & beer was my food & wouldn't touch fruit / veg or eat healthy or do exercise. feel good turning me life round when i seen others die thru drink & drugs
  • Options
    eluf38eluf38 Posts: 4,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes! I was a podgy 16 year old and I was sick of trying to huge my fat belly and being the butt of endless jokes. I lost a fair bit and others noticed and commented. Everyone then started to think I was an anorexic and that upset me. At university I was forced to eat a plate of chips to prove I wasn't an anorexic. That really made me angry at the time but the digs and commented eased off for the new few weeks and they cycle started again!

I don't believe it transformed my life. I was no longer looked at the fat overweight ugly girl who looked older than her years and men started to notice me and ask me out. It upset me at the time as I was still me even if I was a whole lot less me. The same men wouldn't have looked at me twice if I'd still been overweight.

I believe it's about how you feel on the inside and the reason why you want to lose the weight. You have to do it for yourself, love and accept yourself as you are and when you do lose the weight you will love yourself even more.
    No one else will love you if you can;t love yourself.
    These days I go to the gym and it's better than just dieting and I am happy with me.

:) Love this.
  • Options
    gmphmacgmphmac Posts: 2,212
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it probably has for me.

I piled on the pounds for three or four years (I don't know how much I weighed, but my waist was bordering on 36"), but went on a strict diet back in 2009. I now weigh 57kg and feel great. All my little health problems seem to have cleared themselves up, too.

Being healthy is a lifelong commitment, but it's so easy. Once you get into it, you don't even think about going back to old habits.

That's me: junk food slob to health freak in three years :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Re. loose skin. The only place I have any is around the lower abs. Arms and legs are toning up nicely. Even my upper abs are finally responding to all the crunches, etc. that I'm doing. Hopefully it's only a matter of time before the lower abs similarly tone up, or am I stuck with the dreaded pouch of skin? Lipo isn't an option.

Would love to hear from any fitness experts or those who've lost more than 4 stone as to how best to tackle less than toned lower abs. :)
  • Options
    yorkiegalyorkiegal Posts: 18,929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A year ago I weighed 21 stone 4lbs.
    Today I weigh 13 stone.

I'm a lot more active. I have an allotment now and use a pushbike. I can shop in normal clothes stores. I can cope with the summer heat and my knees don't hurt all the time. I have a lot more confidence when I'm out and about.

It hasn't changed who I am inside but it has apparantly made me more acceptable to other people, who no longer stare at my stomach when talking to me or make assumptions that I am lazy and stupid.

I have some crepe like skin on my tummy and upper arms and thighs but it's not too bad. I'll always have big bingo wings so I don't wear sleeveless tops.

when it comes to confidence and the opposite sex there has been no change because I still hate my body as much as I did before. When I look in the mirror I don't see a size 16. I still see a size 30. I still focus on the 'bad' bits like a fat stomach rather than seeing where I look a lot better like my face and legs.
  • Options
    Martin BlankMartin Blank Posts: 1,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ms Katt wrote: »
    Re. loose skin. The only place I have any is around the lower abs. Arms and legs are toning up nicely. Even my upper abs are finally responding to all the crunches, etc. that I'm doing. Hopefully it's only a matter of time before the lower abs similarly tone up, or am I stuck with the dreaded pouch of skin? Lipo isn't an option.

Would love to hear from any fitness experts or those who've lost more than 4 stone as to how best to tackle less than toned lower abs. :)

I'm no expert but have lost over 5 stone in the last year, all down to CrossFit. The common theme is ab definition is all about % body fat. The less body fat you have, the more your abs will show through.

Has it changed my lilfe?...absolutely. No question. I didn't realise just how much I lacked confidence being a bigger guy. Lost all the weight, got on the dating scene and met the girl of my dreams, who's beautiful inside and out.

Totally life changing. You've got to want it and be prepared to make a complete life change. Embrace keeping fit. Make it into a sport, almost a hobby, then it's not so bad when you want to have a blow out on a Chinese or whatever...

What's next? I doing a bloomin' Triathlon next year....A TRIATHLON!!!...coming from someone who this time last year thought that people that went to a gym were stupid and running was out...of...the...question.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ms Katt have you tried reverse crunches? These target the lower ab area. Try you tube for some suggestions.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for your suggestions Martin Blank and DaisyBill. Will be checking out both Cross Fit and reverse crunches on YouTube later on. :)
  • Options
    Super FrogSuper Frog Posts: 11,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have lost two stone since June and while I still have a long way to go I am certainly a lot happier. People are noticing it in work which makes me feel great and all my old clothes are starting to fit nicely again.

