PlayStation4 or Xbox One : first impressions

Comments

• fluffedfluffed Posts: 1,791
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd like a PS4 with an Xbox controller, if they were to launch right now for the same price I think. Not going to happen ofc, but I really don't get on with the dated layout of the dualshock, and it's the only bad point I can see with the PS4 at the moment, until launch lineups and prices are announced that is.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,329
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never in history has a new console provoked such a hostile reaction.

I feel a bit sorry for Microsoft. Good luck to them with the XBOX ONE.
  • Jenny1986Jenny1986 Posts: 16,528
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CSI-uk wrote: »
    Never in history has a new console provoked such a hostile reaction.

I feel a bit sorry for Microsoft. Good luck to them with the XBOX ONE.

The hostility is a bit much (not on here but other places) but I understand the critisism. The people tuning in to a live stream weren't the people looking for new ways to watch TV. They were the core gamers, the one's that are looking to pre order and buy day one. But MS didn't give them much at the unveiling, I don't think the console is bad, and most of it's functions are interesting enough. I just think it's a case of MS pitching it to the wrong audience at that time, it is a games console after all.

But then when do they do it? At E3? It's a bit of a no win situation for them, the only thing that would have made it better was an extra 15-20 minutes on games, and maybe start with that, then go into TV.

Come E3 people wont care as much about this, we will have the games. It's just this used games business that needs clearing up. Plus Sony haven't really made thier plans known regarding it. It could be the same for all we know, i'll wait till after E3 to judge each. This is just a headache for MS I doubt it will impact sales too much, it depends on what Sony have to say.
  • fluffedfluffed Posts: 1,791
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As a gamer the thing that concerns me at the mo is the overhead all the tv stuff, that I don't want or need, is going to steal from my games. Talk of 3gb of the memory being reserved for the OS(es), plus it's DDR3 as opposed to the GDDR5 in the PS4.
  • brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fluffed wrote: »
    As a gamer the thing that concerns me at the mo is the overhead all the tv stuff, that I don't want or need, is going to steal from my games. Talk of 3gb of the memory being reserved for the OS(es), plus it's DDR3 as opposed to the GDDR5 in the PS4.
    I don't think anyone yet knows how much memory will be free for games. I would hope that the Windows OS would be swapped to disk while the game OS and the game is running. The third OS I'd expect to be very small.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jenny1986 wrote: »

Come E3 people wont care as much about this, we will have the games. It's just this used games business that needs clearing up. Plus Sony haven't really made thier plans known regarding it. It could be the same for all we know, i'll wait till after E3 to judge each. This is just a headache for MS I doubt it will impact sales too much, it depends on what Sony have to say.

People keep saying Sony hasnt announced its policy when it comes to used games and stuff, everything everyone is slating MS for.

Do you really think with all this backlash Sony are going to announce the same? They will absolutely clean up if they come out with the opposite of what MS are proposing. It would be the biggest marketing mistake in history
  • redhatmattredhatmatt Posts: 5,197
    Forum Member
    So far, both seem rather poor consoles IMO. But the PS4 is marginally less bad than the Xbox One. IMO. May not get either.
  • Jenny1986Jenny1986 Posts: 16,528
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SlashNX wrote: »
    People keep saying Sony hasnt announced its policy when it comes to used games and stuff, everything everyone is slating MS for.

Do you really think with all this backlash Sony are going to announce the same? They will absolutely clean up if they come out with the opposite of what MS are proposing. It would be the biggest marketing mistake in history

That's true, Sony would have a big advantage if they go a different direction re: used games. I guess I would be suprised if this was MS' idea (it's entirely possible). If it isn't, then the policies are publisher driven, so Sony will struggle to get out of it and keep those publishers happy. Unless they subsidise them to cover losses from 2nd hand sales. So i'm waiting for confirmation from Sony, and also for MS to get thier story straight.
    Forum Member

I thought sony announced the PS4 will play second hand games without restriction.
  • 2dshmuplover2dshmuplover Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member

It's a financial decision and I don't think they are in any position to do otherwise, Sony already do charge for online passes on first party titles and now every publisher wants a piece of the pie. EA have now dropped this method which signifies Sony are doing the same.

