Options

Coping with anxiety

player1player1 Posts: 2,518
Forum Member
✭✭✭
So after several years of living with an 'eating disorder', I have finally realised that what I suffer from is actually an 'anxiety disorder' which exhibits itself with a number of symptoms - one of which is food control.

I am slightly obsessive and a worrier by nature, mild OCD tendencies and as a result I am only comfortable when in strict routines. Ie eating same food on same days of week at the same time, rigid patterns of living, habitual weighing and measuring, and panic whenever the routine is interrupted. I also suffer from catastrophic thinking, always fearing the worst case outcome.

My reaction to any anxiety is to attempt to correct the cause there and then, no matter what the problem is and whether the 'threat' is to me or to a family member.

I realise that the only way out of this is to learn to tolerate, even welcome uncertainty and cope with the emotions which it generates.

So rather than looking for advice, I simply ask - how do you react / cope / deal with uncertainty and anxious thoughts ? I suffer from no more or less problems than the next person - the main difference is my inability to handle them.

Learning how others manage anxiety and worry can only help me develop my own coping mechanisms.

Comments

• Options
    frisky pythonfrisky python Posts: 9,737
    Forum Member
    I suffer with anxiety too OP. Have you had any professional help? I'm now having psychotherapy to address the underlying issues and so I don't rely on "coping mechanisms".
  • Options
    JeffersonJefferson Posts: 3,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cultivate a slow reaction to events, with thought remaining fairly quiet. We actually cultivate a twittering state of mind all day long.

When you wake up each day don't bother setting off the thought process, asking yourself what day is it, what have I got to do today etc. If your still feeling groggy from the sleep, use it and stay quite.
  • Options
    Danny_SilverDanny_Silver Posts: 902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I managed by reading and listening to videos on how to stop thinking and live in the moment.
  • Options
    David MillsDavid Mills Posts: 742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I managed by reading and listening to videos on how to stop thinking and live in the moment.

Yes this is definitely part of it.

For me, meditating works. I meditate for 15 minutes a day most days and if I'm really feeling awful then I make sure I do it.

How meditation works is it slows the breathing, when the body takes in more oxygen it releases natural calming chemicals and the more oxygen in the body the heart rate slows down, plus it stops thoughts that are all over the place and calms the mind too. Over time the results are amazing.

I get anxiety but perhaps once every few months and by that I mean a mild feeling of being anxious, and to me that's become normal life. Very used to feeling calm.

A tip I learned from watching a video about anxiety on youtube is that anxiety is caused by thoughts that are buzzing around in the head with nowhere to go, for example if someone was stressed out and thinking over and over their room needed to be tidied, they'd tidy the room and the thoughts would relax.

But if the anxiety is about something that can't happen like worrying someone will die or get hurt, then the thoughts can't become something, so this woman said take a piece of paper, I personally opened notepad and write down everything that is in your mind even if it makes no sense, even if it's scary and swear and let it all out.

So anytime I feel anxious I do that and at the end just close it without saving, what happens is it moves all those thoughts around and it can feel terrible but if you're already feeling terrible but keeping it inside, it doesn't matter then after I've done it and had enough I stop, then a while after that my mood changes and I feel more clear again.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes this is definitely part of it.

For me, meditating works. I meditate for 15 minutes a day most days and if I'm really feeling awful then I make sure I do it.

How meditation works is it slows the breathing, when the body takes in more oxygen it releases natural calming chemicals and the more oxygen in the body the heart rate slows down, plus it stops thoughts that are all over the place and calms the mind too. Over time the results are amazing.

I get anxiety but perhaps once every few months and by that I mean a mild feeling of being anxious, and to me that's become normal life. Very used to feeling calm.

A tip I learned from watching a video about anxiety on youtube is that anxiety is caused by thoughts that are buzzing around in the head with nowhere to go, for example if someone was stressed out and thinking over and over their room needed to be tidied, they'd tidy the room and the thoughts would relax.

But if the anxiety is about something that can't happen like worrying someone will die or get hurt, then the thoughts can't become something, so this woman said take a piece of paper, I personally opened notepad and write down everything that is in your mind even if it makes no sense, even if it's scary and swear and let it all out.

So anytime I feel anxious I do that and at the end just close it without saving, what happens is it moves all those thoughts around and it can feel terrible but if you're already feeling terrible but keeping it inside, it doesn't matter then after I've done it and had enough I stop, then a while after that my mood changes and I feel more clear again.

If you have something going round and round your head like a problamatic dilemma just write your conclusion down. You'll be surprised how short it is and there will be "no need" to keep "rehearshing" it over and over again.

Develop a quiet "action without idea" stance. Realising how much thought is a hinderance most of the time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I use meditation too but this takes practice and isn't a quick fix. I've been practising since April and my anxiety is still very high when it comes to doing the things that my anxiety revolves around. Outside of that I'm pretty calm and enjoy meditating but I do know it'll take lots of practice before it'll change how I am.

OP if you want to have a go I can recommend Headspace, it's 10mins a day for 10days which is free and then you can pay to go further should you want to. It is based on mindfulness which is shown to help with anxiety and depression. https://www.headspace.com
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suffer from anxiety and I find it helps to chat with my sibling as they know me well and can tell me when I am behaving different. Also I find that when I am in a stressful situation I say to myself not to worry and that this time tonight (or whatever timeframe fits) it will all be over.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks all for the feedback.

FP - yes I have received therapy which has helped bring me to an awareness of anxiety being the root cause , and disordered eating a symptom. I struggle to use that increased awareness to change behaviour's though.

Interesting comments on "living in the moment" and mindfulness - I find rumination a big problem and have explored ways to attemt to concentrate on the present moment - all very well in theory but anxious thoughts never fully disappear.

Hence my attempts to understand how others "live with" the anxiety. Headspace sounds interesting and worth exploring.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    player1 wrote: »

FP - yes I have received therapy which has helped bring me to an awareness of anxiety being the root cause , and disordered eating a symptom. I struggle to use that increased awareness to change behaviour's though.

Interesting comments on "living in the moment" and mindfulness - I find rumination a big problem and have explored ways to attemt to concentrate on the present moment - all very well in theory but anxious thoughts never fully disappear.

Hence my attempts to understand how others "live with" the anxiety. Headspace sounds interesting and worth exploring.

It's not about "concentration". Awareness of inattention is attention.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    player1 wrote: »

Part of therapy is to help you through an effective change though - did you not go that far? Changing a mindset like anxiety takes time to do and you're rewriting the book on how you react.

How others live with it is that they just don't get caught up in the fear. The fear isn't overwhelming enough to stop them going about their lives IYSWIM?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Part of therapy is to help you through an effective change though - did you not go that far? Changing a mindset like anxiety takes time to do and you're rewriting the book on how you react.

How others live with it is that they just don't get caught up in the fear. The fear isn't overwhelming enough to stop them going about their lives IYSWIM?

Still going through it FP - for the last couple of weeks I've made small changes ( not weighing ) and attempting to live with the uncertainty of not looking to the scales for reassurance - noticing the 'fear factor' but living with it ( trying to compare it to the andrenaline rush prior to a roller coaster ride ). Such a small change but it's a start - I wish I was able to do more though
  • Options
    oldcrakpotoldcrakpot Posts: 428
    Forum Member
    HI

I have the view, if by your decision you have an effect on an outcome, its important

If your decision/ideas are irrelevant why bother to worry