I'm not one for the gym as I am too self conscious. I bought a good pair of walking boots and have been taking advantage of the light nights by going walking every night after work. I changed my diet very suddenly which made me feel very ill for a few days so I wouldn't recommend that. Thee are weeks where I am very strict and active and don't lose anything which can be frustrating.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm no fitness expert but have lost 10 stone. My abs are fine but I use dumbells (not ideal for women)

you could try this for them abs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0jalJ-3e7U

I'm investing in some kettle bells, I'm allways looking what I can do next. used to do 1000 situps a day, & row 26KM but find heavy dumbell are what works for me but bash me knees with them, kettle bells may take me to the next level (not that I need to change)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sima wrote: »
    My abs are fine but I use dumbells (not ideal for women)

Whyever not? I'm a woman and I use dumbells [only 10llbs at the moment, but working my way up as I get stronger].
    Lots of women use free weights nowadays, it's a myth that lifting weights will somehow turn us into Arnold Schwarznegger.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DaisyBill wrote: »
    Whyever not? I'm a woman and I use dumbells [only 10llbs at the moment, but working my way up as I get stronger].

mine are 15 KG , 20 KG & 28 KG or kg

they get the heart going and if you want to shift the weight thats what you need. was thinking the heavy kettle bell might be easier for a woman rather than dumbells
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks, sima. I'm no stranger to kettlebells or dumbells - like DaisyBill I'm working my way up with the latter. :)

Operation flat abs begins...erm, tomorrow. :D
  • Options
    amyawakeamyawake Posts: 7,848
    Forum Member
    DaisyBill wrote: »
    I have lost over 4 stones [30% of my bodyweight] and have ended up with very little loose skin, even though I'm quite old [52].
    Exercise is the key here, you have to build up muscle to replace the fat that has been lost.
    The only places I have loose [more wrinkly] skin is a little on my tummy [and I have had 3 children, so wouldn't expect to have perfect abs anyway], top inner thighs and top inner arms. Even these areas are improving slowly. I have heard that it can take about 2 years to get rid of loose skin after losing the weight so I look at it as a work in progress.
    Of course I am never going to have a perfect body but I am still going to improve it as much as I can.

Thanks for this info. So, from what I can deduce, the loose skin is kind of plumped back up a little with muscle from exercising? And that the loose skin will eventually subside or only with constant exercise to maintain muscle behind the loose skin?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    amyawake wrote: »
    Thanks for this info. So, from what I can deduce, the loose skin is kind of plumped back up a little with muscle from exercising? And that the loose skin will eventually subside or only with constant exercise to maintain muscle behind the loose skin?

This is what I understand, though I'm definitely not an expert. You do need to do some kind of resistance training. I've got to say I have been pleasantly surprised with the results I have had, though there is always room for improvement!
  • Options
    Delta TangoDelta Tango Posts: 625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, definitely.

I feel so much more confident. I can wear nicer clothes. Lost 6 stone in total. Would still like to lose a couple more even though people tell me I don't need to lose anymore.

It's very hard work and takes a lot of motivation to make fitness a big part of your life, but it's very worth it.
  • Options
    Delta TangoDelta Tango Posts: 625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yorkiegal wrote: »
    A year ago I weighed 21 stone 4lbs.
    Today I weigh 13 stone.

I'm a lot more active. I have an allotment now and use a pushbike. I can shop in normal clothes stores. I can cope with the summer heat and my knees don't hurt all the time. I have a lot more confidence when I'm out and about.

It hasn't changed who I am inside but it has apparantly made me more acceptable to other people, who no longer stare at my stomach when talking to me or make assumptions that I am lazy and stupid.

I have some crepe like skin on my tummy and upper arms and thighs but it's not too bad. I'll always have big bingo wings so I don't wear sleeveless tops.

when it comes to confidence and the opposite sex there has been no change because I still hate my body as much as I did before. When I look in the mirror I don't see a size 16. I still see a size 30. I still focus on the 'bad' bits like a fat stomach rather than seeing where I look a lot better like my face and legs.

I'm the same. I must see something completely different to what others see as I still consider myself fat.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks, sima. I'm no stranger to kettlebells or dumbells - like DaisyBill I'm working my way up with the latter. :)

Operation flat abs begins...erm, tomorrow. :D

:D just think of how good you'll feel after exercise & as I say you got to pay your fat tax(exercise) otherwise you'll get fat :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sima wrote: »
    :D just think of how good you'll feel after exercise & as I say you got to pay your fat tax(exercise) otherwise you'll get fat :p

I'm doing a spin class, barbells, as much ab work as I can stand and a brisk walk home this evening, possibly even boot camp tomorrow (weather permitting). I won't let any of that 5 and a half stones creep back on! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm doing a spin class, barbells, as much ab work as I can stand and a brisk walk home this evening

its best to do your exercise as early as possible & that way your body is burning calories all day long, as when your a sleep you don't burn as many calories.

