Options

Where is Jools Hootenanny???

Comments

• Options
    Galaxy266Galaxy266 Posts: 7,049
    Forum Member
    I think I'll just record it with my PVR and watch the bits I want to see later.
  • Options
    Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    If it's ''live'' how can they show clips in the promos ? I assume they call it live because the artistes were alive when it was recorded ? They went to Maidstone because there were problems with studio space in London and it was widely reported at the time.
    It was "live" when they "recorded" it. :(

I must admit to being one of those highly naïve people who actually thought this show was indeed a proper live event until about 4 or 5 years ago when I found out it never had been at any time. What I have a big problem with is the fact that they never make it clear what the truth is, and lull the gullible viewer into a false sense of what they are watching, with all the pretend midnight hour synchronised perfectly to fit. It's disingenuous.

If it's that important after something like 20 years to Jools, then why are they not making attempts to do this live? Surely it would be quite a good new years bash to be at anyway, on TV with other musicians and celeb hangers on around the sides.

The moment I found out it was just another Christmas recording it lost anything special as a must watch for me and I don't really bother with it anymore.

Just looking at the online TV guide gives no hint that this is anything other than absolutely live, even stating that as the chimes of Big Ben signal the midnight hour and new year, the Pipes & Drums Of The 1st Battalion Scots Guards will be playing in the new year. No they won't!

Another blatant example of modern day TV charlatanism.
  • Options
    Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fortunately, by the time we reach the "witching hour" I'll be past caring, (given the rate this bottle of Pinot Noir is going down0, whether it was live or not.
    It's academic, as I would only record it, as a whole show can be quite tedious, given the number of similar groups which usually appear.

Most musicians would prefer to appear in a recorded New Year's Eve programme.
    This leaves them free for another engagement on the actual night, or put their feet up like most on here, at home.
  • Options
    Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    It was "live" when they "recorded" it. :(

I must admit to being one of those highly naïve people who actually thought this show was indeed a proper live event until about 4 or 5 years ago when I found out it never had been at any time. What I have a big problem with is the fact that they never make it clear what the truth is, and lull the gullible viewer into a false sense of what they are watching, with all the pretend midnight hour synchronised perfectly to fit. It's disingenuous.

If it's that important after something like 20 years to Jools, then why are they not making attempts to do this live? Surely it would be quite a good new years bash to be at anyway, on TV with other musicians and celeb hangers on around the sides.

The moment I found out it was just another Christmas recording it lost anything special as a must watch for me and I don't really bother with it anymore.

Just looking at the online TV guide gives no hint that this is anything other than absolutely live, even stating that as the chimes of Big Ben signal the midnight hour and new year, the Pipes & Drums Of The 1st Battalion Scots Guards will be playing in the new year. No they won't!

Another blatant example of modern day TV charlatanism.

I would snip bits out of that post as it's quite long, but it needs to be digested in all it's 'glory' IMO.
    OK, I'm putting a call out for the worlds smallest violin and a sense of proportion for you.

Time it took you to write that post should have been sufficient to get over the fact it isn't as live as you thought.
    BIB Charlatanism, is that a real word.

In closing may I say, OFGS :)
  • Options
    HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Misty08 wrote: »
    I do hope he`s joking.

I've proved it to him now.
  • Options
    Ancient IDTVAncient IDTV Posts: 10,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've decided not to bother with Jools and Co. (I've been checking out some of the acts on YouTube, and most of them appear to be cack!), and just stick my Blondie Greatest Video Hits DVD on again, instead.
  • Options
    Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've decided not to bother with Jools and Co. (I've been checking out some of the acts on YouTube, and most of them appear to be cack!), and just stick my Blondie Greatest Video Hits DVD on again, instead.

Don't blame you. It'd be a sad day in our house if we had to rely on the BBC for New Year's Eve musical entertainment.

We've these connected via a bit of modern technology, to a couple of iPods and our vintage hifi equipment. 320 selections at a touch of a button (or three) including some Blondie tracks.

mu3r.jpg
  • Options
    sandydunesandydune Posts: 10,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    John is a little mover isn't he?:o
  • Options
    sandydunesandydune Posts: 10,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can you feel the love?:D
  • Options
    AmbassadorAmbassador Posts: 22,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sandydune wrote: »
    John is a little mover isn't he?:o

I see having a seizure whilst hollering out of tune
  • Options
    LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    Ambassador wrote: »
    I see having a seizure whilst hollering out of tune

Folk music?

Only kidding :D.
  • Options
    mal2poolmal2pool Posts: 5,690
    Forum Member
    Wish Mel C would stop trying to sing. Sounds like a cat being mangled.
  • Options
    BorefestBorefest Posts: 9,557
    Forum Member
    mal2pool wrote: »

Her singing is as almost as bad as her dress sense:o:o

This show is pants tonight I can remember when it was good.
  • Options
    AbMan51AbMan51 Posts: 367
    Forum Member
    ftv wrote: »
    I assume they call it live because the artistes were alive when it was recorded ?

That usually makes things easier...can't be any worse than faking midnight celebrations than trying to get a tune out of a dead artist.
  • Options
    dodradedodrade Posts: 23,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was common knowledge that it's pre-recorded. A few years ago they even repeated it the next day.
  • Options
    AmbassadorAmbassador Posts: 22,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ray Davies is bloody awful
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member

What the hell's happened to Ray?

I saw him live the year before last and he was fantastic...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    mal2pool wrote: »

First song that's interested me so far, because it's a Stevie number.
    If I didn't fancy her something rotten, I'd have said she had an enormous cheek doing it at all, but I do fancy her.
    Charlie Wilson would have made a better fist of it.
    They didn't do the breaks either.

Oh dear they somehow castrated the Gap Bands Oops in the mixing, lack of oomph.
  • Options
    BorefestBorefest Posts: 9,557
    Forum Member
    Ray Davis................I have seen healthier looking corpses:o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    CABLEDUDE wrote: »
    What the hell's happened to Ray?

I saw him live the year before last and he was fantastic...

Poor preparation, feeling tom n dick, who knows?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Borefest wrote: »

I'm on timeshift and a bit behind, ff his first appearance.
    Oh dear, it's all going wrong for Ray.
    Bet whoevers on the mixing desk is working for their pay now :)
  • Options
    FrankBTFrankBT Posts: 4,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He suffers from the same problem that so many veteran pop stars suffer from at that age. He just can't sing in tune, and he was never a good singer in his heyday.

Really below par Hootenanny this year. Only tuned in for Lisa Stanfield and even she was disappointing. Only Emeli Sande so far is the first artist to put in a decent performance.
  • Options
    tiltonlandtiltonland Posts: 234
    Forum Member
    Borefest wrote: »

I'd like to know where,,,he was awful,,he won't be on next years show that's for sure.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    FrankBT wrote: »
    He suffers from the same problem that so many veteran pop stars suffer from at that age. He just can't sing in tune, and he was never a good singer in his heyday.

Really below par Hootenanny this year. Only tuned in for Lisa Stanfield and even she was disappointing. Only Emeli Sande so far is the first artist to put in a decent performance.

I shouldn't giggle at Ray, but thought the band must have been working double time in their heads.

Lisa's been a disappointment, I can only guess she hasn't kept her hand in.
  • Options
    dodradedodrade Posts: 23,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For years I got the name wrong and thought it was called Hootmany.