Same with the PSEye 2.0 which is shipping with the PS4. There's been no confirmation that it's not a mandatory piece of equipment, considering it comes with the PS4 and the Dual Shock 4 is designed to work with it I would say the chances are fairly high. Maybe after this backlash they'll think twice.
  • Delboy219Delboy219 Posts: 3,193
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some good memes out there. I like this one. :)

http://i1.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/masonry/000/550/418/30b.jpg
  • ChparmarChparmar Posts: 6,367
    Forum Member
    I think the difference between the PS4's add-on features compared to the Xbox 1's features is that the stuff MSFT is trying to push us onto is impractical.
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    brangdon wrote: »
    I don't think anyone yet knows how much memory will be free for games. I would hope that the Windows OS would be swapped to disk while the game OS and the game is running. The third OS I'd expect to be very small.

That won't be case as the Game OS and Windows run side by side, if it was cached on the HDD it would be slow when accessing it while playing a game. No matter how you but it, this is talking away memory and other resources that could be used for games.

That combined with the fact that the GPU in the PS4 is 50% more powerful and for me at least it's easy to decide what I'm buying at Christmas.
    Forum Member
    Wait the xbox one is going to have a full version of Windows 8?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    redhatmatt wrote: »
    Wait the xbox one is going to have a full version of Windows 8?
    It will have a Windows OS. Highly doubt that will be a fully-fledged Windows 8, but enough probably for you to be able to run apps designed for the Windows Store.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have Microsoft dug themselves into a bit of a hole

The Kinect can monitor who is playing on the Xbox and the Kinect is always on

So have they dug themselves a hole because surely if Kinect sees that a Child is trying to play an Adult game such as CoD or Assassin's creed then in should stop the child from accessing the mature content, or at the very least check that there is an adult with them

But if they do stop children from then that would seriously effect sales, if they don't stop children playing the games i don't think microsoft can defend that
  • jjesso123jjesso123 Posts: 5,944
    Forum Member
    thomas2400 wrote: »

So have they dug themselves a hole because surely if Kinect sees that a Child is trying to play an Adult game such as CoD or Assassin's creed then in should stop the child from accessing the mature content, or at the very least check that there is an adult with them

But if they do stop children from then that would seriously effect sales, if they don't stop children playing the games i don't think microsoft can defend that

It's surely something I can see being painted all over the media especially the DM at launch. However It's also fair to say that the device won't be 100% accurate. Some adults may not have fully developed or some children might of developed too early etc.
    chopoff wrote: »
    It will have a Windows OS. Highly doubt that will be a fully-fledged Windows 8, but enough probably for you to be able to run apps designed for the Windows Store.

All apps will have to resigned to work with controller and kinect.
  • gillyallangillyallan Posts: 31,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Might be plenty sales of those simon Cowell and the likes masks then
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In this scenario it's the adult dwarves I feel sorry for :D
  • BigFoot87BigFoot87 Posts: 9,293
    Forum Member
    Given how good/creepy the new Kinect is, I wouldn't doubt its capabilities to detect if a game-player is an adult or not, regardless of how tall that player is.
  • HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Its the next generation of V-Chip, not only will it block content based age restrictions but it will also block content if too many people are present in the room (Or ask for an additional fee for everyone over the licence agreed 4 viewers) :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BigFoot87 wrote: »
    Given how good/creepy the new Kinect is, I wouldn't doubt its capabilities to detect if a game-player is an adult or not, regardless of how tall that player is.
    I doubt it's as good/scary as some people are making out. It's probably very good at recognising movement and shapes (i.e. outlines of people) but wouldn't be able to determine specifics like age/gender reliably imo. If you think about it that's incredibly hard to do. I mean MS could try but they would end up with a lot of annoyed people getting falsely identified imo.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,329
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BigFoot87 wrote: »

This is getting ridiculous now, MS will not be using Kinect to detect age rated games are being played by appropriately aged persons!

They don't have any legal obligation to police who plays games on there console, thats for retailers and parents to control. MS will provide appropriate parental controls to assist parents, as always.
  • 2dshmuplover2dshmuplover Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    RE: Kinect and it's "always on" features:
    Gamespot wrote:

Phil Spencer: "You definitely will have the software capability to turn off all the capabilities of Kinect. We want to put the gamer in control. And privacy. The box data information that collects is your data; it stays with you. You are in control of what you want to be collected. Game developers will obviously enable certain features and you'll be alerted when certain things are happening. Putting the gamer in control is really important."

source

Don't like the features? scared it's spying on you? then disable it.
  • SegaGamerSegaGamer Posts: 29,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I won't make a decision until i know all the details. If all the rumours about the Xbox One turn out to be true then i definitely won't be buying it, but that doesn't mean i will be buying a PS4 either. It comes down to this, if i have to pay a fee for used games i won't be buying, if both the Xbox One and PS4 have this then i won't be getting either, i'll go and get a Wii U, it's as simple as that.