Somedays I'm up at 4:30am to exercise but I'll have a good afternoon nap :yawn: but also whilst exercising early i can download of net :eek: what i want before the 10am throtle (throtle your speeds if you downlod tooo much)
  • Options
    GlassBalloonGlassBalloon Posts: 2,571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Honestly, no, I can't say that it did.

When you lose weight, you have to essentially change your whole life and your mentality. Well, I didn't bother. I exercised non-stop, ate virtually nothing but salad, fish and nuts for three months. I wasn't happy but I did it with a target in mind and I was fully motivated and committed into getting slimmer. I lost three stone, which was my goal. After that, I loosened the diet strings and went back to normal life after virtually putting my life on hold for the duration of the summer months (it was two years ago). Sure, it was nice. I was paid more compliments, I got more male attention, I could wear nice clothes without sticking out like a sore thumb. But the novelty of that wore off pretty quickly, tbh and honestly, I just love food too much. As it hit winter and Christmas, I couldn't help overindulge like I used to. I was miserable slim like I was miserable fat. I put a stone back on pretty quickly, and tried my best not to pile the rest back on. That was two years ago, since then I've put back on another stone, but I'm still a stone lighter than I originally was.

I just couldn't be bothered. And I don't care how that makes me sound, It was nice to have that confidence boost but putting the weight back on made me realise that I just don't care enough to be slim. It's fair to say, I'm more secure in myself than I ever was. I remember I think it was Kate Moss saying "nothing tastes as good as skinny feels" - definitely not true in my case :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yep totally.

I found a love of exercise. For someone who used to find it too much effort to for a 5 minute walk its quite a change.

I lost the majority of my weight 60 something pounds through diet. It was a change to a healthy diet rather than a diet plan. I only started exercising a couple of years ago. Its strange because I have not lost much through exercise but my body is a different shape (I guess I lost the final fatty areas).

I now run 5 times a week and walk at least 2 miles a day. I do get to eat lots of food but it is healthy (I love to eat so thats fine).

Someone earlier mentioned saggy skin/stretch marks. I found that I bounced back. My weightloss was rarely more than 1lb a week so it was slow. Age could be a factor in that too though.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,479
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Honestly, no, I can't say that it did.

When you lose weight, you have to essentially change your whole life and your mentality. Well, I didn't bother. I exercised non-stop, ate virtually nothing but salad, fish and nuts for three months. I wasn't happy but I did it with a target in mind and I was fully motivated and committed into getting slimmer. I lost three stone, which was my goal. After that, I loosened the diet strings and went back to normal life after virtually putting my life on hold for the duration of the summer months (it was two years ago). Sure, it was nice. I was paid more compliments, I got more male attention, I could wear nice clothes without sticking out like a sore thumb. But the novelty of that wore off pretty quickly, tbh and honestly, I just love food too much. As it hit winter and Christmas, I couldn't help overindulge like I used to. I was miserable slim like I was miserable fat. I put a stone back on pretty quickly, and tried my best not to pile the rest back on. That was two years ago, since then I've put back on another stone, but I'm still a stone lighter than I originally was.

I just couldn't be bothered. And I don't care how that makes me sound, It was nice to have that confidence boost but putting the weight back on made me realise that I just don't care enough to be slim. It's fair to say, I'm more secure in myself than I ever was. I remember I think it was Kate Moss saying "nothing tastes as good as skinny feels" - definitely not true in my case :p
    This is my problem too,i love my food, but not one of those lucky people who can eat what they want. being skinny was all ok but you have to suffer for it, when you get to a certain age,i am wanting to be healthy more than a sex goddess. i can honestly say i put on 3 stone in a matter of months and have been trying to get it off ever since
    melly123 wrote: »
    Yep totally.

I found a love of exercise. For someone who used to find it too much effort to for a 5 minute walk its quite a change.

I lost the majority of my weight 60 something pounds through diet. It was a change to a healthy diet rather than a diet plan. I only started exercising a couple of years ago. Its strange because I have not lost much through exercise but my body is a different shape (I guess I lost the final fatty areas).

I now run 5 times a week and walk at least 2 miles a day. I do get to eat lots of food but it is healthy (I love to eat so thats fine).

Someone earlier mentioned saggy skin/stretch marks. I found that I bounced back. My weightloss was rarely more than 1lb a week so it was slow. Age could be a factor in that too though.

i want to lose 2lbs a week as whats the point of having loose skin and looking worse. i got an ab circle pro for the middle section but also your thighs and buns
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You cannot spot reduce weightloss. My stomach was one of the last places to lose the weight because of how I am built. Toned stomach comes from low body fat. Last time I had mine tested it was 17% which is fairly low for a woman and it is flat but no where near any abs.

I am someone who can gain weight easily too. It is a lifelong commitment. I am so jealous of those who eat whatever they want and don't gain. But then again being skinny doesn't mean your body is healthy.